Team toughness

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
This is why I think Lindgren makes the roster. Him and Smith need to be given every chance to make the lineup. Smith should be able to have a good offseason and play his game now that AV will be gone, but we have a very soft defense. Pionk plays hard and shows toughness but Smith and Lindgren can bring more physical toughness. Then we have Lias, Kreider, Zucc and Fast, plus Chytil is a bull who plays hard.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I love how people shit on ADA. How many people would take Julius Honka? 4 points in 42 games last season in Dallas. 22 years old. It takes guys longer to develop sometimes. ADA looked better as the year progressed. He still make a bad decision here and there but that comes with the territory of actually carrying the puck and looking to make a play.

I agree, he also brings an edge to his game

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I love how people **** on ADA. How many people would take Julius Honka? 4 points in 42 games last season in Dallas. 22 years old. It takes guys longer to develop sometimes. ADA looked better as the year progressed. He still make a bad decision here and there but that comes with the territory of actually carrying the puck and looking to make a play.

I agree, he also brings an edge to his game

Completely agree. He could be a poor man's PK Subban in terms of style. This team needs a troll with some actual skill and nastiness. It's been missing since Avery left.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
At least this thread is starting to turn towards something the Rangers need far more than toughness, more defenders who have enough talent to eventually possibly play above the 3rd pair and do well with those minutes/match-ups.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would argue that a player can be tough, and even "hard to play against", without being a d-bag. Again, Kreider, when he's on his game, would be a good example.

Get me more guys like that. No need for Avery types any more than there is for goons.

I would disagree. Kreider when he is on his game plays like a d-bag. I wish he brought it more often honestly. Playing hard consistently makes opposing teams hate you because you make their life difficult. That's my definition

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I would disagree. Kreider when he is on his game plays like a d-bag. I wish he brought it more often honestly. Playing hard consistently makes opposing teams hate you because you make their life difficult. That's my definition
Nah, disagree completely. Kreider playing like a bull in a china shop is very different from Avery slashing at players' ankles, making reprehensible comments about their loved ones, and other BS antics. The difference is pretty cut-and-dried, IMO.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nah, disagree completely. Kreider playing like a bull in a china shop is very different from Avery slashing at players' ankles, making reprehensible comments about their loved ones, and other BS antics. The difference is pretty cut-and-dried, IMO.

Doesn't it depend on your definition? Was Callahan a PIA? I am sure other teams fans felt he was a d-bag. I feel like Wayne Simmonds is a d-bag but that's mainly because of the intensity he plays with and his consistent physical style.

I think we are speaking with different definitions in mind

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
almost 100 posts in and this hasn't been posted.

yutRrqm.gif

sickening. will never forget this. how Eakin received no response and how Skeij just casually carries the puck still rustles my jimmies to this day.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Has anyone actually been seriously advocating for 1970s / early 80s style meat heads ?

Or has it just been intentional obtuseness as usual?
When McLeod was claimed, there was a sense among a small group that we've seen the opposition touch a Ranger player for the last time.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Buch being soft is partially untrue. I can recall a couple of times where he tried to be tough. Succeeded not many times.
Doesn't matter because Buch is perfectly servicable as he is. He's a sick playmaker and skilled forward. Needs to be complemented ( ;) ) though, with a sniper and TWF, but that's the nature of our club right now. We don't have anchors like other teams. Except for Hank and he's in net.

Anyhow, yes we need toughness. It's means gnarl, bite, vengeance, not f***ing goonery, not bad penalties and ineptitude otherwise. So many teams have skilled tough players in the game TODAY! I'd kill to have f***ing Hornqvist f. ex. or at least some kind of physical philosophy on our team.
I have watched the King being ran over so many times for so many years. And even then it told us that he's basically the only man in the army. Seldomly anybody cared to step in.

Toughness remains one of the holes of this team. Although the rookie stock on LHD looks promising.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dumpin

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We already have a better version of Simmonds, so I wouldn't be willing to pay the price it would cost.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We already have a better version of Simmonds, so I wouldn't be willing to pay the price it would cost.

Wouldn't it be nice to get another one?

I like the idea of Domi and Bennett, both players play with a bit of an edge.

I've mentioned Brendan Lemiuex as a player who might fit as a depth forward who may be blocked a bit in Winnipeg. He also brings some offense with 43 points in 51 games in the AHL at 22 years old.

Those are the types of players, and around the age of player, I'd be targeting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wouldn't it be nice to get another one?

I like the idea of Domi and Bennett, both players play with a bit of an edge.

I've mentioned Brendan Lemiuex as a player who might fit as a depth forward who may be blocked a bit in Winnipeg. He also brings some offense with 43 points in 51 games in the AHL at 22 years old.

Those are the types of players, and around the age of player, I'd be targeting.
It would be amazing to get another one, but I wouldn't pay the cost on Simmonds if it isn't a desperate need.

Now getting one of those younger guys is a different story. They won't cost as much as Simmonds who has multiple 30 goal seasons and is making UFA money. I say hell yes to that.

Domi is the reincarnation of Prime Sean Avery. They even wear the same number.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

That'd be pretty disappointing for Max and the Yotes/what every team he's on going forward. Max has been a much better contributor / offensive player at every level of hockey.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It would be amazing to get another one, but I wouldn't pay the cost on Simmonds if it isn't a desperate need.

Now getting one of those younger guys is a different story. They won't cost as much as Simmonds who has multiple 30 goal seasons and is making UFA money. I say hell yes to that.

Agreed on Simmonds, Finding a younger version of him would be ideal though

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad