Dreger: Teams calling about Jordan Greenway. Yet to meet Minnesota's valuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
very frustrating player because he's got the tools and decent skill but the motivation is absent. maybe one year deals for the rest of his life would work? I like him, he's a great guy and would probably be in the top 5 players on the team i'd just chill with on a regular basis but knowing he is capable of doing so much more out there and worried that you'll see him flip that switch on another team...That has to be tough. They've maybe set a higher than reasonable price because it's worth it to them to carry that cap hit on the chance he'll "get it". He's young. If he finds something that get's him cranked up for a game he could be a skilled beast out there. Laziness is one of the worst tags you can can acquire in hockey--it's a hard sell when you're trying to trade a guy that looks lazy most nights.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
The holdup is chuck needs some 3rd party retention on greenway so he can steal both greenway AND stanley, AND have the space to lock them both up long term.

We have a few seconds later this decade luckily

Reactions: Sota Popinski

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It’s an interesting one. Miles isn’t a “good” player, but his speed is a plus skill and he’s been more productive than Greenway.

Just throwing things out there, don’t think the Wild would jump on it by any means.
Minnesota would be interested in Wood’s expiring contract. It’s a decent premise.

I don’t think Fitz screws with the morale like that, though. We’re riding with BMW.

Although I would love Greenway.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
I've seen it suggested elsewhere that this is Guerin using Dreger to manipulate Chuck Fletcher.

Given Fletcher's track record, I believe that to be at least a strong possibility.
Well, considering how long the Flyers have held onto some of their traditional underachievers Greenway would fit right in.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
I’ve watched him a couple times, literally every game he’s useless.
Useless? Keep in mind he was on a line last year that went months without giving up a 5x5 goal. He's got some game but like guys like Sam Bennett he needs a change of scenery. (Not saying he will produce like Bennett did post-trade). Greenway did have 35 points two years ago.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
very frustrating player because he's got the tools and decent skill but the motivation is absent. maybe one year deals for the rest of his life would work? I like him, he's a great guy and would probably be in the top 5 players on the team i'd just chill with on a regular basis but knowing he is capable of doing so much more out there and worried that you'll see him flip that switch on another team...That has to be tough. They've maybe set a higher than reasonable price because it's worth it to them to carry that cap hit on the chance he'll "get it". He's young. If he finds something that get's him cranked up for a game he could be a skilled beast out there. Laziness is one of the worst tags you can can acquire in hockey--it's a hard sell when you're trying to trade a guy that looks lazy most nights.
a poor man's chris stewart? your description of the motivational issues summoned stewart's face to my brain

from an opposing fan's perspective, he always seemed to be the weaker part of the GREEF line, but a useful third liner nonetheless

can't imagine guerin would sell low on him and can't see anyone paying what he's worth based on his current trajectory, so i'd guess he stays until the draft

Reactions: rynryn

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
a poor man's chris stewart? your description of the motivational issues summoned stewart's face to my brain

from an opposing fan's perspective, he always seemed to be the weaker part of the GREEF line, but a useful third liner nonetheless

can't imagine guerin would sell low on him and can't see anyone paying what he's worth based on his current trajectory, so i'd guess he stays until the draft
Very different from Chris Stewart, at least when he was on the Wild, Stewart had speed and a surprisingly decent shot but was bad at pretty much everything else. Greenway has no shot at all, but pretty good playmaking vision and is very good on the cycle and defensively. Uses his reach to his advantage in the corners, and prior to the injuries this season, was physical.

JEE pretty heavily carried the whole line IMO, but they did have good overall chemistry when it came to cycling, but with Greenway unable to shoot the puck this season from UBI’s and Foligno unable to skate from LBI’s, they have been completely neutered from playing the smothering cycle game that was so successful.

Reactions: BlueOil

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

yeah, this was pretty much what i was anticipating when the shopping talk started. He was a complimentary part of that line when it was rolling--worked well for that very specific role. Maybe like the Penner in the Penner Getzlaf Perry dynamic. Not that the two lines were at all similar but it ended up there was one guy that stood out in a bad way when separated.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
With retention for Brock McGinn? Or enough retention to even out cap hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad