Backlund, Hornqvist

Hedman - Klingberg
Ekholm - E.Karlsson
Dahlin - Larsson
Brodin - H. Lindholm/Ekman-Larsson

Lehner
Markstrom
Ullmark

Currently Zibanejad should be the 1C. If you disregard his terrible first 20 games or so last season, where he was probably still recovering from covid, he's been amazing these past three years. I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 100 points and challenged for the Rocket next season.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Landeskog-Zibanejad-Burakovsky
Lindholm-Pettersson-Nylander
Forsberg-Backstrom-Arvidsson
Eriksson Ek-Karlsson-Rakell
Bratt-Backlund-Hornqvist

Hedman-Klingberg
Ekholm-Karlsson
Dahlin-Larsson
Brodin-Lindholm

Markstrom
Lehner
Ullmark

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Can You list me all possible candidates to make Sweden defence? I want to rate depth of Swedish D.

Rate it A-!

Problems: Hedman must be used defensively to handle top players and some poor bastard have to switch to RD. Good thing is that if Karlsson and Ekman Larsson doesn't raise their level this season there will be good chemistry in adding RD's Andersson and Larsson. Real defense. Plus bench benefits. Ekholm - Andersson might be a pairing made in heaven. Makes Ekholm staying at home. A good thing. Klefbom is a wild card.

Victor Hedman (31)
Jonas Brodin (28)
John Klingberg (29)
Hampus Lindholm (28)
Rasmus Dahlin (21)
Erik Karlsson (31)

Mattias Ekholm (31)
Oliver Ekman Larsson (30)

Oscar Klefbom (28)
Rasmus Andersson(25)

Adam Larsson (29)

Shit happens : (almost that Garpenlow, the goalpost guy, might hope for all of OEL, Karlsson and Dahlin to fail and Lindholm or Klefbom not being recovered from injury)

Victor Hedman - Jonas Brodin
Hampus Lindholm - John Klingberg
Mattias Ekholm - Rasmus Andersson
Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I don't see it, unless one of them is a top 5 scorer they won't make it over a reliable player. Imagine one of those guys playing Canada or USA best on best?... The intensity and compete will be something they've never come close to seeing.

Would they make it over Arvidsson or Eriksson Ek... probably not.

yeah thats what i mean, they have to have a crazy start, like PPG or top 5.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Rate it A-!

Problems: Hedman must be used defensively to handle top players and some poor bastard have to switch to RD. Good thing is that if Karlsson and Ekman Larsson doesn't raise their level this season there will be good chemistry in adding RD's Andersson and Larsson. Real defense. Plus bench benefits. Ekholm - Andersson might be a pairing made in heaven. Makes Ekholm staying at home. A good thing. Klefbom is a wild card.

Victor Hedman (31)
Jonas Brodin (28)
John Klingberg (29)
Hampus Lindholm (28)
Rasmus Dahlin (21)
Erik Karlsson (31)

Mattias Ekholm (31)
Oliver Ekman Larsson (30)

Oscar Klefbom (28)
Rasmus Andersson(25)

Adam Larsson (29)

Shit happens : (almost that Garpenlow, the goalpost guy, might hope for all of OEL, Karlsson and Dahlin to fail and Lindholm or Klefbom not being recovered from injury)

Victor Hedman - Jonas Brodin
Hampus Lindholm - John Klingberg
Mattias Ekholm - Rasmus Andersson
Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson
I'd be shocked if Klefbom ever plays again. Shame as he was a great player. Also wouldn't have Hedman with Brodin as their best attributes are the defensive side of the game.

Lets not hope for Dahlin to fail, eh? Lets hope he continues to play like he has under Granato and continues improving. Imagine what he could've been right now if he never played under Krueger, ugh.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
With no NHLers;

Marcus Sörensen - Carl Söderberg - Mathias Brome
Emil Pettersson - Anton Lander - Daniel Zaar
Carl Klingberg - Lucas Wallmark - Joakim Nygård
Joakim Nordström - Jacob De la Rose - Dennis Everberg

Joakim Ryan - Philip Holm
Lawrence Pilut - Lukas Bengtsson
Oscar Fantenberg - Niklas Hansson

Lars Johansson
Adam Reidenborn
Magnus Hellberg

Garpenlöv would mess things up with including Rasmussen, Lindberg, Lööv, Dahlbeck, MPS etc. Yikes.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I hope so.

Remember when Hedman was left out of the olympic 2014 team? And Zibanjad left out of the word cup 2016 team? You can never trust a swedish coach.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Yeah. Assuming both Lindholm and Eriksson Ek play the wing, Karlsson won't have much competition for the 4c spot. I don't think Backlund will take it.

Then again, it might be worth bringing in Backlund as center and pushing Karlsson to the wing. I'd much rather have Backlund on the team than someone like Rakell or Hagelin, unless one of them has a resurgence.

A lot of people are sleeping on Hörnqvist by the way. He should definitely have a bottom 6 spot if he doesn't fall off a cliff this season. 32 points in 44 games last year.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yeah. Assuming both Lindholm and Eriksson Ek play the wing, Karlsson won't have much competition for the 4c spot. I don't think Backlund will take it.

Then again, it might be worth bringing in Backlund as center and pushing Karlsson to the wing. I'd much rather have Backlund on the team than someone like Rakell or Hagelin, unless one of them has a resurgence.

A lot of people are sleeping on Hörnqvist by the way. He should definitely have a bottom 6 spot if he doesn't fall off a cliff this season. 32 points in 44 games last year.

i think lots of hörnqvist points comes from PP. he might not be good enough for 5 vs 5, but we can have him as a extra guy who only plays pp

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
lmao i went to the arizona board and everyone has loui eriksson on the second line :huh::laugh:

i thought he was finished. if he comes back from the dead i could see him making this team

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
i think lots of hörnqvist points comes from PP. he might not be good enough for 5 vs 5, but we can have him as a extra guy who only plays pp
Hornqvist just had one of his best seasons despite some bad shooting luck. He’s a possession monster 5 on 5 and can play basically anywhere in a lineup. He had some injury issues at times in Pittsburgh but is very underrated. He should be pretty close to a lock for Sweden

Last edited:

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Combined stats of the two previous shortend seasons. How is Z not our nr 1 center, Pettersson is still young and took a step back last season. Backstrom has slowed down past years. Zibenjad is in his absolute prime and he's playing at clip a tier above anyone else.

Burakovsky being that high on the list surprised me, he's taken a huge step.

bild_2021-10-08_093656.png

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Pettersson had Covid, and an UBI last season, didn't he? Zibanejad also had Covid, and would have probably had an even better PPG as it took him a good while to return to form after it. Stats for last playoffs, to get a sense who could be in good form for best-on-best:

8cNzUkI.png

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Pettersson had Covid, and an UBI last season, didn't he? Zibanejad also had Covid, and would have probably had an even better PPG as it took him a good while to return to form after it. Stats for last playoffs, to get a sense who could be in good form for best-on-best:

8cNzUkI.png

I don't think this says as much, sample size is just a handful of games.

Reactions: iginlafan77

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
A fast look at the defensemen that play at least 17min per game even strength, minimum 41 games played. Sample size same as before, last two regular seasons.

GA EV/min, is goals against per even strength minute played. Then PPG is points per game as normal.

bild_2021-10-08_160217.png

Just like you don't want Erik Karlsson in his current form on the squad , you don't want Dahlin either. They are both awful even strength past 2 seasons.

If i'm playing McDavid there is no defencemen I rather want facing him than Adam Larsson.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
A fast look at the defensemen that play at least 17min per game even strength, minimum 41 games played. Sample size same as before, last two regular seasons.

GA EV/min, is goals against per even strength minute played. Then PPG is points per game as normal.

Just like you don't want Erik Karlsson in his current form on the squad , you don't want Dahlin either. They are both awful even strength past 2 seasons.

If i'm playing McDavid there is no defencemen I rather want facing him than Adam Larsson.
GA EV/min is not the best metric. What about QoC, QoT, your goalie? ENGA?

And judging Dahlin by his play under Ralph Krueger is a bad move. He has looked fantastic under Granato as the 1D, sucks that he plays for Buffalo, though.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
GA EV/min is not the best metric. What about QoC, QoT, your goalie? ENGA?

And judging Dahlin by his play under Ralph Krueger is a bad move. He has looked fantastic under Granato as the 1D, sucks that he plays for Buffalo, though.

Yea sure there are many more metrics and Dahlin is bad in most of them. I've seen Dahlin under all coaches he's had in the NHL , and he's prone to defensive gaffs under all of them. To pretend that this is isolated to Krueger's coaching is not looking at his performance honestly. Why does Dahlin deserve so much extra consideration, because of his draft hype? At this point in his career he doesn't bring anything we need we can't get from other players who are less prone to such costly mistakes. In the future he will mature and get better , but the Olympics should not be risked by Dalhlin's potential in the future. That is a consideration a short tournament doesn't care about.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yea sure there are many more metrics and Dahlin is bad in most of them. I've seen Dahlin under all coaches he's had in the NHL , and he's prone to defensive gaffs under all of them. To pretend that this is isolated to Krueger's coaching is not looking at his performance honestly. Why does Dahlin deserve so much extra consideration, because of his draft hype? At this point in his career he doesn't bring anything we need we can't get from other players who are less prone to such costly mistakes. In the future he will mature and get better , but the Olympics should not be risked by Dalhlin's potential in the future. That is a consideration a short tournament doesn't care about.
The comment wasn't just about Dahlin. But I'm sure his stats under a mostly Krueger-led Sabres look bad across the board.

I made similar cases for Pettersson, & Zibanejad. I could have just as easily tried to trounce on Ziba by saying: Now do his stats against teams that isn't Philly. But I think it evened out

If McDavid's out there I'd want Brodin, & Ekholm against him, Nemeth shouldn't be invited, he isn't the second best defenseman Sweden has. Hedman's stats should also look worse than he is as he played through an injury for most of last season.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
The comment wasn't just about Dahlin. But I'm sure his stats under a mostly Krueger-led Sabres look bad across the board.

I made similar cases for Pettersson, & Zibanejad. I could have just as easily tried to trounce on Ziba by saying: Now do his stats against teams that isn't Philly. But I think it evened out

If McDavid's out there I'd want Brodin, & Ekholm against him, Nemeth shouldn't be invited, he isn't the second best defenseman Sweden has. Hedman's stats should also look worse than he is as he played through an injury for most of last season.

You forget that the stats are two seasons, it's a good sample size. It's not particulary vulnerable to your arguements. I'm not really sure what you are argueing at all tbh.

I never said that that is the list of who I think is the best defencemen sweden has only that i don't think that players on the bottom belong on Tre Kronor. I like that Adam Larsson has trained against McDavid for many years and knows him like no one else on the team.

You are skirting my question, why does Dahlin have these caveats(mostly weak imo, you can't just ignore stats by cherry picking abitrarily important what ifs) beyond his irrelevant potential?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad