WJC: Team Finland 2019 U20 WJC Roster Talk

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Who'll be 2nd line C if / when Ikonen is out of U20 WJC's.
Is it Kupari, Talvitie, Lundell or someone else like Kristian Tanus.

Not much to choose from the center department. After Kotkaniemi, there really isn't any locks for remaining 3 center spots. Kupari, Lundell, Tanus, Virtanen, Maansaari, Petman, Seppälä and Koskenkorva are some options.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Not much to choose from the center department. After Kotkaniemi, there really isn't any locks for remaining 3 center spots. Kupari, Lundell, Tanus, Virtanen, Maansaari, Petman, Seppälä and Koskenkorva are some options.

How about Henri Nikkanen does he have chances to make U20 WJC team.
Anton Lundell could be dark horse to make this years U20 WJC team but how likely it is.

Lundell hasn't played much practice games in U20 team yet so will Ahokas invite him training camp is another story.
Also Lundell's role in HIFK is open HIFK is still looking 1st line center so hard to see Lundell getting that spot.

He's also 16 yrs old and if he plays in HIFK's liiga team i think Selin wants play him winger.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Lundell could really be a dark horse. He made it to to u18 team last year and was pretty phenomenal all things considered. Excellent two-way game and doesn't lack size. Of course the skating wasn't there yet and it's going to be interesting to see how much he has developed during the summer. There are many good candidates for the team and I would suppose that at least Kotkaniemi and Kupari are pretty much locks at the moment. Anyway anything right now is just speculation. We'll have to see as the season unfolds.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
My team based on the 8 U20 matches seen so far

NHL/AHL: Vesalainen,Heiskanen,Tolvanen
Injured: Ikonen

Niklas Nordgren - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Kaapo Kakko
Aleksi Heponiemi - Rasmus Kupari - Jesse Ylönen
Linus Nyman - Otto Kivenmäki - Lauri Pajuniemi
Aarne Talvitie - Santeri Virtanen - Sampo Ranta
Teemu Engberg

Aleksi Anttalainen - Oskari Laaksonen
Urho Vaakanainen - Henri Jokiharju
Eemeli Räsänen - Anttoni Honka
Toni Utunen

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Lassi Lehtinen
Justus Annunen

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Teemu Engberg

Toni Utunen

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Lassi Lehtinen
Justus Annunen
I have seen worse rosters. I wonder how this compares to the 2014 team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Teemu Engberg

Toni Utunen

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Lassi Lehtinen
Justus Annunen

edit* dont know if Nordgren injured longterm

Needs more Anton Lundell

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wouldnt mind seeing him in the team but hasnt played in U20 NT matches this season or ever and wasnt excactly lights out at Hlinka either

Kotkaniemi wasn’t lights out at the Hlinka a year ago either and he should’ve made the WJC team. I also think there’s a real need here for another skill guy that plays center. Using Kupari at center is not good for him or the team. Maybe most years Lundell wouldn’t make this roster, but I feel like this year would be a good year to add a wildcard entry to the team like that.

Henri Nikkanen is another guy to consider at center. I think Finland has to include one of the two, otherwise there will be middle six center problems.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Kotkaniemi wasn’t lights out at the Hlinka a year ago either and he should’ve made the WJC team. I also think there’s a real need here for another skill guy that plays center. Using Kupari at center is not good for him or the team. Maybe most years Lundell wouldn’t make this roster, but I feel like this year would be a good year to add a wildcard entry to the team like that.

Henri Nikkanen is another guy to consider at center. I think Finland has to include one of the two, otherwise there will be middle six center problems.

Nikkanen's chances to make Finland's U20 WJC roster are theoretic and odds for that are 0,2- 0,5 %
So don't hold your breath to wait see him U20 WJC's this year.

Lundell might be in the team but it's more than set in stone.
Being very honest only 2001 born Finnish prospect who'll be U20 WJC's this year is Kaapo Kakko

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I wouldn't be at all worried about the center depth with Kotkaniemi and Kupari alone right now. Last year it was grave concern with no real first line center and Kuokkanen being the most disappointing forward since... maybe Kasperi Kapanen (and at least even he managed to score a golden goal). That is, when weighted against expectations of course. Nonetheless there are options available and I've specifically mentioned one already. I just hope there are no injuries that force them to pick several times worse replacements. Also who knows, there's always the possibility that someone has taken exceptionally large steps forward in development and we might have some competition even for the C spots if we are lucky.

The WJC is that one annual single tournament I'm most thrilled about, much more so than WHCs or some other events for example. The only ones that come ahead are World Cup and best vs best Olympics I suppose. This could turn out a very good year or at least it can't be much worse than last year. :)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
My team as of now:

Vesalainen - Kotkaniemi - Ylönen
Heponiemi - Kupari - Kakko
Nyman - Lundell - Nordgren
Koskenkorva - Talvitie - S. Moilanen
Pajuniemi

Vaakanainen - Jokiharju
Salmela - Honka
Utunen - E. Räsänen
Anttalainen

If Vesalainen is in the NHL, add Pajuniemi to the roster and Ranta replaces him as the 13th forward.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Ikonen is back by say December 1st, would that be enough time to make the team or do they just have better options since he would have been out for 6 months and could take a while to get his strength/skating back since it's the knee.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
My team as of now:

Pajuniemi

Vaakanainen - Jokiharju
Salmela - Honka
Utunen - E. Räsänen
Anttalainen

If Vesalainen is in the NHL, add Pajuniemi to the roster and Ranta replaces him as the 13th forward.

Not a huge fan of Nyman but otherwise I actually like these lines. Basically three capable units that can each push the play and score goals. There should be a good chance of getting Vesalainen since I doubt he's going to break into the Jets roster this year. The second line could be sick based on the showings from the pre-season alone (the chemistry between R.K & A.H and the rise of Kakko), but you really never know until the real games begin. I'd say the odds for competing again this year are good as long as there are no serious injuries. Of course losing Heiskanen is huge and defence could be better but nonetheless.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
My team as of now:

Pajuniemi

Vaakanainen - Jokiharju
Salmela - Honka
Utunen - E. Räsänen
Anttalainen

Jokiharju is a big if, Blackhawks are hoping/looking Jokiharju to play this season, there's role for him to take
Vesalainen&Vaakanainen are both ifs
(depends on possible injuries to both Winnipeg&Boston)
It would be awesome if we could get both

Kotkaniemi is obviously going to miss these games,
Montreal simply can't afford him go.

Heponiemi-Kupari-Kakko is our 1st line and it will be one hell of a 1st line
12+ points for all 3 i'm predicting.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Jokiharju is a big if, Blackhawks are hoping/looking Jokiharju to play this season, there's role for him to take

I don´t think Vesalainen is ready for the big club this year.... I hope he is though :)

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I think that only Heiskanen is surely out of the question. Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Kotkaniemi, Jokiharju and Vaakanainen are all ifs.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Why Ahokas should separate a line which worked well in U18 WJC's.
Keep Nordgren Kotkaniemi Kakko line together ( if Nordgren even makes in the team).

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

What are you talking about? He's playing for Ässät anyway and I don't think Montreal will mind where he gets experience from, as long as he gets experience.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Ikonen is back by say December 1st, would that be enough time to make the team or do they just have better options since he would have been out for 6 months and could take a while to get his strength/skating back since it's the knee.

I read some speculations of Ikonen in jatkoaika.com discussion board.
There some Kalpa fan mentioned Ikonen could be sidelined so long time that he probably will miss U20 WJC's.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
What are you talking about? He's playing for Ässät anyway and I don't think Montreal will mind where he gets experience from, as long as he gets experience.

Yeah that poster seems a little uninformed. It’s likely that only Heiskanen/Tolvanen miss, and the rest are available to Finland.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
My team as of now:

Pajuniemi

Vaakanainen - Jokiharju
Salmela - Honka
Utunen - E. Räsänen
Anttalainen

What about Laaksonen on D? Looked very impressive in the summer showcase games. Certainly much better than Honka. Honka's offensive potential might be too much to sacrifice, but I would easily pick Laaksonen over Rasanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad