Speculation: Team Name Discussion v2.0 (See Post 93)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Las Vegas Vipers? You get a little alliteration and if you are lazy and drop the Las it still sounds good, Vegas Vipers. No one in the league has snakes as their name/logo and the only hockey team with the Vipers name is a BCHL team in Vernon, BC that is so obscure I doubt anyone outside of BC has heard of them. Leaves lots of room for colour schemes and I'm sure you can make a pretty badass logo with a viper.

And the whole Aces being related to gambling thing is stupid. You can use playing cards without gambling. It's as much of a gambling reference as the LA Kings.

member 151739

Just tell Foley to make it the Silver Desert Vipers, and he'll be on board.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm honestly very VERY pro Nighthawks at this point. Compared to Desert Knights. But the main boards is losing their minds worse than me as though Desert Knights has been finalized.

member 151739

I honestly don't mind Desert Knights. Makes me think of nomads with scimitars. Like the Redguard from Skyrim. But then again, I'm a dork.

I just know if I see another "Vegas V___" suggestion, I'll go crazy.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/coyotes-kill-toronto-singer-in-cape-breton-1.779304

Here in Manitoba near the fringe of the city its recommended to not jog alone in a few places cause of coyotes and coywolves. Our hunting laws enable open season on Coyotes with zero limits I believe.

Article from 2009. Six years ago.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I've done a little more research and to this point there doesn't seem to be any trademarks for any (pending or otherwise) Las Vegas Knights name other than Las Vegas Black Knights and we all know about that one. Peregrines no. There is a dead trademark for Las Vegas Nights. Nighthawks no.

I'll keep searching but I don't think they've come to the point of a trademark yet.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've done a little more research and to this point there doesn't seem to be any trademarks for any (pending or otherwise) Las Vegas Knights name other than Las Vegas Black Knights and we all know about that one. Peregrines no. There is a dead trademark for Las Vegas Nights. Nighthawks no.

I'll keep searching but I don't think they've come to the point of a trademark yet.
Registering the trademark isn't something that must happen ASAP. They've got limited protection the day they start doing commerce with any name. I'm sure they'll get on it ASAP, but those filings are pretty public so they'll likely delay.
Is it possible that they have a name and are just releasing these goof names to throw off the scent?
I think that's exactly what's happening.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
After all of this time and planning, I'm having a hard time believing that they don't already have a name in place.

They've likely got a name.

I also think they didn't do much until there was a team. Listening to Murray Craven on Sinbin earlier this week it seems like they really didn't know there was going to be a team until very late in the process. That supports a lot of what Foley said.

It seems like they were really trying to keep everything on hold except for the ticket drive since that was the only thing they really had permission to do. It seems to me like they didn't want to anger the hockey gods/governors by making progress towards anything other than getting the team, and then start everything else after the team was awarded.

We all thought maybe the leash was loosened a little when we saw the practice facility plans and that they were using Pittsburgh's plans. However, that was later found to be completely untrue and a social media mistake by Todd.

Outside of season ticket deposits, I really think they started at square one the day after the expansion was announced.

Jun 6, 2016
I really appreciate the great lengths they've gone to cover up and mislead the public with the naming if that is indeed the intentions.

Not having the media blow it by dropping the name before the reveal would be a bummer, as much as we all want to know.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They've likely got a name.

I also think they didn't do much until there was a team. Listening to Murray Craven on Sinbin earlier this week it seems like they really didn't know there was going to be a team until very late in the process. That supports a lot of what Foley said.

It seems like they were really trying to keep everything on hold except for the ticket drive since that was the only thing they really had permission to do. It seems to me like they didn't want to anger the hockey gods/governors by making progress towards anything other than getting the team, and then start everything else after the team was awarded.

We all thought maybe the leash was loosened a little when we saw the practice facility plans and that they were using Pittsburgh's plans. However, that was later found to be completely untrue and a social media mistake by Todd.

Outside of season ticket deposits, I really think they started at square one the day after the expansion was announced.

I don't think that's entirely true. I think the things that couldn't be done until the organization was put together were put on hold but I'm sure there was plenty of work and planning done before the reveal.

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
I don't *hate* Flying Aces as much as some of the names, but it just strikes me as a tad too bush league. It would be a great name for a college club team.

The aerial/military/raptor(bird) motifs seem to be the best options if we're not going to get a Knights variation though. Once they pick one it will be fine, I think dragging out the process in the internet age is stupid but marketing departments in all sorts of industries still think it's the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad