WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
If Aho and Teräväinen won't come it will be a worse team than the Olympic one. That would also mean that the ones who would be available after 1st round of playoffs would probably decline too since the team will be too shitty to succeed.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If Aho and Teräväinen won't come it will be a worse team than the Olympic one. That would also mean that the ones who would be available after 1st round of playoffs would probably decline too since the team will be too ****ty to succeed.

In a recent interview Aho has said he will decide weather he goes or not, after spending few days in Finland.
He should be travelling to Finland in couple of days.

Teräväinen i think is a far fetch. From those two Aho seems more likely to come. (if he even comes to worlds that is)

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Of course it would be a gain for Finland if Aho comes. But if it's the case he needs strong teammates in his line in order to strengthen the team. If he is alone and no other top player will come, he is more or less lost in the team. But it doesn't look as if there are coming more player on his level. What I read here is that all refused to play at the WHC.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Osala said no and also there is rumours that Rämö and and Metsola don't go. Maybe our goalies could be Säteri, Husso and Lankinen.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So April 25th is the date when the last games of the first round of NHL playoffs are played if some games go to game 7.

If Winnipeg eliminates Minnesota (or the other way around) in 4 games, it would be April 17th already. Nashville-Colorado the date is April 18th. Guaranteed Finns in both series and what's even better is that 3 of those teams will be out after second playoff round.

Finland's first game in WHC will be on May 5th.

Seems quite safe to wait for second playoff round exit guys even.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
WHC schedule could also benefit Finland in waiting for players till the last moment possible. The first 3 games are against weaker countries and then the last 4 games seem to be hard. On the other hand the schedule is kind of made against Finland this year, many back to back games.

KOR - May 5
LAT - May 6
- Back to back game, doesn't matter though.
NOR - May 8
----
DEN - May 9 - Home team and they may have more NHL players than we have playing. Also a back to back game befefits DEN.
---
CAN - May 12
GER - May 13
- Third back to back game. Olympic success + Draisaitl. Scary.
USA - May 15

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
WHC schedule could also benefit Finland in waiting for players till the last moment possible. The first 3 games are against weaker countries and then the last 4 games seem to be hard. On the other hand the schedule is kind of made against Finland this year, many back to back games.

KOR - May 5
LAT - May 6
- Back to back game, doesn't matter though.
NOR - May 8
----
DEN - May 9 - Home team and they may have more NHL players than we have playing. Also a back to back game befefits DEN.
---
CAN - May 12
GER - May 13
- Third back to back game. Olympic success + Draisaitl. Scary.
USA - May 15
Last year, they had 2 unstamped passports for skaters and 1 for a goalie until around May 7. They were hoping for Rinne, and 2 skaters (Lehterä and Vatanen).

Leijonat odottaa NHL:stä täsmävahvistusta: "Hän toisi siihen kakkosketjuun lisää"

I could see them doing the same this year.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Last year, they had 2 unstamped passports for skaters and 1 for a goalie until around May 7. They were hoping for Rinne, and 2 skaters (Lehterä and Vatanen).

Leijonat odottaa NHL:stä täsmävahvistusta: "Hän toisi siihen kakkosketjuun lisää"

I could see them doing the same this year.

Lehtinen & Marjamäki need the maximum patience for this tournament. I simply want as many NHL guys as possible, even if they don't get many practice games with the team. I don't want to see anymore games where Finland scores 0 goals.

Last edited:

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
During the NHL Season i was very happy about the top performance by finnish players. I thought it could be positive year for year for Leijonat when some top NHL-Players could be a member of them.Now i must to ascertain that no will is there.
National teams become more and more dependent from good NHL-Players because the gap becomes bigger and bigger between NHL and European Players. Thus it makes for me no sense occupy me further with Leijonat. Bye bye! I none more!

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

Has Marjamäki´s tenure been a disapontmet? Yes. Is there problems with his credibility? Maybe

But haven´t this been a problem for longer time. In 2016 they managed to make this super team, but other than that there have been lot declines from even KHL players. I´m afraid that this is going to be the standard with this generation. I don´t get that heated about players declining (partly because it opens a place for a player who is truely motivated to play in NT), but it does start to look really bad compared to other countries. I mean there is going to be Hart trophy winners from two previous season in the tournament.

Well I love goalie speculation.. Where from are the rumours that Metsola and Rämö decline. I mean I would think it would be intriquing for them because the starting goalie role is open. I guess it depends what Raanta does (likely decline, lot of small injuries during season).

Lankinen is one of the three goalies I expected to raise their game to EHT level. I have been always high on him. To the extend that as juniors I considered him having better pro upside than Husso. (well part of that was that it was the hopefully old lazy Husso). I still believe that he may get his chance to NHL contract. Though I doubt that he would be straight in this team.

Kilpeläinen will probably be one of the goalies if he doesn´t complitely suck on the camp. Veteran goalie who was ready to be with team from day one.

Last edited:

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Wow! Hartikainen say no too! Maybe Finland could be send a "Mestis-Allstar" Team to WC ;) ;).

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Wow! Hartikainen say no too! Maybe Finland could be send a "Mestis-Allstar" Team to WC ;) ;).
If it wasn't for Korea I would be afraid of Finland being in division B next year.. Well if we don't get any better NHL players than Honka and KHL players keep declining I might have to be worried again lol.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
If it wasn't for Korea I would be afraid of Finland being in division B next year.. Well if we don't get any better NHL players than Honka and KHL players keep declining I might have to be worried again lol.
Yes we need much humor now for this Tournament. ;)!

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

And Honka is just a tweener and not quite NHL ready

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Can anyone tell me if it's because Marjamäki is the coach or only because they just have no interest at the WHC that no NHLer wants to play for Finland?

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Can anyone tell me if it's because Marjamäki is the coach or only because they just have no interest at the WHC that no NHLer wants to play for Finland?

Is Marjamäki factor. Maybe.. Maybe not... I don´t have anykind of inside information so it would be just speculation.

I think that some players have admitted that playing in WHC isn´t that nice option. WHC means lot more in Finland than in any other country. This means media attention. Hype. And players get their share of critque from fans and media.

Also Finns seems to see today it as bad career move. They want to train... negotiate beter contracts... They seem to think the risks more than some others.. Or atleast it seem like that.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Many people not named Ken Hitchcock would disagree with this statement.

Yea? I assumed because of his NHL stats and how he's gotten benched a few times that he's just not ready.

I'm open to being wrong and kind of curious about the situation now.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Is Marjamäki factor. Maybe.. Maybe not... I don´t have anykind of inside information so it would be just speculation.

I think that some players have admitted that playing in WHC isn´t that nice option. WHC means lot more in Finland than in any other country. This means media attention. Hype. And players get their share of critque from fans and media.

Also Finns seems to see today it as bad career move. They want to train... negotiate beter contracts... They seem to think the risks more than some others.. Or atleast it seem like that.
WHC is in small hockey countries very important. In Germany,Switzerland,Austria etc. is WHC the benchmark. Under the Big Nations like Canada,USA,Sweden and normally Russia and Finland should have a little meaning.
But be honest. We fans are happy when we can look at WHC our Country with the national shirts. Even one or other Canadian is suddenly interested in it.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well, the goalie situation just went from troublesome to decent.

It's highly unlikely to get any better, though. Säteri will be our starter unless Colorado manages to eliminate Nashville. In such a situation, it's of course hard to say what Rinne would do, but Saros would also be an upgrade.

It will also be interesting to see Husso on the camp. Interest aside, him getting an invite also tells us that the management probably doesn't have a plentiful crop of goalies to pick from. There was some talk about Metsola and Rämö declining on top of Koskinen, and it looks like that talk was true. Husso's stats from the AHL are not bad, but he would hardly be getting the time of day from Marja & co if these euro reliables were available.

Last edited:

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Could we just skip this year? The only NHL players willing to play with this coach are the AHL players who want a showcase.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Another terrible team with barely any NHL talent. That being said, the Finns have a weak D even with everyone coming over. Hopefully at least a few of the high profile D prospects become legit top 4 players, otherwise the national team will be totally unbalanced. Of course it would help that the next generation would also want to play for the national team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad