Speculation: Team Name Discussion v2.0 (See Post 93)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I actually think Night Owls doesn't sound too bad. Not too "adult" for a team name and something that invokes the obvious nightlife of the big city without ever touching on gambling or what have you, and it rolls off the tongue smoother than Night Hawks.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Please don't label me a hipster, but I'm not a fan of tough names for the sake of being tough. It comes off as compensative. It's why I actually love the Ducks name. It's so unintimidating. It's amusing that some people think a name like that is embarrassing. I guess I just like it ironically and that qualifies me as a hipster but I just don't buy in to having to brand your team as something fierce. The team will determine how much the opponent is intimidated, not the name or logo.

P.S. Las Vegas is in line to be my #2 team, but they'll pass the Ducks for #1 if they officially become the Fred Savages.

I think picking a team as your favorite based off of name is pretty weak for anyone over the age of 10

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If they are playing in the Pacific division you got:

Animals: Sharks, Ducks, Coyotes
People: Canucks, Kings, Oilers
Thing: Flames

So with that in mind, it shouldn't be an animal or a person because there's already three of those. A thing would be better.

Las Vegas Flash, Las Vegas Sting, Las Vegas Thunder, and Las Vegas Venom have all been used by LV teams in the past. I like all of those except Thunder.

But I guess they'll go with some form of Hawk (or won't, or will, or won't). Eh. Can't win 'em all.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If they are playing in the Pacific division you got:

Animals: Sharks, Ducks, Coyotes
People: Canucks, Kings, Oilers
Thing: Flames

So with that in mind, it shouldn't be an animal or a person because there's already three of those. A thing would be better.

Las Vegas Flash, Las Vegas Sting, Las Vegas Thunder, and Las Vegas Venom have all been used by LV teams in the past. I like all of those except Thunder.

But I guess they'll go with some form of Hawk (or won't, or will, or won't). Eh. Can't win 'em all.

Would like when they play Tampa.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I think picking a team as your favorite based off of name is pretty weak for anyone over the age of 10

I think it's pretty weak if you honestly, truly, even slightly thought I was serious. I know it's the internet but for crying out loud, I shouldn't have to include :sarcasm: when talking about naming an NHL team the Fred Savages.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I think it's pretty weak if you honestly, truly, even slightly thought I was serious. I know it's the internet but for crying out loud, I shouldn't have to include :sarcasm: when talking about naming an NHL team the Fred Savages.

It would be an awesome thing... The Fred Savages! :sarcasm:

th

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
How about the Las Vegas Vegans, since Las Vegas residents are called Las Vegans, and it would attract a hipster fanbase?

Kinda like The Los Angeles Angels, whose name is literally The The Angels Angels (of Anaheim).

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
I keep trying to get out of this discussion because there's really nothing to talk about, but it keeps pulling me in. I'm like Michael Corleone.

All I'm sure of right now after all of the conflicting statements, after the domains, after everything, is that last week's leak isn't real. If they're going to register the domain under Black Knight financial services where are the new domains? Surely somebody would've found new domains by now.

Someone's watching Twitter, the blogs, this message board and having a good time watching us try to figure it out. To them I say, pick something good. If you come to us with Neon Knights after all of this, we've got major beef. :laugh:

At least they'd have a good song to call their own. :eek:

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
How about the Las Vegas Vegans, since Las Vegas residents are called Las Vegans, and it would attract a hipster fanbase?

Kinda like The Los Angeles Angels, whose name is literally The The Angels Angels (of Anaheim).

Actually, and I thought about this as well, they should be called the Las Vegas Meadows.
The Meadows is the English translation of Las Vegas. Now that would be more like the Los Angeles Angels. It's not a horrible name if you think about it.

calvegas04

Jun 23, 2016
Las Vegas
Actually, and I thought about this as well, they should be called the Las Vegas Meadows.
The Meadows is the English translation of Las Vegas. Now that would be more like the Los Angeles Angels. It's not a horrible name if you think about it.

The Meadows destroy the predators... no that isn't a very good name lol

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
If we truly believe the private moniker is the key here

Lions
Gladiators
Silver Knights
Thunderbird
Cavaliers
Wranglers
Peregrines
Desert Knights
Stealth
Cobras
Venom

Lions are MGM but in NFL i doubt it, Gladiators ex AFL, Cavs in NBA, Wranglers ex ECHL, Cobras and Venom are snakes that Foley said he didn't want.

That leaves you with;
Silver Knights, Thunderbirds, Peregrines, Desert Knights, Stealth

I definitely believe the team name will come from this group of 5.

Frankly, given the fact that they have no plans to be a team again I think this makes this a slightly more likely option than average, I could be off there, though. AHL teams had no problem picking up old ECHL names when they did their old switch-a-roos..

EDIT: So, admittedly I'm a tad high now, and intellectually I'm aware the team is just as likely to be the Wranglers (or my better highdea that spawned from thinking about the absurdity of suggesting they'll adopt the defunct Wranglers name,) as the Black Knights or the Lucky Sevens or some ****... With all that being said, I wouldn't mind Las Vegas Thunder coming back at all. It has a ring to it, I could see some cool logo/color schemes, and the sporadic Thunder vs. Lightning games will keep NHL.com headline writers rolling in Tubmans.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Brett Favre and Dale JR could be the mascots, sponsored by Walmart™!

That's why I don't get why people like the western stuff. Not only are we not western as a city, but western stuff isn't Cowboys anymore. It's some moron wearing Wranglers and white New Balance shoes while listening to Garth Brooks sing Low Places or whatever it's called for the nine hundredth time.

Pass.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I can live with a Wild West theme and name. I don't mind that as much. What I mind is reviving an ECHL team as an NHL team. It's one thing to take an ECHL team to the AHL. But the Wranglers suffered their death way too recently and the jump from the ECHL to the AHL is far too big.

I really REALLY don't want it to happen. The Wranglers have their own history and memories in the minds of many Las Vegans. I think it gives the new NHL team a bad start to carry that tradition over as though they're the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad