WC: Team Sweden 2019 roster part II

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Wow! Not only will we have two rock solid D-pairings... ding dong, the Hägg is gone! Which old Hägg? The turnover machine Hägg! Now watch Grönborg scratch someone else instead. But seriously, this team is really, really good now, when all players have arrived and are set. Huge respect not only to the players, but to Grönborg for creating this enviroment, where so many want to come and play.

I mean, compare our situation to Finland's. They're in "Grossman kommer!" mode.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Wow! Not only will we have two rock solid D-pairings... ding dong, the Hägg is gone! Which old Hägg? The turnover machine Hägg! Now watch Grönborg scratch someone else instead. But seriously, this team is really, really good now, when all players have arrived and are set. Huge respect not only to the players, but to Grönborg for creating this enviroment, where so many want to come and play.

I mean, compare our situation to Finland's. They're in "Grossman kommer!" mode.
With Klingbergs likely third consecutive appearance Grossmann is pretty much our 7th D.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Gotta give credit to the Swedish Ice Hockey Association for getting all of these players "home" for various WHC-tournaments. They put a lot of money and a lot of effort to make this happend. Grönborg, Köhler etc know what the NHL-players are used to in their own clubs, and try to mold the "Tre Kronor-experience" after that.

The downside is, though, that it costs. A lot. Meaning - to get all these NHL-players home, paying lots of insurance for them while also having a huge budget to make them feel comfortable, means that less money goes down in the system and youth hockey in Sweden. Is that sustainable? I dunno

Reactions: AB13

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Gotta give credit to the Swedish Ice Hockey Association for getting all of these players "home" for various WHC-tournaments. They put a lot of money and a lot of effort to make this happend. Grönborg, Köhler etc know what the NHL-players are used to in their own clubs, and try to mold the "Tre Kronor-experience" after that.

The downside is, though, that it costs. A lot. Meaning - to get all these NHL-players home, paying lots of insurance for them while also having a huge budget to make them feel comfortable, means that less money goes down in the system and youth hockey in Sweden. Is that sustainable? I dunno

I see what you mean, but I still think it's a good investment. Success for the national team means more young kids getting into hockey rather than football. The only way for hockey to be able to compete for player material is by winning tournaments, football gets enough PR just by existing.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Still... these players turned down participation for different reasons:

Victor Hedman - Anton Strålman
Alexander Edler - Rasmus Dahlin
Oscar Klefbom - Jonas Brodin
Hampus Lindholm - Niklas Hjalmarsson

Good thing is only two or three of these were locks.

Btw, how does this end:

Ilya Kovalchuk - Yevgeni Malkin - Nikita Kucherov
Alexander Ovechkin - Yevgeni Kuznetsov - Yevgeni Dadonov
Vladislav Namestnikov - Artyom Anisimov - Pavel Buchnevich

vs

OEL - Larsson
Ekholm - Klingberg
Gustafsson - Pettersson

Last edited:

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad

Yes, our depth there are crazy so we can afford that a couple turns down invitation every year. Not exactly the same margins offensive...

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I see what you mean, but I still think it's a good investment. Success for the national team means more young kids getting into hockey rather than football. The only way for hockey to be able to compete for player material is by winning tournaments, football gets enough PR just by existing.
I get what you mean, but at the same time, we have Boustedt stating in media that "we dont focus on Damkronorna, we focus on the youth", which dosnt really make sense.

Take the WJHC for example. When Rönnberg coached us to the gold, he had a management team of 7 people. Now, Montén rolls with 3. SIHA's taking away resources from the development section and use it to "dope" the mens national team instead, based on a decision by the board. They want to win more medels, but what effect does is really have? People that like hockey will always care, but if the main goal is to make swedish kids play hockey, it's an effect we wont see for a long time - not knowing if it actually has an effect at all. Meanwhile, we're not producing the same high-end talent that we once did.

Anyways - I like the US model.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
I get what you mean, but at the same time, we have Boustedt stating in media that "we dont focus on Damkronorna, we focus on the youth", which dosnt really make sense.

Take the WJHC for example. When Rönnberg coached us to the gold, he had a management team of 7 people. Now, Montén rolls with 3. SIHA's taking away resources from the development section and use it to "dope" the mens national team instead, based on a decision by the board. They want to win more medels, but what effect does is really have? People that like hockey will always care, but if the main goal is to make swedish kids play hockey, it's an effect we wont see for a long time - not knowing if it actually has an effect at all. Meanwhile, we're not producing the same high-end talent that we once did.

Anyways - I like the US model.

There's no doubt a balance to be found. 3-4 of the best defensemen available and 6-7 of the best forwards and then fill out the rest of the squad with hungry, young players not under NHL contracts. I think a team like that would be able to remain competitive without digging too deep into the pockets of swedish hockey.

I think high-end talent has a lot to do with variance though, we just had Dahlin and right now Raymond and Holtz are looking good, but I can still understand your concern. I don't want to go back to pre '07 in juniors.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
If just these D men can work out a good chemistry with Swedens forwards, we should have a very dynamic offense.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

I think their line of thinking is:
Not having a competitive tre kronor team in the worlds would be infinetely more expensive in the long run. The world championships is essentially the first introduction to hockey for most swedish fans, and you never have a second chance to make a bad first impression ;)

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia

Good thing is only two or three of these were locks.

Btw, how does this end:

Ilya Kovalchuk - Yevgeni Malkin - Nikita Kucherov
Alexander Ovechkin - Yevgeni Kuznetsov - Yevgeni Dadonov
Vladislav Namestnikov - Artyom Anisimov - Pavel Buchnevich

vs

OEL - Larsson
Ekholm - Klingberg
Gustafsson - Pettersson
Where Radulov and Panarin/?)))

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Happy for the Swedes that Klingberg saves them from Hägg on the 3rd paring.
Defense now back in god mode, but offense remains a surprise bag. The enthusiasm about the arrival of a player like Wennberg makes it look a bit like they were Team Norway or Team Austria... but let's see, maybe he'll blossom.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3