Speculation: Teams inquiring about Nathan Beaulieu : Used as bait for a top 6 LW ?

CharlesHabsFan

Jun 28, 2012
Sherbrooke, QC
Per François Gagnon in his column on RDS, Marc Bergevin has received calls from other teams inquiring about Nathan Beaulieu.

Gagnon states that the rookie camp held this weekend will determine a lot of what management think Beaulieu's role is in comparison to new rookie project Mikhail Sergachev.

Gagnon adds that Beaulieu could be used as bait to bring in a top 6 LW, Canadiens being thin at that position.

Beaulieu servira-t-il d'appât ?

I honestly think this is a horrible idea, but as a first thread I started, I think, I'm wondering what would teams' fans offer for Nathan Beaulieu to bring in 2nd line LW to Montréal ?

Very important to specify that this is all in the hypothesis Sergachev is the star of training camp and management belives he's ready for the biggest role of top pairing defenseman, making Beaulieu's position with the team compromised.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
All this is happening since he defended patches on twitter

Habs management is amazing

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
as a Canuck fan, Bergevin is reaching Benning levels of stupidity.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Oh for **** sakes, if this management moves Beaulieu we are ****ED on the left side.

Weber is slow, Markov is 38 in a few months, Emelin is Emelin.

Putting All your eggs in Sergachev's basket is BEYOND stupid hoping a newly turned 18 year old can turn out to essentially replace Markov at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did it tho.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Markov - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Barberio - Pateryn
Redmond

Samuelsson - Lernout
Hanley - Johnston
Parisi - Didier
Thrower - Blain

So much depth without Beaulieu :sarcasm:

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Why, our LD is gonna be paper thin and slow without beaulieu. Cant we see what our offense looks like before we destroy our D to upgrade our forwards?

Bergevin has been on a downwards slope this last year

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Does Beaulieu really have the same value as a top 6 forward?

He probably has more value than some Top-6 forwards.
But his value isn't quite the value the Top-6 forwards you actually want on your team.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Does Beaulieu really have the same value as a top 6 forward?

• He's an excellent skater, can defend himself or a team mate easily, and has good size.
  • He's not shown (yet) that he has the tools to be much of a point producer. His ceiling is likely 30 points.
  • He'll be 24 this season.

I think he's top 4 on some teams. His ability to skate the puck out of danger is a big asset. Is he worth a forward that can score 20 goals and chip in 40-50 points? It's close imo. Right team, right player.

As much as Montreal needs a legitimate scorer for the lw, I'm not sure they can afford to move Nathan. Even with Sergachev in the fold, he and a guy like Juulsen are very young. Nathan is by no means old, but he's got 150 games of NHL experience and 12 playoff games. With Markov likely to retire after this year, the club is really thin on the left side.

I'd rather let some of the young, very talented, kids fight for that spot and keep Nathan.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
  • He's an excellent skater, can defend himself or a team mate easily, and has good size.
  • He's not shown (yet) that he has the tools to be much of a point producer. His ceiling is likely 30 points.
  • He'll be 24 this season.

I think he's top 4 on some teams. His ability to skate the puck out of danger is a big asset. Is he worth a forward that can score 20 goals and chip in 40-50 points? It's close imo. Right team, right player.

As much as Montreal needs a legitimate scorer for the lw, I'm not sure they can afford to move Nathan. Even with Sergachev in the fold, he and a guy like Juulsen are very young. Nathan is by no means old, but he's got 150 games of NHL experience and 12 playoff games. With Markov likely to retire after this year, the club is really thin on the left side.

I'd rather let some of the young, very talented, kids fight for that spot and keep Nathan.

His potential is alot higher than that wathcing him play. I would say 45 point 2 way D. He plays really amazing when he plays with confidence and when Therrien allows him to be himself but plays poorly when hes restricted and plays 15 minutes per game. He plays as if he's afraid to lose his spot.
Either way, I would rather see how Beaulieu plays on top pairing with Weber (i think he's ready) and if Sergechev is also ready, he can play alongside Markov, the perfect mentor for him, on the third pairing playing 17 to 20 minutes per game with some time on the PP.

So something like
Beaulieu - Weber
Emelin/Pateryn - Petry
Markov - Sergechev (this lets serg play on his good side)
Extras: Barberio, Redmond

No need of a top 6 LW when the habs have Lehkonen, Carr, Hudon, Ghetto all ready for that role.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bergevin is "receiving calls", sound familiar to you? Personally I didn't mind trading Beaulieu before Subban got traded, but we need him this year. Unless Sergachev just absolutely dominates.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think trading Beaulieu would be very risky, it puts way too much pressure on Sergachev. I am confident he will be a great player but this stinks of rushing / setting him up to fail.

The benefits of him going all the way in the OHL outway our need for a strong left handed D.

That being said I can see something around Beaulieu for Yakupov.

Radulov - Galchenyuk - Yakupov
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Carr - Desharnais - Shaw
Byron - Danault - Mitchell / Flynn

Sergachev - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn /Barberio

Price
Montoya

Not too bad.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I think trading Beaulieu would be very risky, it puts way too much pressure on Sergachev. I am confident he will be a great player but this stinks of rushing / setting him up to fail.

The benefits of him going all the way in the OHL outway our need for a strong left handed D.

Carr - Desharnais - Shaw

Sergachev - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn /Barb

Price
Montoya

Not too bad.

as a habs fan there's no ****ing way i'm trading beaulieu for yakupov. no chance

victor

Sep 6, 2003

Carr - Desharnais - Shaw

Sergachev - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn /Barb

Price
Montoya

Not too bad.

Edmonton has Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, Nurse, Reinhart on the left defense.

I can't see them moving a player for another left shooting defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->