WC: Team GB 2019 Roster

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Can we? Yes, France in particular with a new coach and missing their best players. Denmark may be too much of a reach. Will we? Unsure, though after last year's madness who knows. A lot will depend, as it often has, on Bowns playing like he's capable of.

Reactions: Pardus
Feb 24, 2017
Would retired former Coventry Blaze and Guildford Flames goalie Brian Stewart have been in competition for this team had he been active and eligible?

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Gonna cheer for you guys along with Finland and Latvia! I also bought a nice Union Jack woolly hat last year I visited London. Don't know if I dare to wear it in the nearby pub when Finland faces GB :D

Good luck for you!

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Deep inside I'm rooting a bit for these british underdogs, as I have many, many friends in the UK.
But they have to get rid of these SUPER-UGLY jerseys now, if they want me to cheer them up, seriously. :sarcasm:
Their emblem and these revolting McDonalds-shoulderpatches really take the biscuit. :help:

Last edited:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Gonna cheer for you guys along with Finland and Latvia! I also bought a nice Union Jack woolly hat last year I visited London. Don't know if I dare to wear it in the nearby pub when Finland faces GB :D

Good luck for you!

The nearby pub? That's bascially british home soil... a matter of diplomatic immunity, mate! :D

Reactions: Pardus

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Deep inside I'm rooting a bit for these british underdogs, as I have many, many friends in the UK.
But they have to get rid of these SUPER-UGLY jersey now, if they want me to cheer them up, seriously. :sarcasm:
Their emblem and these revolting McDonalds-shoulderpatches really take the biscuit. :help:
That's most presumably just for these exhibition matches.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Is there any local media interest about these championships? Any chance this raises the sport's profile in the UK?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Robert Farmer -- there's a blast from the past. I remember him in his one game with the Ottawa 67's back in 2010. Not sure if that's his actual game, but he seemed to be trying to make a name for himself that game as a tough guy.

Weirdly he didn't stick around beyond that one single game.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Is there any local media interest about these championships? Any chance this raises the sport's profile in the UK?
Nothing in print outside of a handful of local papers (Sheffield Star has always had a big interest in the sport), BBC website has run a few articles but nothing anywhere near the front page. Doubtful we'll see anything.

Robert Farmer -- there's a blast from the past. I remember him in his one game with the Ottawa 67's back in 2010. Not sure if that's his actual game, but he seemed to be trying to make a name for himself that game as a tough guy.

He's always had the agitator role down pat since he was a kid, though he's now reinvented himself as a clutch goalscorer especially internationally. Brad Marchand is a decent comparison as he does have offensive talent while also being an absolute arsebag to play against. I believe Ottawa had a chance to bring in an import D (Adam Sedlak) and that combined with two silly penalties in his only game spelled his ticket back here.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Nothing in print outside of a handful of local papers (Sheffield Star has always had a big interest in the sport), BBC website has run a few articles but nothing anywhere near the front page. Doubtful we'll see anything.
That's unfortunate. One expects it will always be a minor sport where football is king, but if ever there was a reason for sports fans to pay attention to hockey, it's the rare occasion when the national team makes it to the second biggest stage in the international game.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I was in Budapest last year, I can’t this. I genuinely fear for the Canada game. Who can count that high?!

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Scored the last minute goal to get us here. What a hero, and a really solid player in the EIHL.

FabricatedArbitrage

Jun 26, 2018
Northern VA
I was in Budapest last year, I can’t this. I genuinely fear for the Canada game. Who can count that high?!

While neither the US or Canada game will be too pretty for GB, the US team looks to be MUCH stronger than Canada this year.. especially if they're able to pick up a couple more solid Dmen (via Columbus and/or the loser of SJ/COL series)

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Team GB's media team had a nightmare getting to Kosice in time for the first day of media today.

They flew from the UK to Warsaw in Poland, with the intention to connect onto a flight directly to Kosice.. Their initial flight was delayed by 90 minutes and they missed the connecting flight! The next flight wouldn't get them to Kosice until this afternoon which is after the scheduled time for media stuff to begin. So... Being as committed as they are, they got a taxi from the airport in Warsaw, all the way to Kosice! Around 500km and 7 hours drive.

The trouble didn't stop there though! Upon entering the Kosice area the taxi broke down. Members of the media team helped push the taxi as far as they could before giving up just a mile from the hotel, where they paid the driver and decided to walk the rest of the way.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Tough task but i think Germany is not impossible. France is probably their biggest opponent if they want to stay up though.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Team GB's media team had a nightmare getting to Kosice in time for the first day of media today.

They flew from the UK to Warsaw in Poland, with the intention to connect onto a flight directly to Kosice.. Their initial flight was delayed by 90 minutes and they missed the connecting flight! The next flight wouldn't get them to Kosice until this afternoon which is after the scheduled time for media stuff to begin. So... Being as committed as they are, they got a taxi from the airport in Warsaw, all the way to Kosice! Around 500km and 7 hours drive.

The trouble didn't stop there though! Upon entering the Kosice area the taxi broke down. Members of the media team helped push the taxi as far as they could before giving up just a mile from the hotel, where they paid the driver and decided to walk the rest of the way.

Remember going Ostrava - Krakow by taxi, but man, this is hardcore.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
Tough task but i think Germany is not impossible. France is probably their biggest opponent if they want to stay up though.

I think we could get to OT against Denmark and maybe Germany if they didn't have Draisaitl.

I watched the USA-Germany game the other day and they looked OK whilst the USA were finding their feet but they were at home, already played a game or two together and USA had just flown in for that one game. Reminded me of the Devils game against SC Bern.

France is the last game. Could be a real relegation six pointer. The French roster is mostly French league players and the British league is stronger than the French so that gives me confidence we can beat France.

Reactions: Chevx

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
France is the last game. Could be a real relegation six pointer. The French roster is mostly French league players and the British league is stronger than the French so that gives me confidence we can beat France.
On the other they stay in elite division for more than 10 years, they miss their best players, on the other hand they have depth better than ever full of young talented players like Texier or Gallet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->