WC: Team Slovakia

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I think Slovakia has a bright future with their current crop of young players and prospects coming through.

Cernak
Cehlarik
Jaros
Fehervary
Ruzicka
Studenic
Pospisil
Roman
Hrenak
Durny

Add that group to Panik, Tatar and some lesser players like Liska, Marincin, Dano and you have a pretty good core of young players. This is the first time in a while that Slovakian hockey has a positive outlook for their national program.
Nice review, I also want to mention our most promising goalie Huska, who can make it to NHL very soon. And really talented scorer Bucek. I am curious about players in defence like Ivan and Bodak, as well.

Hopefully, Ramsay and Satan will stay with NT.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think Slovakia has a bright future with their current crop of young players and prospects coming through.

Cernak
Cehlarik
Jaros
Fehervary
Ruzicka
Studenic
Pospisil
Roman
Hrenak
Durny

Add that group to Panik, Tatar and some lesser players like Liska, Marincin, Dano and you have a pretty good core of young players. This is the first time in a while that Slovakian hockey has a positive outlook for their national program.
This is pretty weak compared to the Czechs and Swiss. Even the Germans have a super star we lack. I’d trade half those players for one Draisaitl

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
This is pretty weak compared to the Czechs and Swiss. Even the Germans have a super star we lack. I’d trade half those players for one Draisaitl

Yeah, same. And I don't want to be the pessimist, but guys like Pospisil, Roman or Ruzicka haven't even played a single game in a senior league yet. I wouldn't get my hopes up until they actually prove themselves on senior level. I wish them the best though, we desperately need them to develop into good players.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
One player does not make the team. You need to have depth, too. And I think our depth is definitely better than Germans and similar with Swiss...
Yeah, same. And I don't want to be the pessimist, but guys like Pospisil, Roman or Ruzicka haven't even played a single game in a senior league yet. I wouldn't get my hopes up until they actually prove themselves on senior level. I wish them the best though, we desperately need them to develop into good players.
Not yet, but two of them already have contracts in AHL. There is a good chance that they could it make to NHL. All of them very talented and CENTERS! finally. I would say that we finally have more than one-two young players who are really promising. It is not optimal but looking solid in comparison with last 10 years.

Like I already said in this thread, this players does not belong between super stars. They could be competitive and play equal games with the best, though.

Reactions: smitty10

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yeah, we could really use a difference maker player on offense.

On the other hand, I don't think I would trade our D-men for one, it looks like the D core we will have for the future will consist of D-men who can move the puck well and get us into the offensive zone pretty easily which is the basis for modern offensive hockey.

Reactions: stastny12

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Yeah, we could really use a difference maker player on offense.

On the other hand, I don't think I would trade our D-men for one, it looks like the D core we will have for the future will consist of D-men who can move the puck well and get us into the offensive zone pretty easily which is the basis for modern offensive hockey.
I agree, good point. Actually I think that Cernak could be a star (for example Hedman, Doughty kind of player) and difference maker player for our team.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Cajkovic can be an interesting player for the future. Pure goal scorer, great skater, his style is suited for todays fast game. But he is 18 so only time will tell.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I agree, good point. Actually I think that Cernak could be a star (for example Hedman, Doughty kind of player) and difference maker player for our team.

Lets not overhype Cernak after one good season. He is still a rookie. If he would be able to follow with one or two more good seasons we might have a star D.

From that list I don't see any top end talent among players apart Cernak under 30y:
Tatar - serviceable 2nd liner
Panik - 3rd liner and PK unit
Cehlarik - need to establish himself in NHL
Jurco - 4th liner at best
Dano - bust
Marincin - 3rd pair/7th D
Jaros - 3rd pair D
Cernak - top 2 D

Out of prospects Studenic, Pospisil, Liska, Roman, Hrenak, Ruzicka, Durny, Huska, Fehervary, Bucek my bet would be on the first 3 to have a crack at NHL at some point.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Marek Korencik will move to the U.S. next season, where he'll play for UMass-Lowell in the NCAA. He was a much improved player this past season, I can defenitely see him having NHL upside as a late bloomer.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Marek Korencik will move to the U.S. next season, where he'll play for UMass-Lowell in the NCAA. He was a much improved player this past season, I can defenitely see him having NHL upside as a late bloomer.

Really? I personally never liked him at the U20s. I actually thought he was one of our worst D-men, if not the worst.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Really? I personally never liked him at the U20s. I actually thought he was one of our worst D-men, if not the worst.

I thought nothing of him during the 2017/2018 WHJC, but defenitely saw improvement during the tournament in 2018/2019. Think he played pretty big minutes but can't find the ice time stats.

Anyway, he went from 12 points (2+10) to 20 points (6+14) this season in Lulea's U20 team. He also went from a -5 to a +25 player, and was assigned team captain. Near the end of the season he was called up to the SHL. He was credited with a game, though he didn't get to play a single shift. The offensive production saw an increase in the WHJC too, going from 0 points to 3 (1+2) in 5 games.

Still, he's more of a defensive defenseman and that's gonna be his bread and butter at the pro level. But improving on his puck moving skills and shot from the point will defenitely help him. The improvements he made this season could've only happened due to hard work. Hopefully he contineus that way. He may never make the NHL full time, but I would not be surprised to see him sign a deal somewhere within the next 3-4 years and get a cup of coffee in the big league.

Whatever happens, he's another young name worth pointing out that could help the national team, just like Bodak and Ivan. Speaking of "older" players, I remember liking Mislav Rosandic a lot during his WHJC campagin some years ago, and I see he was close to making the national team for this WHC. All in all, I think Slovakia are in fairly decent shape on the back end. But goalies and centers are big needs.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
I thought nothing of him during the 2017/2018 WHJC, but defenitely saw improvement during the tournament in 2018/2019. Think he played pretty big minutes but can't find the ice time stats.

Anyway, he went from 12 points (2+10) to 20 points (6+14) this season in Lulea's U20 team. He also went from a -5 to a +25 player, and was assigned team captain. Near the end of the season he was called up to the SHL. He was credited with a game, though he didn't get to play a single shift. The offensive production saw an increase in the WHJC too, going from 0 points to 3 (1+2) in 5 games.

Still, he's more of a defensive defenseman and that's gonna be his bread and butter at the pro level. But improving on his puck moving skills and shot from the point will defenitely help him. The improvements he made this season could've only happened due to hard work. Hopefully he contineus that way. He may never make the NHL full time, but I would not be surprised to see him sign a deal somewhere within the next 3-4 years and get a cup of coffee in the big league.

Whatever happens, he's another young name worth pointing out that could help the national team, just like Bodak and Ivan. Speaking of "older" players, I remember liking Mislav Rosandic a lot during his WHJC campagin some years ago, and I see he was close to making the national team for this WHC. All in all, I think Slovakia are in fairly decent shape on the back end. But goalies and centers are big needs.

Yeah, I admit his stats don't look bad, but I don't know, I just didn't like him, he seemed slow and sloppy to me. Hope he proves me wrong, though.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Rosandic can look good offensively, but he was pretty bad defensively in pre-IHWC games. I guess it stems from the fact that he used to be a forward and was turned into a D-man pretty late into his youth career.

I think for goalies we have some decent prospects, not so sure about centers.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia

Rosandic can look good offensively, but he was pretty bad defensively in pre-IHWC games. I guess it stems from the fact that he used to be a forward and was turned into a D-man pretty late into his youth career.

I think for goalies we have some decent prospects, not so sure about centers.
From centers I hope for Myklukha, Slafkovsky, maybe also Roman, Pospisil and Ruzicka could still be decent centers if they improve their skating..

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Just one note from my side, although the result in this championship is maybe disappointing for many Slovak fans, the next Slovak ice hockey congress held in next month will be more important for the future of Slovak hockey IMO. The new leadership will be voted for the next period of 4 years.
It is obvious that current leadership started some projects and changes in hockey community but to have some results they would need more time than only 3 years.
I heard that maybe Miro Satan will be one of the candidates for president of hockey federation, we will see..

Reactions: Faterson

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It's so strange that it is just 1 month away and we know no official candidates. I guess they want to wait until after IHWC, but that leaves them little time to tour the clubs in order to get their votes.

I think we should bid for next years' u18 Division I tourney to give Igor Nemecek something to do and in order to stop him from having any funny ideas. :D

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Cernak
Cehlarik
Jaros
Fehervary
Ruzicka
Studenic
Pospisil
Roman
Hrenak
Durny

But you have also to consider, how it looks with others countries.
- The top six is still way in front.
- Germany, as we see it now, is still a hockey country.
- Swiss are better from year to year and have very competitive domestic leagues.
- Belarus showed some prospects in the U18 championships, that in 5 years could make a big splash.
- Denmark, Latvia, France ... Ok, here cant i see such progress.

Overall: There is good potential. But lets not over-hype. Still far away from the golden years.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
But you have also to consider, how it looks with others countries.
- The top six is still way in front.
- Germany, as we see it now, is still a hockey country.
- Swiss are better from year to year and have very competitive domestic leagues.
- Belarus showed some prospects in the U18 championships, that in 5 years could make a big splash.
- Denmark, Latvia, France ... Ok, here cant i see such progress.

Overall: There is good potential. But lets not over-hype. Still far away from the golden years.

I think if some of our players born in late 90s can establish themselves in top Euro leagues, we could have more depth than the Germans.

The Swiss have the obvious advantage with NLA and also they have the young offensive NHL talent. I do wonder what they top D-core will look like in a few years though, Weber is already 30, Sbisa 29, Josi will also be 29 soon. They have Muller, Kukan and Siegenthaler, but can they replace those three eventually?

Danes need to have all their NHLers in order to compete and they suffer from the lack of Euro depth.

Latvia has an advantage over them in that regard and I think as long as Dinamo Riga exists, they will also continue to gives us a hard time.

Belarus has invested loads of money into hockey, from what I know mainly into building rinks, so they might have the numbers advantage over us soon if we don't increase our numbers.

France and Norway will be less competitive than the aforementioned teams in the future, I think. Norway will be rebuilding soon as they top core has had its peak a few years ago.

Reactions: stastny12 and Elvs

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Just one note from my side, although the result in this championship is maybe disappointing for many Slovak fans, the next Slovak ice hockey congress held in next month will be more important for the future of Slovak hockey IMO. The new leadership will be voted for the next period of 4 years.
It is obvious that current leadership started some projects and changes in hockey community but to have some results they would need more time than only 3 years.
I heard that maybe Miro Satan will be one of the candidates for president of hockey federation, we will see..

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Someone with his name and potential connections is more useful in a NT GM position than managing the federation.

Altogether I am not sure how I feel about the positions the golden boys are taking in hockey. I think that they can have their uses in Slovak hockey obviously, but they seem to be getting into positions that they have little relevant experience for. I mean once Chara retires, I am all for him to give out lectures to young players on all the extras he's been doing in order to get where he did in his career and doing it for so long, but I probably wouldn't exactly want him to lecture coaches on how to train small kids.

Also if we want to improve, we need way lots more of this kind of things: Hokej ako zábava. V Novom Meste nad Váhom prebieha seminár trénerov prípraviek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad