Post-Game Talk: team that will win cup playing against team that will be eliminated in 2nd round 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Refs sucked - BUT caps didn't deserve a point tonight - so it's a blessing we got one at least.

How many straight games have Caps at least had a point?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
That was an aberration of a game. Forget about it and move on. Refs sucked as always. But this loss is on us not the refs. At least we got a point. Also stresses how we need to finish higher up than Pittsburgh in the standings. They are a completely different team at home.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Only minor tweaks in the system (4vs4), being cool under pressure and getting some rest. We've played very well the past few weeks, the players have earned a bit of rest.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Well the pens are quite terrible defensively and their goaltending is bad. Not too worried about it!

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
That was an aberration of a game. Forget about it and move on. Refs sucked as always. But this loss is on us not the refs. At least we got a point. Also stresses how we need to finish higher up than Pittsburgh in the standings. They are a completely different team at home.

I feel same way. Refs had bad game, but we had a worse one.

That said, kudos for punching back with last two goals in regulation. We looked out of gas and overwhelmed, so I was pleased to see us send it to OT.

I wish Eller and Bura had gotten some TOI in OT. They still had legs. Ovie, on other hand, looked like he was skating in quicksand during his final shift in regulation.

Did Murray play whole game? He didn't have a strong game himself

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Can we get a little love for Nate Schmidt in here?

When every other D from both teams seemed out of sorts Schmidt was great all night. No reason he shouldn't be in the top 4 with Carlson out.

Edit: ignore his great zone exits, entries, and his assist to Eller. Defensively I don't remember many chances against while he was on the ice. Probably because he dominated the puck.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well the pens are quite terrible defensively and their goaltending is bad. Not too worried about it!

Pens are missing their 1/2 guys in Dumoulin and Letang.

Murray did let in about 3 stinkers though. His outside chance at the Calder nomination just took a huge hit.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I thought it was Kuzy who threw it weakly into the corner and Ovie overcommitted on the forecheck. Did I miss something from Nisky?
It was Niskanen's dump to Kuznetsov's side but not in a good area. It's not a good play in OT, particularly when legs aren't fresh. And, yeah, Ovechkin was floating unaware as he tends to do. Either way if you're going for the win Orlov or Schmidt probably need to be out there. Niskanen is a hedge but then they should have hedged not putting that F duo out.

They were fatigued and couldn't manage the game. At least they battled back but this should be another lesson that when they don't have much in the tank they need to be better able to think their way around some issues. And they also need much better 4-on-4/3-on-3 play and a better grasp of how spacing is altered with so much more open ice.

Take the point, take away some lessons and move on.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Can we get a little love for Nate Schmidt in here?

When every other D from both teams seemed out of sorts Schmidt was great all night. No reason he shouldn't be in the top 4 with Carlson out.

Edit: ignore his great zone exits, entries, and his assist to Eller. Defensively I don't remember many chances against while he was on the ice. Probably because he dominated the puck.

Agreed, was raving about him the other day. He was the direct cause of two goals against the hawks(I think) too.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
My biggest fear is they go back to the dump and grind system because of this game.

You are not alone.

Barry can easily turn the turtle key, but he should know what he has there already. Jennings D, coin flip 2-1 playoff games.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So Mario wants to sell? I guess he realizes his vision of shaping the league into an all star game has failed miserably, or it's time to bail after getting his past due pay checks.

He probably cannot believe his luck. Decides to sell, and then finally gets an 8-7 game vs the lowly clutch and grab caps no less. Bonus, the big calls going his way en route to glorious victory.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
This. Get some rest and put a solid game effort in against the blues. I'll take a stinker in between 9 well played games all season and playoffs long
I wouldn't even call that a stinker. Just a straight up aberration.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
This game doesn't bode well for the playoffs. It exposed this teams issues vs the Pens. No other team is scoring 6 in a period on the Caps. Pens are still in their heads. They need to fine tune their game specifically to beat the Pens to win the cup. As their weaknesses come out against them.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This game doesn't bode well for the playoffs. It exposed this teams issues vs the Pens. No other team is scoring 6 in a period on the Caps. Pens are still in their heads. They need to fine tune their game specifically to beat the Pens to win the cup. As their weaknesses come out against them.

At the same time, the Pens issues were exposed too. We scored 7 on them, and Murray looked ordinary at best. I'd like to remind you that we won our previous two games against them convincingly.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Yet the caps crushed the pens the last two times so your post really doesn't make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad