Team toughness

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I would still gladly take it on this team.

Agreed. I've been dying for Antoine Roussel or Tom Wilson on this team. They are more comparable to Avery in terms of the offense they bring with the 'toughness'.

I think you and most others dislike Wilson though.

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Agreed. I've been dying for Antoine Roussel or Tom Wilson on this team. They are more comparable to Avery in terms of the offense they bring with the 'toughness'.

I think you and most others dislike Wilson though.
Wilson isn't a good enough player to make what he brings an asset. You have to hang out there or your toughness means nothing. 35 points this year playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom. Give me a stick....

Roussel is a good, solid player.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I have the perfect player for the Rangers.
-cheap contract
-in his prime
-led his team in scoring three straight years
-emotional tough leader
-hits and will stand up to anyone, anywhere, any time
-has expressed a burning desire to be in NY as a Ranger

That player is..............................................................................................................................well he’s already here. Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc. So let’s trade him:huh::help:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have the perfect player for the Rangers.
-cheap contract
-in his prime
-led his team in scoring three straight years
-emotional tough leader
-hits and will stand up to anyone, anywhere, any time
-has expressed a burning desire to be in NY as a Ranger

That player is..............................................................................................................................well he’s already here. Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc. So let’s trade him:huh::help:
With you on keeping Zucc.

Good player with fire, been our leading scorer since George Washington was on the team, built-in leader, already has chemistry with Chytil.

Now, it all depends on contract talks, but I could see him giving us a break.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
With you on keeping Zucc.

Good player with fire, been our leading scorer since George Washington was on the team, built-in leader, already has chemistry with Chytil.

Now, it all depends on contract talks, but I could see him giving us a break.
Isn't he already signed through next season?

I would only trade Zucc if we got that "offer you can't refuse".
Yes to Roussel as well.
I haven't seen Spooner play a gritty style but Namestnikov has shown some some grit at times.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Isn't he already signed through next season?

I would only trade Zucc if we got that "offer you can't refuse".
Yes to Roussel as well.
I haven't seen Spooner play a gritty style but Namestnikov has shown some some grit at times.
Zuccarello is signed, yes, but the time is now to make a decision.

He has to be flipped for assets if he isn't being kept.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Guys we've had recently who were nasty and could play:

-Derek Dorsett
-Dan Carcillo
-Brian Boyle
-Dan Boyle

I'd love to have another Carcillo on this team. Good defender, could PK, would give you 10 goals, knew how to skate. That guy was lit.

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

-Derek Dorsett
-Dan Carcillo
-Brian Boyle
-Dan Boyle

I'd love to have another Carcillo on this team. Good defender, could PK, would give you 10 goals, knew how to skate. That guy was lit.

Three 4th liners and a guy I'd never expect or put on this list myself.

Edit: I'd start with putting younger Dubi on this list.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

-Derek Dorsett
-Dan Carcillo
-Brian Boyle
-Dan Boyle

Dorsett scored 8 points in 51 games as a Ranger as sported a -6.8% CF Rel, I'm surprised you included him in this list

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
It doesn't have anything to do with your skill/ toughness level.

It has everything to do with who's going to go that extra mile and leave it all out on the ice.

Someone who is going to set the example and rally the troops.

There's a reason why there are generals and there are officers.

Structure and team.

Someone has to be the leader in any objective!
Honestly a lot of that tone gets set by the coach. Look at the Torts team v AV team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hot take: If Keefe is the coach, ADA will bust through his potential.

I could see ADA being a Boyle type player. Good two-way player, plays PP, takes no shit.

I really like the kid and I thought he had a promising year.

He needs to work on the net front a bit and channel that attitude in that area. But that's coachable.

Reactions: GregSirico

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Having goons on a team is completely worthless. You needs guys that can play, but you also need a culture of a team that stands up for one another.
And there is nothing wrong with that. I think if you poll all the Ranger fans, 99% of them would be on board with bringing guys who can skate, shoot, make plays, has a high hockey IQ and all around skilled player who brings 100% effort in everything he does.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Dorsett scored 8 points in 51 games as a Ranger as sported a -6.8% CF Rel, I'm surprised you included him in this list
Relative numbers can be dangerous. He was on the team during our two best possession years in the last decade. Somebody has to have bad rel.

His raw was a little bit under 50 which is fine for a 4th liner. He wasn't as good as Carcillo, but he was worlds ahead of McLeod and Glass.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You mean Dan Boyle as a Ranger? Maybe in a presser :sarcasm: but on the ice he'd only be ahead of Clendenning and Staal among his D contemporaries. Whatever.

Dan Boyle was in the top 5 defenseman in the NHL in home plate shots against from 2010-2016.

Because he would slash anyone who walked in there.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I could see ADA being a Boyle type player. Good two-way player, plays PP, takes no ****.

I really like the kid and I thought he had a promising year.

He needs to work on the net front a bit and channel that attitude in that area. But that's coachable.
I think he was WAY better than defensively than I thought to be honest. I was expecting a turn style ... he is not that. Just need a coach to get him back on his offensive game.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think some people forget how good Boyle was. If ADA is half of Boyle, this isn't a win, it's a HEIST.

Don't get it with Rangers fans and Boyle.

Sharks fans loved him and Lightning fans loved him. We're pretty much alone on that one.

Sure, the offensive game wasn't there anymore at 38 years old (shocker) but he offered very good defense along with some ferocity and leadership. Prime Boyle is a lofty ask, but a younger version of old Boyle would fit this team like a glove.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Don't get it with Rangers fans and Boyle.

Sharks fans loved him and Lightning fans loved him. We're pretty much alone on that one.

Sure, the offensive game wasn't there anymore at 38 years old (shocker) but he offered very good defense along with some ferocity and leadership. Prime Boyle is a lofty ask, but a younger version of old Boyle would fit this team like a glove.
I think it's how much money we gave him combined with the fact that he was WAY past his prime. We did what the Rangers do, get guys in their twilight not their prime.

Reactions: Machinehead

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Has to be TEAM toughness...one or 2 guys doing all the lifting does NOT work in the game today . I would grab Adam McQuaid . Good for our team for couple of more seasons until some of our younger kids grown into their surroundings and he will babysit them in the meantime . Yes...he is slow but he has a ton of experience and could play on our D like I said for a couple of more seasons . He would not be a long term investment by any means . UFA in 2019 cap hit of 2.75 . Plus he is the wife's cousin. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad