WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It's hard to watch this game against Belarus. and be entertained. We need some Aho & Teräväinen action already. Hopefully they join around 19.4 date when Czech EHT starts.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
06 IIRC.

I know Nummelin was still there and Saku was not. He played exclusively center until Olli or someone else joined from the NHL. It was ages ago at least..
I remember the semi-final when we lost to Cze and Olli Jokinen fought or tried to fight Kaberle.

Also, good memories of thrashing Canada in the bronze game. That's about all I can recall from that year's world champs.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
06 IIRC.

I know Nummelin was still there and Saku was not. He played exclusively center until Olli or someone else joined from the NHL. It was ages ago at least..
You don't recall quite correctly. Finland's centre lineup before OJ joined mid-tournament was Esa Pirnes - M.Koivu - Jari Viuhkola - Riku Hahl. Tommi Santala was the extra centre, he only played in one game. After OJ joined, Viuhkola and Pirnes alternated as the 3rd line C game in, game out, while the other was 13th forward.

Reactions: mattihp

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It will be a treat to watch Vesalainen in WHC this year. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Is there a decent chance that he will play?

It wouldn't feel right if they didn't select him. He should've been in the Olympics already. What more can he do to earn that spot? Only if our top-6 are filled with NHL players could danger that. I think he should be selected regardless.

I mean he can still start playing bad but it's unlikely when he has played like this for the entire season. Best player of Finland in U20 too. Doesn't matter what team he is in, he's just a beast this season.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It wouldn't feel right if they didn't select him. He should've been in the Olympics already. What more can he do to earn that spot? Only if our top-6 are filled with NHL players could danger that. I think he should be selected regardless.

I mean he can still start playing bad but it's unlikely when he has played like this for the entire season. Best player of Finland in U20 too. Doesn't matter what team he is in, he's just a beast this season.

What more younger players in Finland's world championships team this year that better for future.
I'm tired to see those old farts like Kukkonen etc every f***ing year in world championships.
If we ( Finland) wanna win a medal 2022 winter Olympics in Beijing we have to start rebuild our national team now not later.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
What more younger players in Finland's world championships team this year that better for future.
I'm tired to see those old farts like Kukkonen etc every ****ing year in world championships.
If we ( Finland) wanna win a medal 2022 winter Olympics in Beijing we have to start rebuild our national team now not later.

I somewhat agree with you but maybe Kukkonen wasn't the best example as he will most likely be there if he wants to as Marjamäki and him have so much history. Kukkonen is fine by me if we don't get a proper captain like Koivu.

Need a good mix of experience and youth in this WHC. Marjamäki was bolder than I expected with his Olympics selections and I want him to be even bolder now but there has to be some veteran presence as well.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I somewhat agree with you but maybe Kukkonen wasn't the best example as he will most likely be there if he wants to as Marjamäki and him have so much history. Kukkonen is fine by me if we don't get a proper captain like Koivu.

Need a good mix of experience and youth in this WHC. Marjamäki was bolder than I expected with his Olympics selections and I want him to be even bolder now but there has to be some veteran presence as well.

Hard to predict what happens in the playoffs as usual, but I'm hoping that the Wild drop in the first round.

Koivu is getting older, and his chances to get another gold are fading. I see him playing for maybe 3 more years in the nhl.
Also, Granlund has no contract issues like he did last year.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Stanley Cup Playoffs

A lot of Finns will be free no matter what after playoff round one if it stays like this.

These are the biggest Finn on Finn projected match ups as of now:

Jets vs Minnesota
Columbus vs Pittsburgh
Nashville vs Colorado

Colorado is in a very tight race with St. Louis for a playoff spot, but Avalanche is leading that race currently and they won't beat Nashville anyways... It would be surprising if Rantanen declined the NT invitation.

I don't see Winnipeg losing to Minnesota at all when Suter is injured. So almost safe to say Granlund and Koivu will be out.

Then that second PO round is projected to be Jets vs Nashville and it should be possible for those players to join last minute or something.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Hard to predict what happens in the playoffs as usual, but I'm hoping that the Wild drop in the first round.

Koivu is getting older, and his chances to get another gold are fading. I see him playing for maybe 3 more years in the nhl.
Also, Granlund has no contract issues like he did last year.

Suter's injury was the last nail in the coffin. It already looked really bad before Suter's injury for Minny and now they are just done without their all-star level defenseman unless miracles happen. Jets are not so experienced in playoffs so we will have to see the series first though.

Koivu declines is my feeling and Granlund would join. Just guessing.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Suter's injury was the last nail in the coffin. It already looked really bad before Suter's injury for Minny and now they are just done without their all-star level defenseman unless miracles happen. Jets are not so experienced in playoffs so we will have to see the series first though.

I'd be happy with even just Granlund.

Rantanen Barkov Granlund
Aho TT Vesalainen

ps. Winger positions might be screwed up, sorry I'm tired. But would like to see this top 6.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017

Well then again, Wild have no pressure in the playoffs this year, so they might surprise even if Jets are the heavy favorites.

It's weird, imho while the nhl:ers are as good as ever i feel the guys in european leagues are getting worse. Without a good chunk of Granlunds and Ahos I don't think we will go very far

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Stanley Cup Playoffs

A lot of Finns will be free no matter what after playoff round one if it stays like this.

These are the biggest Finn on Finn projected match ups as of now:

Jets vs Minnesota
Columbus vs Pittsburgh
Nashville vs Colorado

Colorado is in a very tight race with St. Louis for a playoff spot, but Avalanche is leading that race currently and they won't beat Nashville anyways... It would be surprising if Rantanen declined the NT invitation.

I don't see Winnipeg losing to Minnesota at all when Suter is injured. So almost safe to say Granlund and Koivu will be out.

Then that second PO round is projected to be Jets vs Nashville and it should be possible for those players to join last minute or something.
Last spot should be reserved for Laine in case Jets don't beat Nashville.

Best case scenario

Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Aho-Haula-Teräväinen
Donskoi-Koivu-Granlund

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Let's not forget about Tolvanen. I can't of course tell if the Preds rather want him playing or sticking around as an extra, but it certainly doesn't look like he'll be a major part of their playoff run. So if they want him playing, he'll be back to Europe soon.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Let's not forget about Tolvanen. I can't of course tell if the Preds rather want him playing or sticking around as an extra, but it certainly doesn't look like he'll be a major part of their playoff run. So if they want him playing, he'll be back to Europe soon.
Agreed. As mentioned earlier, I have a hunch that he'll be playing in Denmark next month.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Last spot should be reserved for Laine in case Jets don't beat Nashville.

Best case scenario

Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Aho-Haula-Teräväinen
Donskoi-Koivu-Granlund

I was also playing with the potential roster with a .txt file and I'm getting pretty optimistic that we get a monster line up. I actually ended up with those 3 exact lines in my super optimistic scenario but I'm pessimistic about Koivu coming. Haula or Donskoi is guaranteed to be out after PO rd2 as their teams meet then latest. Both might be out before that though.

It kinda culminates in Barkov, Rantanen, Aho, Teräväinen first saying yes and then a lot of others following because these guys said yes. Marjamäki surely doesn't have the best reputation now but those 4 coming would matter a lot. Helps if we get Lindell, Lepistö and Honka as well for starters.

Let's not forget Komarov and Kapanen. Toronto vs Washington. Komarov has hinted for a NT return... Anything can happen in that playoff match up.

Vatanen-Ristolainen
Lindell-Honka
Lepistö-Nutivaara (/Määttä)
Heiskanen

Maybe Ristolainen comes if we are superloaded with NHL players. I hope.

Pittsburgh-Columbus so one of Määttä or Nutivaara should be coming.

Hietanen and/or Kukkonen if we get declines. If Koivu's absence and few of these NHL defender's absence I kinda want Kukkonen to be there for that leadership/locker room stuff.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I want him to rest so badly :(. I love the guy but he has played too much. Vesalainen has more energy at this point of the season and I'd go with Vesalainen over Tolvanen for that reason.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
One thing is certain. Tolvanen will play if Nashville survives to the deep end. Look last year what they had to do when injury wave hit predators hard, they had to replace Forsberg and Fiala with AHL caliber wingers. I would think they'd rather replace their star players with Tolvanen if and WHEN injuries occur.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I wish Marjamäki would of gotten das boot after Olympics
its soooooooooo mind numbing and sickening watching
Marjamäki style of hockey. - if Finland would win more,
or just win to begin with, it would be bearable.

Has any of our coaches gotten fired before the worlds?
i know this has happened with few countries over the years,
but in Finland? - it sure be a joyful day, if'd that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad