Post-Game Talk: team that will win cup playing against team that will be eliminated in 2nd round 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well darn, that's a bit more of a conspiracy than we usually have around here. That game sucks to be a part of, but it was fun to watch, fandom aside. There were some horrible blunders, but so be it. I like where this team is right now.

It's not a conspiracy, it's not an excuse, it's nothing but a footnote for a regular season game.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You're kidding right?

Obviously the referees aren't the biggest reason why they lost but they played a major part in that game. If you didn't watch the game then just feel free to watch the highlights of their 1st, 6th and 8th goal.

the 1st goal was fine, unless you're talking about the penalty where Winnik went after Hornqvist, coincidental penalties is the standard there.

6th goal was fine since Winnik tripped Hornqvist into the goalie.

8th goal, im not sure what you're talking about. You should be mad at Kuznetsov's pathetic soft play in the Pens corner.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
the 1st goal was fine, unless you're talking about the penalty where Winnik went after Hornqvist, coincidental penalties is the standard there.

6th goal was fine since Winnik tripped Hornqvist into the goalie.

8th goal, im not sure what you're talking about. You should be mad at Kuznetsov's pathetic soft play in the Pens corner.

I'm talking about the shot to Oshie's head that went undetected right in front of the referee. At least that's a 2 for roughing. Coincidental penalties are fine but that hit going unpenalized wasn't fine.

Hornqvist crashing into the goalie is fine. Getting tripped doesn't give you the right to poke the goalies pads into the net with your stick. Winnik had nothing to do with Hornqvist's stick poking Grubauer's pad out of the way. Any way, that should have been 2 for Winnik and disallowed goal.

Blatant trip by Crosby on Ovechkin. Not sure really what to say about that one since tripping is one of those calls which you just can't miss if you are following the play. They just decided not to call that for some bizarre reason. And yes, that was ******** play by Kuznetsov who just quit and let the Penguins have the puck. On top of that i have no idea what Ovechkin is thinking going on the forecheck there. Penguins D had the easiest job in the world to clear the puck through the boards, leaving both of the Capitals forwards behind the Penguins net and 2-on-1 for the Penguins.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, since Dec 1st

Kuznetsov and Williams are leading the team with 17 ESP.

Kuzy is 2+19 overall and Williams 13+8 (+4 PP points each) in this span.

Ovechkin is 9+12 (15 ESP + 6 PPP), Backstrom is 7+16 (15 ESP + 8 PP points).

All in 23 games.

Oshie and Johansson cooled off a bit (16 points each, Oshie lost 4 games to injury).

PS: All have less average TOI than usual (by my recollection).

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Its honestly ridiculous how this league works.

29 out of 30 coaches saw the Joel Ward GI in Game 5 vs the Rags and said that was a garbage call, but the NHL called it the correct call.

They said a defender can be hit into the goalie because the rebound going 50 mph off the goalies pads was 5 feet away, but Ovechkin can't hit Hal Gill into the net with the puck in Gills skates. The rules didn't change, the person saying this **** didn't change, but the enforcement changed.

Lets not forget the game 7 Knuble GI against the Canadiens, they defended that publicly too, because jerseys touching outside the crease isn't GI if its the Capitals, but Kunitz doing a clear crosscheck to the head of a goalie is a hockey play.

Though my favorite is that in just last years playoffs, Kuznetsov was clearly pushed into Murray, but they defended the referees publicly again.

But we get press releases from the NHL saying they decided Dupuis shooting the puck off an opposing players stick into the net after the NHL noticed Crosby deflected the puck, but before they noticed he deflected the puck it was unassisted off a shot from the Penguins.

36kap36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
Its honestly ridiculous how this league works.

29 out of 30 coaches saw the Joel Ward GI in Game 5 vs the Rags and said that was a garbage call, but the NHL called it the correct call.

They said a defender can be hit into the goalie because the rebound going 50 mph off the goalies pads was 5 feet away, but Ovechkin can't hit Hal Gill into the net with the puck in Gills skates. The rules didn't change, the person saying this **** didn't change, but the enforcement changed.

Lets not forget the game 7 Knuble GI against the Canadiens, they defended that publicly too, because jerseys touching outside the crease isn't GI if its the Capitals, but Kunitz doing a clear crosscheck to the head of a goalie is a hockey play.

Though my favorite is that in just last years playoffs, Kuznetsov was clearly pushed into Murray, but they defended the referees publicly again.

But we get press releases from the NHL saying they decided Dupuis shooting the puck off an opposing players stick into the net after the NHL noticed Crosby deflected the puck, but before they noticed he deflected the puck it was unassisted off a shot from the Penguins.

I think you raise a good point. Much like with targeting in NCAAF or a catch in the NFL, no one really knows what GI is. How can you leave a rule as-is when it is so controversial with almost every call, when it affects the game so much, and when the enforcement is defended no matter what, so as to protect the refs? I'm not saying this in a "everyone hates the Caps" way, but in a what the heck is going on throughout the league way.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I'm talking about the shot to Oshie's head that went undetected right in front of the referee. At least that's a 2 for roughing. Coincidental penalties are fine but that hit going unpenalized wasn't fine.

Hornqvist crashing into the goalie is fine. Getting tripped doesn't give you the right to poke the goalies pads into the net with your stick. Winnik had nothing to do with Hornqvist's stick poking Grubauer's pad out of the way. Any way, that should have been 2 for Winnik and disallowed goal.

Blatant trip by Crosby on Ovechkin. Not sure really what to say about that one since tripping is one of those calls which you just can't miss if you are following the play. They just decided not to call that for some bizarre reason. And yes, that was ******** play by Kuznetsov who just quit and let the Penguins have the puck. On top of that i have no idea what Ovechkin is thinking going on the forecheck there. Penguins D had the easiest job in the world to clear the puck through the boards, leaving both of the Capitals forwards behind the Penguins net and 2-on-1 for the Penguins.

Agreed, that was a thoroughly garbagely (new word) officiated game. There were some other, less board-friendly, new words invented in my basement last night.

That said, I'm not overly disappointed. Glad "the streak" didn't get a chance to become a distraction. Glad the way it ended was a game where both sides burn the tape, as it was a clear aberration rather than a warning-sign of underlying issues that have been glossed over. And glad that the Penguins finally showed some b@**z after being thoroughly neutered in the previous 2 games -- don't want the boys to get lulled into a thinking the inevitable playoff series is going to be any easier than it ever is.

All that aside -- I definitely hope the entire officiating crew had the hard-drinker's morning after: "What in God's name did I DO last night?!"

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
we're blaming the refs again huh? these GDTs never change.

Are you back to not watching games? ;). Comical to ignore what happened last night. To at least not be willing to accept the outcome was heavily impacted by some critical refereeing is hiding your head in the sand so you can continue to carry your "I hate refereeing complaints" card. Mistakes happen. Why should we pretend they didn't? Accountability.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
Horrible officiating and BS aside, the bottom line is they were up 3-0 in the second period and lost. Until this team figures out how to stop finding a way to lose, I don't like their playoff chances. Its obvious the team is elite, but last night proved the Pens and likely others (NYR) are in their head.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Horrible officiating and BS aside, the bottom line is they were up 3-0 in the second period and lost. Until this team figures out how to stop finding a way to lose, I don't like their playoff chances. Its obvious the team is elite, but last night proved the Pens and likely others (NYR) are in their head.

19 goals scored in the last 3 games vs pens but sure a 3rd game in 4 nights on the road in pitt shows that the pens are in their head..... what??

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Finding a way to lose? Were at the top of the league. Pens are good, but have issues too, and the rags are not a better team then we are. Go watch some games.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
We scored as many goals that game as we did as our last series with the pens total and lost the game on a 3 v 3. I dont think that game was indicative of anything.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Finding a way to lose? Were at the top of the league. Pens are good, but have issues too, and the rags are not a better team then we are. Go watch some games.

Finding a way to lose? Thye just won 9 straight against the cream of the NHL.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Seriously some of these comments would make a stranger suspect the Caps were a .500 team.

its interesting at least. 19 of the last 20 available points. But yea, they need to lose the right way

my question is the league going to let hornquist walk free for the head shot on Oshie?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
its interesting at least. 19 of the last 20 available points. But yea, they need to lose the right way

my question is the league going to let hornquist walk free for the head shot on Oshie?

They let Wilson walk for the hit on Moore, doubt they do anything here.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The Caps have played one (really, really) poor 15 minute stretch against the Pens this year, haven't lost to them in regulation, and have doubled them up in goals. Take away that one (really, really) poor 15 minute stretch, and they win three of four and outscore them by 300%.

Pending the Caps' performance next game, I am fine with the current state of things.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ultimately this game reinforces the fact that this team CANNOT overcome bad reffing, especially when playing against the Pens (and the Rangers too). They let the fact that it's unfair and a double standard get into their head and lose their focus, from the goalies to the skaters to the coaches. That's not something that can be addressed with deadline acquisitions, and there will be a ton of bad reffing against them in the playoffs just like there is every year. That game was a preview.

The best they can do is minimize their exposure to bad reffing, which means not having Willy on the ice being a big red cape in front of the refs, followed up by raising a ********* every time something like the Hornqvist hit goes unpunished. I don't think Willy is a POS or a liability or even that he takes a lot of stupid penalties but I'm not a zebra so it doesn't matter what I think about him. They probably need a game where they get bent over and pummeled physically without retaliating to wipe the slate clean in the eyes of the refs, so that the refs are more psychologically inclined to see a defenseless team being abused. Pens did that a few years ago with that infamous bloody Isles game where they got straight up murdered on the ice and took it and then Lemieux cried to the league about not wanting to be part of a league where his poor snowflakes get hit and beat up with intent to injure and it paid them amazing returns. They also made a big deal of being a formerly dirty team that was publicly redeeming itself, with the played up Matt Cooke redemption storyline + the trading James Neal because he was dirty storyline. That was all carefully planned out driving of a narrative.

Ultimately to win the cup you need to not only beat other teams (and their coaches) but also the refs, and even play up on league expectations and emotions of guys like Bettman and Daly (are you a Bettman validating sunbelt team? Did you almost have to relocate before a HOF knight in shining armor player saved you? Are you full of good boys and veterans with amazing ownership? etc.) For us the best angle is that it's Ovechkin's time to win the cup and that it would be an amazing storyline for the league that would bring a ton of interest just at the time when they're expanding.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So Mario wants to sell? I guess he realizes his vision of shaping the league into an all star game has failed miserably, or it's time to bail after getting his past due pay checks.

He probably cannot believe his luck. Decides to sell, and then finally gets an 8-7 game vs the lowly clutch and grab caps no less. Bonus, the big calls going his way en route to glorious victory.

This post should be pinned. Lol

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

So if the pens game proved the rags are a better team, what does NY getting blown out by Dallas mean? Just curious....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad