WJC: Team Finland 2019 U20 WJC Roster Talk

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
What a time to be a hockey fan from Finnish perspective. I have been following u20 tournament for 14-15 years and it was horrible for pretty long. We didn't have a chance against Canada and very slim chance against Swe/Usa/Rus

Super happy to have been wrong about this years team and Ahokas got the team to play just in the right time

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
What a time to be a hockey fan from Finnish perspective. I have been following u20 tournament for 14-15 years and it was horrible for pretty long. We didn't have a chance against Canada and very slim chance against Swe/Usa/Rus

Super happy to have been wrong about this years team and Ahokas got the team to play just in the right time
Amen! The first WJC I watched was in 1998! After that, it's been a long and bumpy ride! 2001, 2002, were good memories! I also saw Finland win bronze in 2006 live in BC. On the other hand, I've witnessed Finland lose 8-1 to Canada, live and direct.
Anyways, happy and proud to be a Finn!!! Hyvä suomi! Looking forward to seeing more golds in the future!

Reactions: Husqvarna

ndal88a

Dec 14, 2017
Taivas varjele, mikä sieltä tulee!!! Ihanaa Leijonat ihanaa!! Kautta rakkaimman isänmaan me juhlitaan kun voitetaan!!! And Poika Saunoo!!! etc. all the others finnish hockey songs.

We are the world champions!!! 2016 team we're phenomenal and once in the lifetime groups, but 2014 and now 2019 world champions are teams with major capital T.

This is our game!
In Tampere they had a party !!

JOL

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Sometimes honesty can be a downer.

Finland is celebrating tonight, but from an observational perspective, this team has had problems all tournament. Everything gets stuck in their own zone because the defense holds on to the puck for too long and can't decide what to do with it. This frequently causes them to get hemmed in for no reason. Potential offensive zone shifts become defensive zone shifts because the team gets stuck in their own zone after some of their line changes.

When they don't see anything, they throw it back behind their own net and then get pressured into losing possession.

"When they don't see anything, they throw it back behind their own net." This was actually Finland's intended strategy, which is based on puck possession, so the players were following the coach's order. This strategy is about having possession of the puck both in the offensive and defensive zones and sometimes includes recycling the puck back. Last year we played badly and disorganized, but this year the team returned back to a more puck possession based game, which was also present in 2014 and 2016 wins. Returning the puck back is sometimes a much better strategy than just dumping it aimlessly and giving the opponent the possession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad