Olympics: Team Sweden 2022

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
People, including me is sleeping on Carl Hagelin. He is still a good player. Still super fast. Could be a good guy to have in 4th line or as extra.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Jacob Markström
Robin Lehner
Linus Ullmark

Victor Hedman - John Klingberg
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Mattias Ekholm
Rasmus Dahlin - Jonas Brodin
Hampus Lindholm, Rasmus Andersson

Gabriel Landeskog - Nicklas Bäckström - William Nylander
Filip Forsberg - Elias Pettersson - Viktor Arvidsson
Rickard Rakell - Mika Zibanejad - Elias Lindholm
William Karlsson - Mikael Backlund - Patric Hörnqvist
André Burakovsky, Joel Eriksson-Ek

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Remember the tradition to always bring a player playing from euro leagues to best on best tournaments? Maybe thats something Garpenlöv wants to bring back which Grönborg was against.

Someone like Markus Ljungh as the 4c. :mad:

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Remember the tradition to always bring a player playing from euro leagues to best on best tournaments? Maybe thats something Garpenlöv wants to bring back which Grönborg was against.

Someone like Markus Ljungh as the 4c. :mad:

Ugh, I really, really hope not. I would argue that bringing only 12 forwards, and one of them being Mattias Weinhandl was the reason for the failure in the 2010 Olympics. Magnus Johansson was not a good pick either, but at least we carried 8 D and he could be sheltered. As soon as Weinhandl couldn't rekindle his chemistry with the Sedins it was over. He is not bottom-6 player, weak defensively, so he has to play top line minutes to contribute, but he was not good enough to be top-6...

But to be honest I don't think it'll happen. Joel Lundqvist and Joakim Lindström seems to be retired from the national team, so they won't be brought. No other skater in Europe has been "loyal" long enough for them to consider bringing them. Perhaps Viktor Fasth, but has 3rd goalie it doesn't really matter

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Nah, he hasn't played in the national team since he returned to Europe. Players who might be considered "loyal" might be Dennis Rasmussen och Dennis Everberg though
There's also Anton Lander. Always done well wearing the Tre Kronor, too.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Wouldn't look too much into who's missing. They could have their reasons. Safe to say those invited are very much on the radar though.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Wouldn't look too much into who's missing. They could have their reasons. Safe to say those invited are very much on the radar though.

Yes, the article also said that the listed players were the ones that were available to media. It could've been more players there who didn't do media. Also, I don't think it was a formal camp, just an optional gathering, players who weren't there might've just had other obligations or something. But yes, the players who were there are absolutely on the radar.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Jacob Markström
Robin Lehner
Linus Ullmark

Victor Hedman - John Klingberg
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Mattias Ekholm
Rasmus Dahlin - Jonas Brodin
Hampus Lindholm, Rasmus Andersson

Gabriel Landeskog - Nicklas Bäckström - William Nylander
Filip Forsberg - Elias Pettersson - Viktor Arvidsson
Rickard Rakell - Mika Zibanejad - Elias Lindholm
William Karlsson - Mikael Backlund - Patric Hörnqvist
André Burakovsky, Joel Eriksson-Ek

I Would would like to have Horny on first or second line to add some energy

Reactions: kudla

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
However you want to put it, the imaginary list from @weklof who I thought to be well put out (we all have questions, but still, very solid), I can only say if this group can gel and units can make themselves better, we can win the whole thing.

It's all about the small things. Like Zibanejad and Rakell playing like school children, piling up points at will with Janmark contributing. Or Arvidsson and Forsberg having a field day. Or Bäckström and Nylander having a great day. It's mostly about a pair with the perfect contributor in all lines. And then we have world class D-men who also love to play in the yard (the offensive zone). I think this can lead to great things. We don't have Lundqvist in net, but we have Lehner, Markström and the poor bastard trying to escape Buffalo... Ullmark?

All in all, Sweden should aim for medals in the olympics, no questions asked. It's a badass team, weak at nothing and with a team culture that helps everybody to perform better. No pressure, just feel the desire to win.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As a Ducks fan, I'll chime on Lindholm/Silfverberg/Rakell real quick.

Hampus Lindholm:
Compared to the previous year, Lindholm looked really good last season. Unfortunately, the sample size was only 18 games before he got hurt. But all in all, I think he should make the Olympic team, though I'm worried OEL, EK65 and Dahlin will somehow bump him off the team, simply for having higher "name value".

Rickard Rakell:
I see everyone has him pegged for a spot. As a Ducks fan, I'll say this, what you saw of Rakell in the World Championships most recently – that's the player he's been for Anaheim for the last three years now. Not productive and disinterested. This year is a contract year for him, so maybe he'll bounce back, but if he's off a poor start this season I'd leave him off the team, or only bring him as an extra forward.

Jakob Silfverberg:
Unlike Rakell, I don't see Silfverberg on many people's Olympic teams. That's understandable with his most recent season. But even before then, few people had him on their teams even though he was better than Rakell the previous two or three years. Last year he was playing injured, and it remains to see how he recovers after surgery. But if he can be the player he was for Anaheim 2014-2019, I'd take him on the Olympic team in a heart beat. Great defensive winger who works hard and raises his level in big games. Perfect for an Olympic 4th line.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
As a Ducks fan, I'll chime on Lindholm/Silfverberg/Rakell real quick.

Hampus Lindholm:
Compared to the previous year, Lindholm looked really good last season. Unfortunately, the sample size was only 18 games before he got hurt. But all in all, I think he should make the Olympic team, though I'm worried OEL, EK65 and Dahlin will somehow bump him off the team, simply for having higher "name value".

Rickard Rakell:
I see everyone has him pegged for a spot. As a Ducks fan, I'll say this, what you saw of Rakell in the World Championships most recently – that's the player he's been for Anaheim for the last three years now. Not productive and disinterested. This year is a contract year for him, so maybe he'll bounce back, but if he's off a poor start this season I'd leave him off the team, or only bring him as an extra forward.

Jakob Silfverberg:
Unlike Rakell, I don't see Silfverberg on many people's Olympic teams. That's understandable with his most recent season. But even before then, few people had him on their teams even though he was better than Rakell the previous two or three years. Last year he was playing injured, and it remains to see how he recovers after surgery. But if he can be the player he was for Anaheim 2014-2019, I'd take him on the Olympic team in a heart beat. Great defensive winger who works hard and raises his level in big games. Perfect for an Olympic 4th line.

silfverberg was not really good in og 2014 and world cup 2016, i think its becuse of that few has him on the team. he also is not a physical player, many like players on the 4th line to be physical.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I would not mind him as a extra and only playing in pp. but if he plays in even strength then we are in deep problem, he is a give away machine.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Wouldn't even bother asking Silfverberg. He's showed zero interest playing for the NT. Guys like Jesper Bratt and Nils Höglander would probably give up an arm to make this team.

Reactions: AB13 and Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad