Team toughness

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What I'm fine with

-A culture of team toughness instilled by the right coach
-Bringing in good hockey players who offer that
-Identifying it properly instead of bringing in soft and lazy players like McLeod

What I'm totally not fine with

-Making toughness/leadership a priority over skill
-Bringing in bad players who offer that (like McLeod, Glass)
-Getting rid of good players because they don't fit that. (Not every player has to be tough)

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
What I'm fine with

-A culture of team toughness instilled by the right coach
-Bringing in good hockey players who offer that
-Identifying it properly instead of bringing in soft and lazy players like McLeod

What I'm totally not fine with

-Making toughness/leadership a priority over skill
-Bringing in bad players who offer that (like McLeod, Glass)
-Getting rid of good players because they don't fit that. (Not every player has to be tough)

It doesn't have anything to do with your skill/ toughness level.

It has everything to do with who's going to go that extra mile and leave it all out on the ice.

Someone who is going to set the example and rally the troops.

There's a reason why there are generals and there are officers.

Structure and team.

Someone has to be the leader in any objective!

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It doesn't have anything to do with your skill/ toughness level.

It has everything to do with who's going to go that extra mile and leave it all out on the ice.

Someone who is going to set the example and rally the troops.

There's a reason why there are generals and there are officers.

Structure and team.

Someone has to be the leader in any objective!

The leader is the coach. That's where most of this comes from.

Our previous coach didn't address it just like he pretty much didn't address anything.

This team has players who will compete. I wouldn't mind them bringing in another rat who can play. But the biggest change will be behind the bench.

Reactions: GregSirico

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
The leader is the coach. That's where most of this comes from.

Our previous coach didn't address it just like he pretty much didn't address anything.

This team has players who will compete. I wouldn't mind them bringing in another rat who can play. But the biggest change will be behind the bench.

Werd

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You don't need tough players. You just need players that are tough. It starts with the coaching.

Case and point. I can see kreider Vesey Hayes and ADA as players that are tough but AV didn't let it happen.

ADA has the potential to be such a pain in the ass to play against but we immediately squashed that.

f*** it, the kid is a D-bag, let him be a D-bag.

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kovalchuk is an excellent target.

Talented, gives us some skills we need. Also a fiery competitor, mixes it up.

Captained the Trashers and SKA. Should have captained the Devils but Lou is a weirdo.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I’ve been on record as a huge Pionk proponent since his first preseason game, but he also strikes me as a guy who is more than willing to throw his (limited) weight around when the situation calls for it. Kid has spunk.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
ADA has the potential to be such a pain in the ass to play against but we immediately squashed that.

**** it, the kid is a D-bag, let him be a D-bag.

My thing with ADA is that he needs to tighten up his game in his own end.

He's got the awareness and can skate.

Why doesn't he bring that snarl in his own end and in front of the net?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My thing with ADA is that he needs to tighten up his game in his own end.

He's got the awareness and can skate.

Why doesn't he bring that snarl in his own end and in front of the net?

AV already didn't like him because he's young and talented, and you want him to have snarl on top of it?

His TOI would have been in the negative.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
AV already didn't like him because he's young and talented, and you want him to have snarl on top of it?

His TOI would have been in the negative.

You know I wanted AV out as much as anyone but I can't really fault him for ADA's defensive deficiencies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You know I wanted AV out as much as anyone but I can't really fault him for ADA's defensive deficiencies.

For all his defensive deficiencies, ten defenseman had a better shot differential in 2018 than ADA. Ten.

Nobody is going to accuse him of being the 11th best defenseman, but you can't tell me he doesn't deserve a look in a real system. Outshooting your opponent is important.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
For all his defensive deficiencies, ten defenseman had a better shot differential in 2018 than ADA. Ten.

Nobody is going to accuse him of being the 11th best defenseman, but you can't tell me he doesn't deserve a look in a real system. Outshooting your opponent is important.

There's no denying the kid is talented but you have to partner him up with a rock on D and that's becoming more and more difficult with the way the game has changed.

Fast FWD a couple of years and I'd love to see him with Lindgren..

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
There's no denying the kid is talented but you have to partner him up with a rock on D and that's becoming more and more difficult with the way the game has changed.

Fast FWD a couple of years and I'd love to see him with Lindgren..

What if he’s average at best, and all the other unrealized hypothetical stuff I’d just a bunch of nonesense?

It is possible.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Having goons on a team is completely worthless. You needs guys that can play, but you also need a culture of a team that stands up for one another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad