WJC: Team Finland 2019 U20 WJC Roster Talk

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
What about Laaksonen on D? Looked very impressive in the summer showcase games. Certainly much better than Honka. Honka's offensive potential might be too much to sacrifice, but I would easily pick Laaksonen over Rasanen.

The way Räsänen has progressed, last and especially this season.. no one would pick Laaksonen over Räsänen at the moment. (expect to see more games for Räsänen in the KHL)

However...now that Blackhawks lost 2 top 6 d-men (Murphy for 8+ weeks) and Forsling is out as well
makes Jokiharju a 100% lock to Blackhawks opening day roster, (has playing with Keith in 1 d pair)
so there's definitely room in team Finland's u20 roster.

Time will tell on Vaakanainen, so, there can be even more room for d-men.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The way Räsänen has progressed, last and especially this season.. no one would pick Laaksonen over Räsänen at the moment. (expect to see more games for Räsänen in the KHL)

However...now that Blackhawks lost 2 top 6 d-men (Murphy for 8+ weeks) and Forsling is out as well
makes Jokiharju a 100% lock to Blackhawks opening day roster, (has playing with Keith in 1 d pair)
so there's definitely room in team Finland's u20 roster.

Time will tell on Vaakanainen, so, there can be even more room for d-men.

Jokiharju may only be up until the injured players return, which will be well before the world juniors.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Regarding Jokiharju, I recall that in 2013-14 Olli Määttä made the opening-day roster with Pens. At that point, Kris Letang was injured and mostly thought that Määttä will be sent to juniors when Letang comes back. Instead, Määttä played well enough to earn the regular spot even after Letang's return which happened on Oct. 25 (Game 10).

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Nordgren-Kotkaniemi-Kakko
Vesalainen-Lundell-Tolvanen
Heponiemi-Kupari-Ylönen
Nyman-Talvitie-Ranta

Anttalainen-Laaksonen
Vaakanainen-Honka
Kokkonen-Räsänen

Luukkonen
Lehtinen
Annunen

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Team might get obliterated with Kotkaniemi,Jokiharju,Vaakanainen,Vesalainen possibly making the NHL on top of that Heiskanen will be gone and I dont see them getting Tolvanen even from AHL and ofcourse Ikonen injured. with that in mind my team lottery atm

Aleksi Heponiemi - Rasmus Kupari - Kaapo Kakko
Niklas Nordgren - Henri Nikkanen - Jesse Ylönen
Aarne Talvitie - Anton Lundell - Otto Kivenmäki
Sampo Ranta - Santeri Virtanen - Lauri Pajuniemi
Linus Nyman

Aleksi Anttalainen - Oskari Laaksonen
Toni Utunen - Anttoni Honka
Elias Laitamäki - Eemeli Räsänen
Mikko Kokkonen

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Lassi Lehtinen
Justus Annunen

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Team might get obliterated with Kotkaniemi,Jokiharju,Vaakanainen,Vesalainen possibly making the NHL on top of that Heiskanen will be gone and I dont see them getting Tolvanen even from AHL and ofcourse Ikonen injured. with that in mind my team lottery atm

Aleksi Heponiemi - Rasmus Kupari - Kaapo Kakko
Niklas Nordgren - Henri Nikkanen - Jesse Ylönen
Aarne Talvitie - Anton Lundell - Otto Kivenmäki
Sampo Ranta - Santeri Virtanen - Lauri Pajuniemi
Linus Nyman

Aleksi Anttalainen - Oskari Laaksonen
Toni Utunen - Anttoni Honka
Elias Laitamäki - Eemeli Räsänen
Mikko Kokkonen

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Lassi Lehtinen
Justus Annunen
Kotkaniemi has been awesome, but I seriously doubt that they'll rush his development. He'll most likely be sent back to Liiga after a couple of games. The same goes for Vesalainen.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Tolvanen really is available for U20 WJC
and Vesalainen returns to Europe i can see Finland's U20 WJC team like this.

1st line Vesalainen Kotkaniemi Tolvanen
Vaakanainen Jokiharju

2nd line Nordgren Lundell Kakko
Utunen Honka

3rd line Heponiemi Kupari Ylönen.
Anttalainen Räsänen

4th line Engberg Talvitie Pajuniemi

7th defenceman Laaksonen / Teräväinen / Kokkonen ( depending injuries)
13 forward Virtanen / Moilanen / Ranta / Nyman / Nikkanen ( depending injuries)

Goalies
Luukkonen
Lehtinen
Annunen

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
If Tolvanen really is available for U20 WJC
and Vesalainen returns to Europe i can see Finland's U20 WJC team like this.

1st line Vesalainen Kotkaniemi Tolvanen
Vaakanainen Jokiharju

2nd line Nordgren Lundell Kakko
Utunen Honka

3rd line Heponiemi Kupari Ylönen.
Anttalainen Räsänen

4th line Engberg Talvitie Pajuniemi

7th defenceman Laaksonen / Teräväinen / Kokkonen ( depending injuries)
13 forward Virtanen / Moilanen / Ranta / Nyman / Nikkanen ( depending injuries)

Goalies
Luukkonen
Lehtinen
Annunen
That roster would crack some skulls, damn.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Would it? After the last two U20's i have lost all faith.

I just don't know where all this cynical vibe comes from and I'm not just talking about this particular post. If this team comes together and these kids get scratched by their NHL teams (Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Kotkaniemi etc), this could really become the best team from the ages. Even Ahokas would have hard time screwing things up. The country has sparkled into a new age of hockey where we have guys who are considered as one of the top prospects in the world. Not to even mention the young players already there (NHL).

Even if most of them turned out unavailable, I'd still think we'd get pretty damn good team together. Some faith wouldn't really be much asked at this point. Even Canada doesn't win every frigging year and their fans are not moaning (especially not ~3 months forehand).

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It should if we look at the roster. Coaching is a thing of it's own but there's no reason to be too cynical. 2017 was a disaster but we should give Ahokas more time.

If we ( Finland) wanna win U20 WJC medal with Ahokas the last chance to do that is this year.
Ahokas contract in U20 national team expires after this years U20 WJC's.

Of course Finnish hockey association can resign Ahokas but i think U20 team gets new head coach.
Who will coach our ( Finland's) young lions in 2020 U20 WJC's that remains to be seen.
But if i have to predict someone i say Tommi Niemelä or Juuso Nieminen.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I think there is a risk that Jokiharju is not available and also not Vaakanainen if injuries hit Boston
"Risk"? Shouldn't all of you Finnish hockey fans just be happy if these young promising players are not available for the WJC because of their solid play?

Reactions: Trilliann

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
"Risk"? Shouldn't all of you Finnish hockey fans just be happy if these young promising players are not available for the WJC because of their solid play?
haha, you are right, and I'm sure people are happy that the kids are doing well.
But this thread is about the u20 team and for that team it's a loss.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
haha, you are right, and I'm sure people are happy that the kids are doing well.
But this thread is about the u20 team and for that team it's a loss.
Exactly. Of course we want the youngsters to thrive in NHL etc but it´s a big loss for the u20-team and that´s what we are discussing here ;)

Reactions: Trilliann

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Kotkaniemi has been awesome, but I seriously doubt that they'll rush his development. He'll most likely be sent back to Liiga after a couple of games. The same goes for Vesalainen.

Vesalainen changed his number from a "stock young player at camp" number to 93, and he's been practicing on the third line with Ehlers. Looks like he's staying with the team for now at least.

Reactions: Nate070 and Koijari

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Vesalainen changed his number from a "stock young player at camp" number to 93, and he's been practicing on the third line with Ehlers. Looks like he's staying with the team for now at least.
Sounds awesome. Future top 6 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad