Post-Game Talk: team that will win cup playing against team that will be eliminated in 2nd round 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yet the caps crushed the pens the last two times so your post really doesn't make sense

This is a 9 game win streak. 3 shutouts in 6 games. Then 8 goals on the netminders at the hands of the team that upset* the Caps last season.

Blame it on fatigue but it's a mental thing. Holtby was stung at 3-1 mark and then the flood gates opened.

Win streaks end, but it should be from some crap team not the team that tormented you in the playoffs last year.

Arizona 12 - Capitals 0 - that is still a much better way to end a win steak. As it's a fluke. This is the same stuff that prevented the team from advancing last season.

Crash net problems, flukey like bounces like in OT etc

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This is a 9 game win streak. 3 shutouts in 6 games. Then 8 goals on the netminders at the hands of the team that upset* the Caps last season.

Blame it on fatigue but it's a mental thing. Holtby was stung at 3-1 mark and then the flood gates opened.

Win streaks end, but it should be from some crap team not the team that tormented you in the playoffs last year.

Arizona 12 - Capitals 0 - that is still a much better way to lose. As it's a fluke. This is the same stuff that prevented the team from advancing last season.

The refs tried their best but Caps still got a point. :help:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
My biggest fear is they go back to the dump and grind system because of this game.

I would probably have to agree.

This game was ridiculous and pretty painful, but I'd rather see that than whatever it was the Caps were doing in the beginning of the season.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Not really worried.

Everything went wrong defensively and they still needed massive help from officials to win. Capitals win that game 10 out of 10 times with competent refs.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
This game doesn't bode well for the playoffs. It exposed this teams issues vs the Pens. No other team is scoring 6 in a period on the Caps. Pens are still in their heads. They need to fine tune their game specifically to beat the Pens to win the cup. As their weaknesses come out against them.

It reminds the Caps that when they play their game they can handle the Pens.

Pittsburgh started running around, the officials lets them, the Caps followed suit and we witnessed pond hockey.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Good morning everyone. Normally my post should look like ******** ***** ******* ******* ****** ** and son on:laugh:

I don't know even where to start:dunno:

Intro:

When I was 13-14-15 years old and when my team was losing a game, it was always a refs fault. Since that moment, I became a more reasonable fan, a fair fan (In february I'll have my 26th birthday). So now, after games like this, I'am even more frustrated

When I went to bed after the 1st period, I would never imagine what I'll see in replay. What I've seen this morning, I don't have words to describe, how it was disgusting.

Even if Caps have finished the game 4-1 (on PP) it looks like it should be 14-1 instead.

The goals against:

1st and 2nd goals (by Pit), should never been scored. Caps should be on PP (4 minutes for Hornqvist and 2 for Winnik, in fact it should be 2 minutes for Hornqvist for the play on Oshie, then you stop the game, and Winnik never receives his 2 minutes). And the most important, the refs give them momentum for the rest of the game.
(mod) it was the key moment for Pitt. No it was the refs who gave the momentum to your stupid team.

3rd an 4th, those are unlucky bounces, you can blame the defense, goalie, Ovi, but it's more unfortunate plays than errors. Not like the 5th one, this is a Caps fault.

6th goal, it's not a goal, bad decision by the refs. Even the Pens fans were quiet and even Pierre during the review said it shouldn't count.
(+) So, it was a Wilson penalty who gave them a PP, but this call was also "funny".
- Wilson with a clean hit -> Ref don't raise his arm
- Wilson try to hang Cole -> Ref don't raise his arm
- Cole lays on Wilson -> Ref raises his arm and Wilson sent to the box.
Even if (maybe) Wilson deserved 2 minutes, but the whole sequence, and the moment when the refs raises his arm, it's "funny"

7th goal, where is the penalty for Rust on Alzner?? I'll say even more. Just before, Cole should have received a penlaty on Wilson.

8th goal, I really need to explain why this goal should never been scored and instead Caps should get 2 minutes for tripping??

Capitals:

What I liked by the Caps, they've been able to respond and comeback to 5-5 and to 7-7, in a diffucult atmosphere, situation. It's not like you're down 2-0 in the first part of the game, and then you're able to comeback.

In summary:

1) 5, FIVE, YES 5 goals by Pit, should never been scored, allowed. 5/8.

2) I want you all to remember those names. Dan O'Halloran, Frederick L'Ecuyer, Steve Barton and Derek Amell

3) Hornqvist = SOB, POS, and many many others words equal to the first 2. + You can also add Kunitz with his sleew-foot on Wilson.

4) At 3-3 and with 8:56 8:55 to go in the 2nd, Crosby should get 2 minutes. He hit Wilson in the back near Caps bench, while the puck already left #43's stick. But of course, nobody mention that play.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was nice to see a game with a ton of goals. Even better since I missed the entire 2nd period, and the Pierre Pens Slurpfest. But too bad we couldn't score in OT and send them all home clinging to their point.

PPG Paints Arena? Mario is losing it. A 20 year agreement :laugh:

Selling out for a tiny profit that lame duck name provides.... maybe he's milking every last cent he can before bailing.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
They look tired to me. 3 games in 4 nights and they didn't hold back for any of the previous 6 periods. They'll have less jump for the 2nd half of this period and even less in the 3rd, imo. Better play smart and Holtby will need to be on point.

Nice foreshadowing here - is there ominous music that went with this post

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Some very positive takeaways from last night, I thought. Caps looked tired to me after about 10 minutes into the 1st and that game was exhausting to watch so I imagine they were cooked by the 3rd yet they still battled back from down two, twice. And that game was way more important to the Pens than it was to the Caps. The Caps went 2-0-2 against the Pens this year including two convincing wins at home and two coin flip losses in Pittsburgh which should tell both teams that the narrative is different from last year. That said, last night proved we need to finish above the Pens in the regular season. I don't want to face the officials in Pittsburgh four times in a series.

I thought Schmidt was amazing... best skater on the ice for either team. Great to see Larry start to get rewarded for his solid play; if you substituted Eller for Richards last year I think we take that series in 6. Also nice to see the bottom 6 continue their production. I thought Winnik and Burakovsky looked good too.

Some negatives: I thought that was Kuzy's worst game in a while. Alzner was terrible. Beagle was bad. Holtby wasn't sharp.

Overall, weird game with a ton of flukey bounces. Take the point and move on. Including last night, 7 of their next 9 are on the road. Get some rest before Thursday.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The moral victory of getting back is good. But not good enough. They managed to get back in G6... but still lost.

We wont have an answer until we beat Pens in playoffs it seems. Sounds about right anyway.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
4 x 4 is all about legs, and we didn't have any. And then we got 10 games with of bad luck luck in the space of about 10 minutes coupled with 10'games worth of being jobbed by the refs over 2 periods. So I think we should respect the pluck and determination shown to get a very tough road point and not change anything we've been doing over the past 10 games.

But I do think someone should have squared off with Hornqvist. Curious how in every single scrum he stirs, his face shield ends up covering the punchable part of his mug. If not Hornqvist, then rough up Kessel or Sheary - don't like seeing a top 6 guy take a cheap shot like that without some answer, even if we are up 3-0 at time. That moment, and the ensuing 4 on 4 they unjustly got, turned the game

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Not really worried.

Everything went wrong defensively and they still needed massive help from officials to win. Capitals win that game 10 out of 10 times with competent refs.

- played a day after the Philly game
- no Carlson
- had them in the ropes in the second until the refs began to intervene
- 9 game win streak beforehand

Move along. Nothing to see here in folks.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Schmidt 6 points in his last 7 games deserves a shout out. But more so does Barry for using him to his strengths. Schmidt is not trying harder, nor did he get better. All the skills he is using, he always had.

Some will say our playoff loss was the 3 scoring line thing, but I think a big part of our pens loss was on how Barry utilized and managed his D last year. Adding Weber and the requisite "having to give him games" caused scratches. Orlov got in trouble for the pizza's and his game went off a cliff. The strong ES point production, vanished. Chorney after inking his contract, got scratched a bunch but was not good when back in. Nate got scratched, and just seemed off... maybe burned out a bit from the long season.

The loffs started, and rotating in/out Orlov Schmidt Chorney and Weber, and changing up the pairings and switching sides, led to those 4 all under performing. Mix in Alzner injured and Orpik whatever the hell he was... our D sucked.

Using all defensemen effectively is mandatory for a team with cup aspirations. And should be in Barry's wheelhouse.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This game doesn't bode well for the playoffs. It exposed this teams issues vs the Pens. No other team is scoring 6 in a period on the Caps. Pens are still in their heads. They need to fine tune their game specifically to beat the Pens to win the cup. As their weaknesses come out against them.

Holy overreaction. If you think the Caps have "weaknesses" what do you think the Pens have? Murray looked like garbage, I get no Letang, but he has been poor all season anyway, and that D is pretty bad.

Pens scored three goals when they should have been short-handed, even if the ******* ref only gave Hornqvist a two minute penalty as opposed to the five he would have given Wilson if he had hit a Penguin that way.

I am proud of the Caps for getting a point out of that game. If anything I think it HELPS them going forward for a potential matchup with the Pens in the playoffs.

Burn the tape and move on.

All regular season wins against the pens are irrelevant and all regular season losses are harbingers of things to come.

Obviously. ;)

- played a day after the Philly game
- no Carlson
- had them in the ropes in the second until the refs began to intervene
- 9 game win streak beforehand

Move along. Nothing to see here in folks.

Sums it up nicely.

I also noticed the Pens never played the Caps on back to backs this season, weird how that works out huh?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
we're blaming the refs again huh? these GDTs never change.

You're kidding right?

Obviously the referees aren't the biggest reason why they lost but they played a major part in that game. If you didn't watch the game then just feel free to watch the highlights of their 1st, 6th and 8th goal.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Back to Back, three games in four nights against some decent competition and the Caps walk away with 5 out of a possible 6 points. I'll take it.

As usual Pierre and the NBC crew have their man crush on Crosby and the Pens, but even with that when they are noting the no call on Hornquist's punch on Oshie right in front of the referee, what they thought was goalie interference on Cullen and then the Crosby trip on Ovechkin in OT, then I really didn't need to wear my "homer glasses" for this one. Just hope we don't get Dan O'Halloran for any of the playoff games we might have with Pittsburgh.

Yes it was ugly, but the Capitals resilience in this one says a lot about this team. I think the result may do more to benefit the Capitals come playoff time especially if they cross paths with the Penguins. For the series, Caps got 6 points where as the Pens got 4. I'm feeling good about this team and all four lines. Really don't see a need to do anything at the TDL.

36kap36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
I also noticed the Pens never played the Caps on back to backs this season, weird how that works out huh?

Well darn, that's a bit more of a conspiracy than we usually have around here. That game sucks to be a part of, but it was fun to watch, fandom aside. There were some horrible blunders, but so be it. I like where this team is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad