WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I think it was equally Marjamäki and players.

We finally have difference makers on our team. Almost two lines of them, but they didn´t make the difference when everything was on the line. I didn´t feel like watching Marjamäki hockey this time. He did manage to change his game somewhat. In a way you could say he did "let the kids play". Even if that may have been partly mistake. When things got tougher neither the key players or the coach had the tools to fix thngs. We lost three times while being favourites. Too inexperienced team.

Also the physical game. Especially showing in the Germany game. We are seriously lacking. We may have now speed and skill, but you can´t forget the strenght. You can do only that much by positioning (which was pretty bad from our whole defence for the whole tournamet) I challenge people to name our top 5 defensive Dman at this time. It´s hard.

Center department in big picture looks prettu worrying. Marjamäki could have made better choices, but there wasn´t much to choose from after Kontiola, Koskiranta, Kemppainen and Lajunen declined.

Also we are seriously lackind depth overall. Olympics showed that our European elite is not really on the level where it use to be. And when the European "elite" declined or retired from NT (Centers, Kukkonen, Pyörälä, Hartikainen, Hietanen, Lepistö, Ohtamaa and Koskinen) this is the team we end up with.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Dufva was not Jalonen's assistant in the 2011 tournament, he quit after the 2010 games. The assistants in 2011 were Petri Matikainen and Pasi Nurminen.

Ty for the clarification. I did remember Matikainen and Nurminen. I thought all 3 of them were involved.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Center department in big picture looks prettu worrying. Marjamäki could have made better choices, but there wasn´t much to choose from after Kontiola, Koskiranta, Kemppainen and Lajunen declined.

I think that we still need our older generation NHL centermen and Kontiola. Really hoping that few of them will join next year.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I'm glad that this Marjamäki bashing is finally over! He was certainly not the worst coach ever seen but Finnish bandwagoners gather up and throw him under the bus all the time. I can't help but wonder who are all these better choices over Marjamäki who is basically getting treated like he's next to a crap. Name 5 or even 3 CLEARLY better names... I can think of one clearly better and he's our next coach Mr Jalonen. That's about it. I would maybe like to see Marjamäki to coach Finland again if not for the improvement he has gone through to be even better but to see these bandwagoners faces when they hear their hated coach is back! :D

Rite eh... Rites of Spring and Rites of Fall. This is how they come together, one and all.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I think that we still need our older generation NHL centermen and Kontiola. Really hoping that few of them will join next year.
This is why we absolutely need more NHL level centermen. Barkov alone can't cut it and Koivu is too old already. Aho needs to start playing C in Carolina and I hope Kotkaniemi will become a solid C.

Reactions: Mestaruus

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Centers are definitely an issue but there are still excellent options like Barkov and Aho. Also the wingers look very good going forward for years to come. However, Finland will continue to have issues no matter who the forwards are if the national team is forced to rely on a weak D core. For a top hockey country there is a shocking lack of good NHL defensemen. Our D is laughable compared to Canada, Sweden or the US.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The Lions used to compete with Ylönen as our second best NHL center. A competent coach can still build a helluva competitive team each year if the NHLers don't hate his guts.

Reactions: Ippenator

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
Positive is great but not att the cost of winning attitude. Sweeds are experts on this. Always focus on the performance and never take anything for granted. Victories comes only from hard work and dicipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad