WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I seriously want to see Raanta in the tournament. I don't care if we don't get much else. Good goaltender is huge thing if we want to succeed.

And I think we hate our coach more than the Swedes. Marjamäki hasn't won anything and his loss record against good teams is astonishing.
Raanta has no contract.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I know, I can dream, right? :)
heheh absolutely. But let's be realistic, unless he signs his next contract in April, there's basically a zero chance that he will play in Denmark.

Personally, I'm fine with Koskinen if he can make it. I was really hoping for Raanta too. Too bad these contract issues always end up hurting us. We could have had a much better team last year.

On the other hand, I hope we get Lindell, Honka from Dallas.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
I'd like to see Kähkönen as 2nd G, he's getting gud. Actually why not go for the younger guys? We've had the same national team for like 6 years and they won't accomplish anything with Marjamäki.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Defence:
Lepistö-Ristolainen
Lindell-Honka
Heiskanen-Ohtamaa
Pokka-Jokipakka

Others: Virtanen, Hietanen, Koivisto, Lehtonen...

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Well, we said that last year as well.

I actually think Finland will ironically do well this tournament. If not, no big loss really

Reactions: illone84

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Well, we said that last year as well.

I actually think Finland will ironically do well this tournament. If not, no big loss really

I'll be happy if Finland makes it to the qf.

I'm more excited for 2019, since the world champs will be in slovakia. And we all remember what happened the last time the tournie was hosted there :)

Reactions: LAINEC

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
I'll be happy if Finland makes it to the qf.

I'm more excited for 2019, since the world champs will be in slovakia. And we all remember what happened the last time the tournie was hosted there :)
Yeah, wasn't that the one where we barely made it out of the groups?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I seriously want to see Raanta in the tournament. I don't care if we don't get much else. Good goaltender is huge thing if we want to succeed.

Raanta is unlikely to join due to contract negotiations. Some others who are unlikely to join for the same reason were listed by some Finnish sport news site a week ago:

Antti Niemi,
Antti Raanta
Juuse Saros
Miikka Salomäki
Iiro Pakarinen

Also Kontiola isn't coming.

I'm hoping that Ristolainen and Lehkonen come this time as they skipped last year. People will really hate on Ristolainen if he skips again.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm interested to see if Marjamaki can draw the NHLers over. He doesn't seem to have the pull.

But he has a lot of Kärpät connections. Then once you have a bunch of NHL players with Kärpät background, that might attract more NHL players and suddenly you have a lot of them.

I assume that a player can still make it to the WHC after second round of NHL playoffs, but those players will probably miss some games if that happens?

I believe that Nashville and Winnipeg are likely to face each other on the second round of the playoffs. To me Nashville looks like the best team in the league right now so if Winnipeg is out by then and Laine would say yes, I'm sure that would attract more NHL players to join as well. If Winnipeg wins that, Rinne is a decent consolation price while Saros will have his contract negotiations.

Last edited:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
But he has a lot of Kärpät connections. Then once you have a bunch of NHL players with Kärpät background, that might attract more NHL players and suddenly you have a lot of them.

I assume that a player can still make it to the WHC after second round of NHL playoffs, but those players will probably miss some games if that happens?

I believe that Nashville and Winnipeg are likely to face each other on the second round of the playoffs. To me Nashville looks like the best team in the league right now so if Winnipeg is out by then and Laine would say yes, I'm sure that would attract more NHL players to join as well. If Winnipeg wins that, Rinne is a decent consolation price while Saros will have his contract negotiations.

Definitely. But by the time the 2nd round is being played, there will most likely only be 1 or 2 slots left.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
My take on who might be coming and who's likely not:

Raanta - Contractless, plus has suffered from injuries. So unlikely.

Lehtonen - Contractless. Unlikely.

Niemi - Ditto.

Gibson - Ditto.

Ristolainen - A huge question mark. Contract ok, but... eh.

Lindell - Contract ok, might show up.

Honka - Ditto.

Pokka - Contractless, but still a maybe. Might have more to win than lose from a good WHC.

Puljujärvi - Contract ok, but said himself he's looking forward to quality practice. So unlikely.

Aho - Contract ok, might show up.

Teräväinen - Ditto.

Lehkonen - Contract ok. Has had a bumpy season though. But plausible.

Jokinen - Contractless.

Of the teams that might miss or make it in (and then exit early), Barkov has never shied from NT duty. So if Florida comes up short, he's a likely addition. Rantanen is another I chalk as possible. If Philly exits early, Filppula will be contractless. Lehterä has a standing contract, and might be motivated, but is there any use for him? If we get Barkov and Aho, then not much, I'd say. Marjamäki might disagree though.

To sum up, having Lindell and Honka for defense would be a good pair to build around. Forward situation would also be nothing short of stellar if we got all of Barkov, Rantanen, Aho, TT and Lehkonen. But it's good to keep expectations in check and assume we might miss at least one or two.

Then there's of course Tolvanen. Unless he pulls off another mean feat and somehow staples himself to the Preds lineup, he'll probably be available. At least he himself likely wouldn't say no.

The overseas goalie situation doesn't look good. Of course, that won't be a huge issue if Koskinen is willing. And even if he isn't, I'd be fully content putting my money on Rämö. Oh, right, there's Säteri. He's a maybe. But I'd still rank Koskinen and Rämö ahead of him.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think lots of <ei kiitos = no thank you > from our NHL boys
They don't want to play for Marjamäki and his system.

It will be interesting to see are we able beat Belarus in the first exhibition games
Thursday & Friday with this first camp roster:

Larmi,Kilpeläinen

Jurgens,Lehtivuori,Lukka, Näkyvä,Riikola,Vaakanainen,Vainio

Björkqvist,Ikonen,Jormakka,Manninen,Meskanen,Niemi,Puustinen,
Sallinen,Sandell,Savinainen,Suomela,Suomi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad