WC: Team GB 2019 Roster

Chevx

Jul 5, 2017
Planet Earth
I always wish the newbies the best and as I'm sort of an cultural Anglophile (Czech citizen there) and I really LOVE your jerseys, I'm hoping for some surprising moments with that squad.

Can anyone else give me short overview of who to watch, what is the current situation etc.?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I suppose it is good to remain optimistic but different bookmakers offer odds which indicate an estimated probability of a German win against Great Britain to be between 92.84% and 95.25%.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I suppose it is good to remain optimistic but different bookmakers offer odds which indicate an estimated probability of a German win against Great Britain to be between 92.84% and 95.25%.

I have an accumulator with football and hockey. Have Germany -3.5 so you know. Optimistic to a certain extent. Hopes and dreams live and die with the Denmark and France games.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
I always wish the newbies the best and as I'm sort of an cultural Anglophile (Czech citizen there) and I really LOVE your jerseys, I'm hoping for some surprising moments with that squad.

Can anyone else give me short overview of who to watch, what is the current situation etc.?

From a GB fan perspective the ones to watch are:

Ben Bowns - Game stealing ability in the EIHL, superb goaltender.
Ben O'Connor - Flashy offensive defenceman
Brett Perlini - Brother of Blackhawks' Brendan Perlini, good player.
Robert Farmer - Agitator come goal scorer, drives the net well.
Mike Hammond - Skilful player, PPG in the EIHL.
Ben Lake - Skilful player like Hammond, but quicker.
Matthew Myers - Workhorse, never gives up, hard nosed player.
Evan Mosey - Very fast.

I'd say at best these guys are somewhere between ECHL and AHL quality, but closer to ECHL.

Besides O'Connor and Mosey, we do not have a very mobile defence and that will inevitably cost us. We have some decent forwards though who might be worlds apart from the likes of those for the USA and Canada but I won't be massively surprised if we cause the opposition some problems.

We definitely won't be the most skilled team at the worlds but we are a very hard working team and we won't give up.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
If I put a £1 bet on Canada to beat GB in regulation.. I'd get a massive £0.02 in profit.

Putting £1 on there being over 10 goals would get me a £1.60 profit.

Surprisingly though, SkyBet only put GB at 28/1 to beat Canada which is pretty dreadful, I was expecting 1000/1 or more.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Dare to dream is really interesting to watch. Unfortunately it is frozen right now.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
All-time results of Great Britain against the other teams of Group A:

Canada (19 H2H)
16L 0D 3W

Denmark (24 H2H)
11L 4D 9W

Finland (2 H2H)
0L 0D 2W

France (28 H2H)
14L 2D 12W

Germany (14 H2H)
10L 1D 3W

Slovakia (3 H2H)
3L 0D 0W

United States (10 H2H)
5L 3D 2W

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
All-time results of Great Britain against the other teams of Group A:

Canada (19 H2H)
16L 0D 3W

Denmark (24 H2H)
11L 4D 9W

Finland (2 H2H)
0L 0D 2W

France (28 H2H)
14L 2D 12W

Germany (14 H2H)
10L 1D 3W

Slovakia (2 H2H)
2L 0D 0W

United States (10 H2H)
5L 3D 2W

Make that 3 losses against Slovakia now after the preparation game last week:

Slovakia - Great Britain 7:1 Sheffield OG qualifications 1993
Slovakia - Great Britain 7:3 IHWC B championship 1995
Slovakia - Great Britain 6:1 exhibition game in Poprad 2019

Reactions: Urbanskog

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
From a GB fan perspective the ones to watch are:

Ben Bowns - Game stealing ability in the EIHL, superb goaltender.
Ben O'Connor - Flashy offensive defenceman
Brett Perlini - Brother of Blackhawks' Brendan Perlini, good player.
Robert Farmer - Agitator come goal scorer, drives the net well.
Mike Hammond - Skilful player, PPG in the EIHL.
Ben Lake - Skilful player like Hammond, but quicker.
Matthew Myers - Workhorse, never gives up, hard nosed player.
Evan Mosey - Very fast.

I'd say at best these guys are somewhere between ECHL and AHL quality, but closer to ECHL.

Besides O'Connor and Mosey, we do not have a very mobile defence and that will inevitably cost us. We have some decent forwards though who might be worlds apart from the likes of those for the USA and Canada but I won't be massively surprised if we cause the opposition some problems.

We definitely won't be the most skilled team at the worlds but we are a very hard working team and we won't give up.

Lets hope you beat Finland

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Denmark-France game is not looking good for GB.

Every game is different, any of those teams can have that day when nothing comes in and GB can score on first 2 shots and then we will see...

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Every game is different, any of those teams can have that day when nothing comes in and GB can score on first 2 shots and then we will see...

Yeah but it is not likely that Danes would lose both France and GB. I think biggest hope for GB was that head to gead against France decide who stay in top division. You never know of course. Hopefully they can took least point today against Germany.

edit: Danes got one back. I expect they turn it around in last period.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Yeah but it is not likely that Danes would lose both France and GB. I think biggest hope for GB was that head to gead against France decide who stay in top division. You never know of course. Hopefully they can took least point today against Germany.

edit: Danes got one back. I expect they turn it around in last period.

I don’t know why everybody makes France such an underdog every year, they rarely were in danger of relegation. Their depth is much better than a decade ago, if they didn’t miss their elite line they could easily fight for QF against Germany and Slovakia.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I don’t know why everybody makes France such an underdog every year, they rarely were in danger of relegation. Their depth is much better than a decade ago, if they didn’t miss their elite line they could easily fight for QF against Germany and Slovakia.

You are right but like you said they missing their best guys this year. They got Texier but otherwise this team really miss guys like Bellemare, Da Costa and Roussel. I dont see how anyone would pick other than France when they think which team GB could beat this year.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Anyone else think it was pretty dick move from Russell that he scrathed Shields today. I think in this case you should show more respect for guy like Shields.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Not at all, he looked well off the pace yesterday. It's the World Championships, not the Colin Shields Appreciation Tour.

Yeah but guy has been there forever and this was probably most special game for every player. It is not like they compete for gold. This is special tournament for those guys. But i also understand your point.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It's been fairly entertaining to read the dinosaurs on THF criticize Liam Kirk

Sure he needs to add strength, he's 19 years old. But he's basically the only GB forward that can control the puck, protect it to maintain possession, and find teammates when he's under pressure.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Are there any internal reserves how to improve the roster next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad