WC: Team GB 2019 Roster

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
for those arguing about the Perlni brothers. Both have duel citizenship. But Brendan has declared Canada as his national team, his brother Brett played for a team called Guilford and played on the English national team for for 4 years from 2000 to 2004.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Brendan isn't eligible for the British. Just being born there isn't enough, you have to play at least two years in the country, which I don't think he's done. That also ignores the fact he's played for Canada at the the U18 and WJC, which would mean he'd need to spend at least four years playing in the UK to qualify.

Oh shit, I didn't know that. What a pity, he would have been a quality addition for the underdog. :(

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
for those arguing about the Perlni brothers. Both have duel citizenship. But Brendan has declared Canada as his national team, his brother Brett played for a team called Guilford and played on the English national team for for 4 years from 2000 to 2004.

fwiw again, Brendan also played in Guildford as a junior.

Here's a picture of Brendan Perlini & Sam Duggan rockin' their Guildford Jr. Flames tracksuits:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 12.24.55 PM.png

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Team GB have added four players to their training camp roster following a series of injuries.

Josh Tetlow - Nottingham Panthers
Sam Duggan - Cardiff Devils
Paul Swindlehurst - Belfast Giants
Joey Lewis - ESV Kaufbeuren

GB will face Italy and Hungry at the weekend before playing Torpedo Nizhniy Novgorod in a double header the following weekend.

FOUR ADDED TO GB SQUAD FOR TRAINING CAMP – IHUK

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Brendan Connolly and Mark Garside confirmed as unavailable, Steve Lee seems 50/50 as he spent the tail end of the season injured, Robert Farmer missed playoff weekend in hospital with a virus scare that sounds pretty bad and won't be skating until the weekend. No word on Shields but would assume that means he's playing the warmup games and will be available.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
I read today in a newspaper that Italian netminder Gianluca Vallini showed a tough performance and helped the team to kill many penalities.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
25 man squad announced.

RUSSELL NAMES 25-MAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SQUAD – IHUK

Perhaps the biggest omission being Ciaran Long. Top British pointscorer in the Elite League this past season, and awarded British Player of the Year by the league. There are technically two guys in the squad who got more points, but they don't count as British for the purposes of import rules in the league.

Pretty shocking. GB talent pool is so thin anyways. I think Shields, Myers and Phillips are there over him because they had been there for years. I think Peacock and Cownie would have been also decent options. And what about Lake and Billingsley? Is there some connection or are they just ''bought guys''? I think Paul Crowder had pretty good season and he has GB nationality if you believe eliteprospects but i guess he wasnt availavable. Other Crowder aswell. Taylor would be probably best dual but i think he is not even eligible.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Pretty shocking. GB talent pool is so thin anyways. I think Shields, Myers and Phillips are there over him because they had been there for years. I think Peacock and Cownie would have been also decent options. And what about Lake and Billingsley? Is there some connection or are they just ''bought guys''? I think Paul Crowder had pretty good season and he has GB nationality if you believe eliteprospects but i guess he wasnt availavable. Other Crowder aswell. Taylor would be probably best dual but i think he is not even eligible.

It's being suggested that Long may be carrying an injury. So maybe not a choice.

As a Glasgow Clan fan, Craig Peacock has been fairly poor for a few seasons now. His best performances in that period were for GB in Division IB - but this level is a bit higher...

GB are pretty strict with Dual Nationals. Everyone who plays has a parent or at least a grandparent from the UK - or were born/brought up here (Perlini). There basically needs to be some connection. Both of Ben Lake's parents are from England, not sure about Billingsley.

We've had plenty of guys who could have been naturalised over the years, but I like that we have a stricter policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: SK94

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Mike Hammond was honestly so useless for GB in D1A last season despite being the leading EIHL scorer so I can appreciate that the numbers are probably inflated for Ciaran Long as well seeing as he's on that line now.

But I find it hard to believe that Ciaran Long can't chip in more than some of the other usual suspects. Like Lachowicz can only produce any type of offense in D1B. You could argue he kills penalties but basically every Brit kills penalties in EIHL. Oliver Betteridge is already a better version of him.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Judging Ciaran Long twitter account i am pretty sure he was not cut because of the injury. It is interesting. Pete wanted couple more grinders and the decided that best Brit in EIHL is not good enough. Just sad actually.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
I remember Mosey playing as a forward. Is he a D now?
Plays both equally often, though I think he's slightly more effective on D.

which players are physical? do not uk play a typical old school north american game?
I would say Ehrhardt, Lee and Myers are the main physical players, then you've got pests like D Phillips and Farmer. We're a bit more skilful than in the past.

Reactions: ZT

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I disagree about the EIHL-DEL2 comparison. I think the top 4-5 EIHL teams would dominate that league in Germany.

Look at the CHL results from 2017-18 where the Nottingham Panthers finished top of their group ahead of top tier Swiss side SC Bern and Finnish team TPS.

Cardiff Devils also beat eventual champions Vaxjo Lakers. I'm sure this may have been a weakened squad but it's still one of Europe's very best teams, way stronger than any DEL2 side.

I'd have to disagree, I'd say the DEL 2 is better overall than the EIHL. Sure the top few teams but even then. EIHL top teams are artificial because of the 14/15 import players per team, where as in Germany they have a solid junior system and a good hockey pyramid for players to progress through. Germany producing NHL players while the EIHL can only dream to (as the EIHL clearly states they ARE NOT a development league)

Reactions: Retroglyphs

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
GB beat a 75%-strong Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 5-4, Dowd with two and Farmer with three. Whistle, D Phillips, Lewis and Lee are the scratches. They play again tomorrow.
D5MTaGmXkAADWN9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Retroglyphs

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
These are the lines I've managed to see so far in today's game vs. Torpedo, in Sheffield.

Jackson Whistle starts.

1st Line

Lake - Hammond - Dowd
Richardson - O'Connor

2nd
Perlini - Farmer - Lewis
Swindlehurst - Billingsley

3rd

J. Philips - Lachowicz - Betteridge
Ehrhardt - Mosey

4th

Ferrara - Myers - Kirk