WC: Team Slovakia

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
So MVPs for Slovakia this tournament: Sekera, Cernak, Sukel

My thoughts...
Who I've been happy with: Sukel, Marincin, Cernak, Panik, Sekera, Studenic, Fehervary, Liska
Who did OK: Tatar, Kristof, Zigo, Godla, Daloga (pitty he got injured), Hudacek, Lantosi, Bondra, Cajkovsky, Nagy
Who I expected more from: Ciliak, Rybar, Luntner, Jaros, Dano

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Didn’t see this coming so soon. But great news. Clear the entire staff out. RESULTS MATTER PERIOD
Ramsay didn’t deliver. Maybe SZLH should hire a big time sports psychologist so this mental failures can be rooted out and perished.

I think it is quiet obvious that Ramsey's job wasn't only about delivering results, he was there to teach coaching as well and to help start the rebuild - and by that I mean actually doing it, not taking a bunch of players in their mid to late 20s and then complain about how we had a young inexperienced team as the reason why we didn't get the results afterwards.

But even a Canadian head coach isn't enough to teach our players that the game is played for 60 minutes.

Also, a lot of people who talk about the problems in Slovak hockey say that one of the main issues is the overwhelming focus on having results, even with very young kids. All the while the trend in the world, which has resulted in Sweden and Finland producing top talent is letting kids be kids and play the game and enjoy playing, not drilling system and trying to win everything. I understand it is different with the men's team, but I would be careful about making any statement about not delivering results while not seeing the positive things.

Also, it's not like they fired him, sounds like there was an agreement he would do it for 2 years only/he left of his volition.

And there is no sense in extending Ramsey's contract before the SZLH elections, we have seen in what kind of situation that can result back when Ciger was coach even though the new leadership didn't really want him anymore.

Also, whom would you suggest as coach who could deliver the results which Ramsey didn't?

I would assume if the current leadership of SZLH continues that they will go with someone who has learnt from Ramsey as Lasak kept going on about how much Ramsey had taught them.

Reactions: stastny12

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I was very happy with Ramsey's impact on the national team and everything around it. If he is not extended, pitty, I hope whoever replaces him continues with what was started, the change was noticeable.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Didn’t see this coming so soon. But great news. Clear the entire staff out. RESULTS MATTER PERIOD
Ramsay didn’t deliver. Maybe SZLH should hire a big time sports psychologist so this mental failures can be rooted out and perished.
You have to be kidding me. Man, he delivers a SYSTEM and finally we played equal games with top6. Lot of young players came to NT, as well. Definitely, there was a positive wind in our hockey. Very bad news that he is done. Period. If you cant see it then is something wrong...

Reactions: degustator

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
You have to be kidding me. Man, he delivers a SYSTEM and finally we played equal games with top6. Lot of young players came to NT, as well. Definitely, there was a positive wind in our hockey. Very bad news that he is done. Period. If you cant see it then is something wrong...

Yes, but Ramsey doesn't speak Slovak :sarcasm: /s

Btw Jukka Tikkaja's position was also for two years I think. So I wonder whether he will leave as well.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Why didn't Panik play today btw?
Just my speculation, but it was known that his insurance was the most costly as our hockey federation had to cover it and there is likely a participation fee in case of injury, and given the fact that the game against Denmark was irrelevant as our tournament was already over, they didn't want to risk him getting injured.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Boris Valabik, color commentator of RTVS, said after the foul, that Moritz Seider closed his doors to NHL with this simulation. It was maybe a penalty, but it doesnt looked so bad.

Other commentators also noticed that the plexi glass was flexing towards Seider after it being hit by other players a moment before and that this flex possibly exagerated the force on Seider. It was definitely not a dirty hit by Nagy, it was a very mild and late shove (penalty at most), Seider loosing balance and crashing into plexi with that unfortunate flex.

Reactions: degustator

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Nagy himself said in some post-game interview that he definitely didn't think he did anything dirty and that he was surprised to see Seider being helped off ice.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Other commentators also noticed that the plexi glass was flexing towards Seider after it being hit by other players a moment before and that this flex possibly exagerated the force on Seider. It was definitely not a dirty hit by Nagy, it was a very mild and late shove (penalty at most), Seider loosing balance and crashing into plexi with that unfortunate flex.

It's a bit funny because they actually changed the boards in both rinks to IIHF approved boards prior to the tournament which are supposed to be better for avoiding player injuries. But there have been so many issues with them in several games that I feel like they are actually more likely to cause injury than the old ones.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Boris Valabik, color commentator of RTVS, said after the foul, that Moritz Seider closed his doors to NHL with this simulation. It was maybe a penalty, but it doesnt looked so bad.

What a silly comment. It wasn't just maybe a penalty. :thumbd:

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
It's a bit funny because they actually changed the boards in both rinks to IIHF approved boards prior to the tournament which are supposed to be better for avoiding player injuries. But there have been so many issues with them in several games that I feel like they are actually more likely to cause injury than the old ones.
I've been to one of the games just 2 rows behind the boards, and they were flexing extremely, so I am not at all surprised that Seider got a hit from it. I can see why IIHF might like the flex, as it cushions down the initial hit against the boards, but if another player crashes into them as they flex back towards the players, that's more dangerous than hitting a regular flexing board.

Edit: I found the highlight, it definitely was a late hit worth a penalty. In my opinion however, Nagy didn't exert any extreme force and didn't go in with any dirty intention, wasn't going fast when he checked, didn't leap from his skates, there definitely was a plexi flex towards Seider's face, so unfortunate. Penalty? - correct. Dirty? - no.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Boris Valabik is a good color commentator, best one in the history i can say

Valábik is excellent, but Peter Šťastný was 10.000x better in the late 1990s. No one can touch him as a color commentator. (As a player, too, of course, apart from a handful.) I remember how Šťastný as color commentator used to sing praises over these unknown rookie players, named Chára and the Sedin brothers. I thought he was being too kind to Chára, just because he was a fellow Slovak. Oops.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I think that would depend on whether NHL/AHL players are allowed. They were the last time even though they were not allowed to the actual Olympic tourney.
Or there is a still good chance do not play qualification, at all. It depends on IIHF. They will decide about quality of chinese team. I think China hockey team has nothing to do in Olympics.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Next WC I want to see something like this. I do not expect participation players like Panik or Tatar. On the other hand, Jurco and Dano will probably play in Europe next season. My look on offensive part.

Jurco-Hrivik-Ruzicka
Studenic-Kristof-Cehlarik
Liska-Sukel-Bucek
Bondra-Roman-Dano

Other promising candidates: Griger, Lamper, Hrehorcak, Cajkovic, Kukuca, Lunter, Pospisil, Krivosik, Buc, Hudacek, Lantosi...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Or there is a still good chance do not play qualification, at all. It depends on IIHF. They will decide about quality of chinese team. I think China hockey team has nothing to do in Olympics.

Yes, but I think we are No. 10 in the rankings atm, not 9, not sure if this already reflects this year's tourney from places 9 to 16 or not and how much points we, Latvia and Norway will get.

upload_2019-5-22_16-40-59.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->