WC: Team Sweden 2019 roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Bäckström and Nylander would be just what this team needs . some more offensive punch. Let's hope they accept, I can definitely see Nylander coming with him only playing half a season

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Not realistic but if everyone accept:

Johnsson - Bäckström - Nylander
Forsberg - Elias - Arvidsson
A.Kempe - W.Karlsson - Hörnqvist
Lindblom - Kruger - Bratt
Loui, M.Kempe

OEL - Ekholm
Gustafsson - Pettersson
R.Andersson - Larsson / Fantenberg
Hägg, Wikstrand

Lundqvist
Markström
Enroth

Quite some team!

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Not realistic but if everyone accept:

Johnsson - Bäckström - Nylander
Forsberg - Elias - Arvidsson
A.Kempe - W.Karlsson - Hörnqvist
Lindblom - Kruger - Bratt
Loui, M.Kempe

OEL - Ekholm
Gustafsson - Larsson
R.Andersson - Pettersson
Hägg, Wikstrand

Lundqvist
Markström
Enroth

You forgot Lindholm.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If Grönborg has to decline some really good players from joining the team, because he added too many scrubs too early... this thread will explode.

Players who are healthy and eliminated in the 1st round are usually interested in the WHC, because of redemption. Guaranteed that Ovechkin and Kuznetzov will join the Russian team now, if they're healthy. How the heck are we going to beat the Russians?

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
If Grönborg has to decline some really good players from joining the team, because he added too many scrubs too early... this thread will explode.

Players who are healthy and eliminated in the 1st round are usually interested in the WHC, because of redemption. Guaranteed that Ovechkin and Kuznetzov will join the Russian team now, if they're healthy. How the heck are we going to beat the Russians?

Can't you still drop players from the team or are they allready a lock for the WC? Sure they won't be too happy about first being picked and then get dropped but at the same time this isn't charity.

How do you beat the russians when they have all their powerhouses on the roster? Same as always. Put pressure on their terrible defense.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Can't you still drop players from the team or are they allready a lock for the WC? Sure they won't be too happy about first being picked and then get dropped but at the same time this isn't charity.

How do you beat the russians when they have all their powerhouses on the roster? Same as always. Put pressure on their terrible defense.
Yeah, you’re probably able to technically, the issue is that the federation has an agreement with the NHL players that stipulates: If you accept an invitation to play with Sweden after your NHL season has ended you’re guaranteed a spot in the WC roster. I don’t know if its a written agreement or just an unspoken rule, because I remember NHL players being mad at BÅG for being removed from the roster before the WC after they had come over to Europe and played in the EHT.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia

Russia have one big problem((. Vorobyov not good coach. Worse then Znaroks

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Yeah, you’re probably able to technically, the issue is that the federation has an agreement with the NHL players that stipulates: If you accept an invitation to play with Sweden after your NHL season has ended you’re guaranteed a spot in the WC roster.

That f***ing sucks. You should be able to drop players before the tournament starts even if you at first thought they would be in. So the players who plays in Europe you can do whatever you want with then. But yeah i guess everything is so unfair for the NHL-players... They should whine a bit more to the NHLPA.

But with that said Grönborg really took a shit in the blue locker with all the invites of 4th-liners. We now can't afford to have any European players on the roster since we need to fill out those spots with mediocre NHL-players. If we do get yes from Bäckström, Nylander, Forsberg, Arvidsson etc players such as M. Kempe, Pääjärvi will sit on the stands.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
That ****ing sucks. You should be able to drop players before the tournament starts even if you at first thought they would be in. So the players who plays in Europe you can do whatever you want with then. But yeah i guess everything is so unfair for the NHL-players... They should whine a bit more to the NHLPA.

But with that said Grönborg really took a **** in the blue locker with all the invites of 4th-liners. We now can't afford to have any European players on the roster since we need to fill out those spots with mediocre NHL-players. If we do get yes from Bäckström, Nylander, Forsberg, Arvidsson etc players such as M. Kempe, Pääjärvi will sit on the stands.
I guess its the fact that NHL players usually have their lives and families based in North america, and they felt that it was unfair that they upended their lives for a few weeks to then be cut last minute. Not really picking a side here this agreement has two sides to it, on one hand you might be stuck with guys like Mario Kempe and Magnus Pääjärvi when the tournament rolls around when better alternatives might be available in NA. On the other hand it seems to have made NHL players in general more keen to accept an invitation.

Yeah picking that many depth players from the NHL that early is unnecessary.

Last edited:

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
I guess its the fact that NHL players usually have their lives and families based in North america, and they felt that it was unfair that they upended their lives for a few weeks to then be cut last minute.

Yeah, but as it looks now the tournament is what like 3 weeks away or something? They haven't even travel to Slovakia yet so it's not like they being screwed here if Grönborg would contact them today and tell them it will not be any feature in the WC after all. They most likely would have travelled home to Sweden anyway.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah, but as it looks now the tournament is what like 3 weeks away or something? They haven't even travel to Slovakia yet so it's not like they being screwed here if Grönborg would contact them today and tell them it will not be any feature in the WC after all. They most likely would have travelled home to Sweden anyway.
Yeah I know its kinda weird but see my edited post, for some reason it seems to have made NHL players in general more keen to accept invites.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
There’s a lot of complaining in here about Grönborg adding players too early.
Not sure about how many posters in here actually have a family. If your wife and kids have to plan their whole existence around your hockey schedule for a long NHL season, you as a player will probably have a hard time explaining to them why they have to stay in limbo for another month before knowing what to do with their precious time together.
When you as a player are knocked out from the playoffs (or didn’t make them), you will need to have a decision asap from the national team if you are in or not. That’s why Grönborg have to approach some players early to make sure he gets some NHL talent at all. Nobody knows whom will be available later on. If he has bad luck with players being available later on in the playoffs, the ones knocked out early might not be available either if he needs them and approaches them after a month after their season ended. They have probably already moved on to make plans with the family etc.
Hockey is not everything in life for all players. Family is hopefully more important.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, you’re probably able to technically, the issue is that the federation has an agreement with the NHL players that stipulates: If you accept an invitation to play with Sweden after your NHL season has ended you’re guaranteed a spot in the WC roster. I don’t know if its a written agreement or just an unspoken rule, because I remember NHL players being mad at BÅG for being removed from the roster before the WC after they had come over to Europe and played in the EHT.
Yeah, from the article you linked earlier(Grönborg om NHL-svenskarnas status inför VM):

NHL-spelarna ska få vara med i truppen. Det är en deal vi har med NHL

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Yeah I know its kinda weird but see my edited post, for some reason it seems to have made NHL players in general more keen to accept invites.

I totally buy into that it makes the players more keen to accept the invites. That is a positive thing. I just think they should change the rules a bit so you don't have to hang up so hard on mediocre players. Maybe something like that after deadline for register new players in the tournament you will be able to put one player on "IR" and register a replacement. I don't know. I'm just not a fan of this system. It put's the coaches in a tough position because if they do not invite NHL-players in the beginning they might end up with a lot of European players later if the top players says no and then we will yell on them for not inviting NHLers haha.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
There’s a lot of complaining in here about Grönborg adding players too early.
Not sure about how many posters in here actually have a family. If your wife and kids have to plan their whole existence around your hockey schedule for a long NHL season, you as a player will probably have a hard time explaining to them why they have to stay in limbo for another month before knowing what to do with their precious time together.
When you as a player are knocked out from the playoffs (or didn’t make them), you will need to have a decision asap from the national team if you are in or not. That’s why Grönborg have to approach some players early to make sure he gets some NHL talent at all. Nobody knows whom will be available later on. If he has bad luck with players being available later on in the playoffs, the ones knocked out early might not be available either if he needs them and approaches them after a month after their season ended. They have probably already moved on to make plans with the family etc.
Hockey is not everything in life for all players. Family is hopefully more important.

The regular season ends in april. Preseason starts in september. That is over 4 months vacation for players that are making millions. Even if they play WC they will still have 3 months. Me myself makes 30 thousand swedish crowns a month and have 4 weeks vacation. But who am i to complain?

Reactions: Vesperia

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Not all available players are going to accept. It's a complete non-issue. A week ago people worried we wouldn't have room for all defensemen, and then Hedman, Stralman, Dahlin and Brodin all declined. Obviously management has a dialogue with players and a pretty good idea who might accept and who might decline, even months before the tournament begins.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden

Yep, I think this started in the early 00s when Hardy Nilsson dropped Anders Eriksson after four exhibition games, which seemed to have miffed all the NHLers:

Aftonbladet sport: Ishockey-VM

"Men petningen av Anders Eriksson fick katastrofala följder för det svenska VM-laget. Efter det blev det nej tack från vartenda proffs.
Vad de än säger utåt, tyckte NHL-proffsen att den svenska lagledningen gjort sig skyldig till misconduct.
De tog hem en spelare som kastade allt han hade för händerna och lojalt satte sig på flyget till Stockholm. Sedan kastade de ut honom efter fyra matcher, som om de inte visste vad de hade plockat hem."

My translation:
"But the dropping of Anders Eriksson had catastrophic repercussions for the WC team. After that, every single NHLer declined. Whatever they say publicly, the NHLers felt that the Swedish management had made a misconduct. They brought a player home, who dropped everything and loyally threw himself on a plane to Stockholm. Then they sent him back after four games, like they didn't know what they had brought in"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad