Olympics: Team Russia 2022

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It looks like Zub can be a good RHD option. I personally think, he's going to be better, than Zadorov and even Orlov, especially considering he's a natural RHD.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I've definitely seen Ovechkin struggle internationally at times, but he's still Ovie - you put him on the 1st or 2nd line unless he looks bad in the first few games, then you consider changes.

I don't remember, when Ovi was good in international tournaments last time. He even sucked in Vancouver, being at his best.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
With Vasilevski in goal and some good d-men....Russia will be a threat. I can see Vasi pulling a Richter from 96.

Overall, miles better than Czech and Slovaks, probably close to Finland.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Only so many Russian centres to choose from. The fact it's on North American ice tells me it would be silly to try any KHL guys there, they'd get eaten alive most likely. Still, it's a decently strong team.
1.The NA argument is dead as KHL teams shifted towards smaller rinks.

2.It's simply that a lot of the guys on that roster actually were KHLers not so long ago. And they can handle themselves in the NHL. So on one hand recent KHLers like Kaprizov, Gusev, Gavrikov, Grigirenko are not getting eaten alive in the NHL, on the other hand they are technically not KHLers anymore, so there are no guys in the KHL to choose from. Well, except for Shipachyov, who is by all means a NT caliber player right now.

It is the nature of things. Nothing's linear. We had a big group of guys leaving for NA just in the last year. They were all more or less due at the same time for various reasons. So now there will be a smaller gap when there are no notable KHLers to pick. Also coincidentially the touted career KHL stars like Mozyakin or Zaripov are officially old and out of the picture.

In a couple of seasons there might be some notable new names in the KHL again.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Guessing it is basic knowledge to any hockey fan on the globe that the KHL switched to the smaller ice. If anybody is still using this NA ice argument, he should not be taken seriously anymore due to his/her lacking basic hockey knowledge.

Reactions: Atas2000

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

2.It's simply that a lot of the guys on that roster actually were KHLers not so long ago. And they can handle themselves in the NHL. So on one hand recent KHLers like Kaprizov, Gusev, Gavrikov, Grigirenko are not getting eaten alive in the NHL, on the other hand they are technically not KHLers anymore, so there are no guys in the KHL to choose from. Well, except for Shipachyov, who is by all means a NT caliber player right now.

It is the nature of things. Nothing's linear. We had a big group of guys leaving for NA just in the last year. They were all more or less due at the same time for various reasons. So now there will be a smaller gap when there are no notable KHLers to pick. Also coincidentially the touted career KHL stars like Mozyakin or Zaripov are officially old and out of the picture.

In a couple of seasons there might be some notable new names in the KHL again.

None of Kaprizov, Gusev Gavrikov (a D I would put on the team) or Grigorenko are NHL quality centres though, while Namestnikov and Anisimov represent options at that position. The pool for centres is very dry after Kuznetsov and Malkin for Russia but defense and goaltending is better than ever.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Guessing it is basic knowledge to any hockey fan on the globe that the KHL switched to the smaller ice. If anybody is still using this NA ice argument, he should not be taken seriously anymore due to his/her lacking basic hockey knowledge.

I thought there were bigger offensive zones in the KHL with a smaller neutral zone? I remember SKA had an announcement a few years ago about rink alteration or did I miss a part of what they were doing when they went to smaller rinks in the KHL. Now maybe the Olympics will be played on similar ice, I would think one rink will be setup this way in terms of are they not using the KHL teams rink in Beijing?

The style of play often still looks very different to me at times. I do love watching the KHL though when I get a chance. I think the change of pace during play in the KHL that teams and players do is lacking in a lot of other leagues, but that is just my opinion when I watch it. I think teams are more varied in terms of their styles and some of the game flow.

Last edited:

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) announced in December that it had upheld a ban on Russia from competing at world championship sporting events, relating to state-sponsored doping and cover-ups at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
CAS confirmed that it had cut the four-year ban proposed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to two years, meaning there will be no dedicated Russian team at the upcoming Olympic Games or the next FIFA World Cup in 2022. Ends December 2022.
I presume that also covers the 2022 Winter games.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) announced in December that it had upheld a ban on Russia from competing at world championship sporting events, relating to state-sponsored doping and cover-ups at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
CAS confirmed that it had cut the four-year ban proposed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to two years, meaning there will be no dedicated Russian team at the upcoming Olympic Games or the next FIFA World Cup in 2022. Ends December 2022.
I presume that also covers the 2022 Winter games.

It just means "Olympic athletes from Russia" again.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
None of Kaprizov, Gusev Gavrikov (a D I would put on the team) or Grigorenko are NHL quality centres though, while Namestnikov and Anisimov represent options at that position. The pool for centres is very dry after Kuznetsov and Malkin for Russia but defense and goaltending is better than ever.
I don't really care much for "NHL quality". Grigorenko could play center to Gusev and Kaprizov to revive their junior line. Namestnikov and Anisimov are not half the players Shipachyov is. I would rather have Barbashev play 4C than any of those two on the roster regularily.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't really care much for "NHL quality". Grigorenko could play center to Gusev and Kaprizov to revive their junior line. Namestnikov and Anisimov are not half the players Shipachyov is. I would rather have Barbashev play 4C than any of those two on the roster regularily.

Shipachyov couldn't cut it in the NHL before. He wouldn't cut it now. Everytime the KHL players do very poorly against the elite teams.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Shipachyov couldn't cut it in the NHL before. He wouldn't cut it now. Everytime the KHL players do very poorly against the elite teams.
The VGK couldn't cut it. Shipachyov could cut it then and can do it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad