WJC: Team Finland 2019 U20 WJC Roster Talk

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
In general 18 year-old netminders have a harder time at World Juniors than those that are 19, that extra year of development seems to make a big difference in many cases. Joni Ortio was a perfect example of this; he struggled as a 18 year-old, a lot more than Luukkonen did, but a year later he redeemed himself and had a good tournament.

Luukkonen didn't display the same kind of growth in his game during the second half of the season as Lehtinen did, but there was a pretty good reason for it. Luukkonen simply wasn't healthy for half the time and only played in 6 Mestis games after the World Juniors.

National team coaches have preferred Luukkonen over Lehtinen for two years now, so at this point it would be bit of a stretch to say that he isn't the odds on favourite to be the starter next season as well. That being said, it's interesting to see how the summer goes for these guys and how they perform at the first big U20 event of the season in early August. There's always room for surprises.

Lindberg played well with the U19 national team in February and April, he seems to be quite a promising netminder. Not the biggest goalie out there, but has some similarities with Saros in how quick and agile he is. BTW, game videos from those two tournaments can still be found from HokejkaTV.

I definitely agree that Luukkonen is heavy favourite. I tend to remember that his junor goalie coach mentioned that he had very little goalie coaching behind him before he came to HPK. And that kind of shows. I have lived in Hameenlinna and seen him play here and there. He got lot of critic for being slow after the WHC. I think he is pretty athletic for such a big goalie. But he tends to overplay, make himself small and his save selections are pretty awkward (Don't really find good english term on it). HPK has been good enviroment for young goalies and Lehtonen (first) and Lehtola (now) has done good job. (Saros, Larmi and need to mention Salmenkangas too. Not maybe NHL talent but intriguing pro prospect)

I just see Luukkonen bit more of long time project which might give outside chance to someone with a hot season.

Have you info about Molder. Have relied only on stats and stories this season. Stats seemed to drop at the end of the season. Did see him few times in Pelicans, but in both games Pelicans was such underdog that it was hard to evaluate goalie in a flow. Really a wild card.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I don't know much about Mölder. I've read the articles made by Arponen and watched few of his games from MHL's official Youtube channel, that's about it.

Here's one of Mölder's games from this past season if someone is interested, he's wearing a white jersey:

Reactions: Sanf

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Ikonen had surgery today and is out for 6 months. He should return in mid November.
Is he still be a lock for the team?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Ikonen had surgery today and is out for 6 months. He should return in mid November.
Is he still be a lock for the team?
how could he be a "lock for the team" when its impossible for him to make the team out of camp?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I didn't realize there was another Honka.....is that Julius' brother?

Yes. Anttoni is little brother of Julius Honka.
He played Finland's U18 WJC gold medal winning team this past April.

Due to late birthday ( 5th October ) Anttoni is 2019 NHL draft prospect.
He's projected 1st round pick next years NHL draft.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What do you think?
When hockey player goes to knee surgery and he'll be sidelined for the games 6 months
that means also he do not have chances to even play in world juniors so how in the hell he can be ''lock in the team'' in that situation.

He should be healthy 1 month before the world junior starts.
If its 6 month exact, he should be healthy November 14th. The tournament starts December 26th.
Considering Ikonen played 2C for Finland last year and was expected to play in the top 6 again, I don't see why they wouldn't bring him even if it's as a 13th forward.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He should be healthy 1 month before the world junior starts.
If its 6 month exact, he should be healthy November 14th. The tournament starts December 26th.
Considering Ikonen played 2C for Finland last year and was expected to play in the top 6 again, I don't see why they wouldn't bring him even if it's as a 13th forward.

Yeah for sure.
But lets see first how fast Ikonen recovers of knee surgery.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So our summer camp roster is:

Goalies

Annunen Justus, Kärpät Oulu
Lehtinen Lassi, Lukko Rauma
Luukkonen Ukko-Pekka, HPK Hämeenlinna

Defenseman:
Anttalainen Aleksi, Blainville-Boisbriand (QMJHL)
Honka Anttoni, JYP Jyväskylä
Isiguzo Bernard, TPS Turku
Jokiharju Henri, Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)
Laaksonen Oskari, Ilves Tampere
Latvala Otto, HPK Hämeenlinna
Riekkinen Joona, KalPa Kuopio
Räsänen Eemeli, Jokerit Helsinki
Salmela Santeri, KooKoo Kouvola
Teräväinen Eero, Lincoln Stars (USHL)
Utunen Toni, Tappara Tampere
Vaakanainen Urho, Boston Bruins (NHL)
Vesterinen Saku, KalPa Kuopio

Forwards:
Engberg Teemu, HIFK Helsinki
Heponiemi Aleksi, Kärpät Oulu
Jokinen Janne, HPK Hämeenlinna
Kakko Kaapo, TPS Turku
Klemetti Aleksi, KalPa Kuopio
Kotkaniemi Jesperi, Ässät Pori
Kupari Rasmus, Kärpät Oulu
Maansaari Olli, HPK Hämeenlinna
Moilanen Sami, Tappara Tampere
Nordgren Niklas, HIFK Helsinki
Nyman Linus, Lukko Rauma
Pajuniemi Lauri, TPS Turku
Ranta Sampo, Wisconsin Badgers (NCAA)
Seppälä Erkka, HPK Hämeenlinna
Talvitie Aarne, Penn State Univ (NCAA)
Vesalainen Kristian
Virtanen Santeri, SaiPa Lappeenranta
Ylönen Jesse, Pelicans Lahti
--

Nice to see Kakko.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Possibly without Heiskanen, Tolvanen, Kotkaniemi, Vesalainen, Jokiharju in this tournament.

Last edited:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Possibly without Heiskanen, Tolvanen, Kotkaniemi, Vesalainen, Jokiharju in this tournament.
Wait what? Heiskanen and Tolvanen probably won't be available because they will be in the NHL, but why would we not have the others? Vesalainen will be in the AHL, Kotkaniemi in Liiga and Jokiharju in WHL, so they should all be let to come.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Wait what? Heiskanen and Tolvanen probably won't be available because they will be in the NHL, but why would we not have the others? Vesalainen will be in the AHL, Kotkaniemi in Liiga and Jokiharju in WHL, so they should all be let to come.

Actually Hawks are planning top 4, top 6 role for Jokiharju next season in the NHL, so he is most likely unavailable too
but if he fails (to me, unlikely) in the camps, preseason games, he does return to WHL, so... i suppose anything is possible.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What do we think are the chances Pajuniemi makes this team?

As a 1999 born Pajuniemi is potential candidate to Finland's world junior roster.
But it wouldn't be first time when coach Ahokas makes questionable decisions in player selections.

Most Finns expected that Kotkaniemi would have been Finland's roster in U20 WJC's in Buffalo.
But some weird reason Ahokas didn't even invite him last training camp as this example shows everything is possible.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Actually Hawks are planning top 4, top 6 role for Jokiharju next season in the NHL, so he is most likely unavailable too
but if he fails (to me, unlikely) in the camps, preseason games, he does return to WHL, so... i suppose anything is possible.
Really? That’s great for Jokiharju, but bad for the U20 team. He did look solid with the men’s national team, so it’s not really surprising that Chicago would give him a chance.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I definitely agree that Luukkonen is heavy favourite. I tend to remember that his junor goalie coach mentioned that he had very little goalie coaching behind him before he came to HPK. And that kind of shows. I have lived in Hameenlinna and seen him play here and there. He got lot of critic for being slow after the WHC. I think he is pretty athletic for such a big goalie. But he tends to overplay, make himself small and his save selections are pretty awkward (Don't really find good english term on it). HPK has been good enviroment for young goalies and Lehtonen (first) and Lehtola (now) has done good job. (Saros, Larmi and need to mention Salmenkangas too. Not maybe NHL talent but intriguing pro prospect)

I just see Luukkonen bit more of long time project which might give outside chance to someone with a hot season.

Have you info about Molder. Have relied only on stats and stories this season. Stats seemed to drop at the end of the season. Did see him few times in Pelicans, but in both games Pelicans was such underdog that it was hard to evaluate goalie in a flow. Really a wild card.

Considering how awful Vehviläinen was in the WJCs with all the fundamental flaws in his game and how much he's improved since; I refuse to make predictions when it comes to goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad