WJC: Team Finland 2019 U20 WJC Roster Talk

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Well, by only watching the game, you could have seen that second line had a difficult time to have scoring-opportunities. We clearly have watched different games, because of your insights of the second period. Kakko played his own game and challenged the opposition in 1vs1-situations. But unfortunately the result was mostly a lost puck. Tolvanen was the player that made the most of opportunities for the second line.

Ahokas is doing alright with these players that he has. It's not his fault if the talent-level of the forwards isn't any higher. Scoring-race like we saw in WJC 2016 just isn't possible with these players. Lundell and Kakko will be a force to reckon with in the future, but to demand that they could do same kind of impact that Laine, Aho and Pulju were able to do, is just daydream fantasy.

And how many times did Heponiemi or Kupari tried to challenge players and lost pucks? Which line has spent the most time just trying to figure out a way out of their own zone? Also how many scoring chances did Tolvanen actually have until he finally got lucky with the pool-shot? There's a lot to hockey and the Canada game certainly wasn't Kakko's best game in the tournament, but saying he didn't deserve more ice time certainly was anything but warranted. He had been playing better than anyone of the formerly mentioned before this game. Also it is quite hard to find and get the right rhytmn when you don't get consistent ice time. Ask any player. With that said, no one was even insinuating about Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi kind of impact in regards to Kakko and Lundell, that's just a product of your own vivid imagination.

Ahokas was pushing a line to score a goal that hadn't got a single goal in the entire tournament until that lucky bounce, and even then they had Tolvanen as an extra attacker. There was absolutely no explanation whatsoever for him to keep the only productive line's TOI down in the USA game, just none. Yet none of the three guys even broke 15 minute barrier in that game. I simply fail to see what exactly is it so great that he is doing. 3 goals in 2 games? That's abysmal, considering the depth that he has in hands. His strategy is bad and doesn't fit into the small rinks at all. Instead of fast tempo north-south game we're stuck with guys playing old fashioned European style hockey where the results speak for themselves and by that I'm not referring to our position in the Semi-Finals. We are just extremely lucky to have made it there and also very fortunate for Luukkonen to have a great game when it mattered.

Reactions: behemolari

julkki

Oct 27, 2015
And how many times did Heponiemi or Kupari tried to challenge players and lost pucks? Which line has spent the most time just trying to figure out a way out of their own zone? Also how many scoring chances did Tolvanen actually have until he finally got lucky with the pool-shot? There's a lot to hockey and the Canada game certainly wasn't Kakko's best game in the tournament, but saying he didn't deserve more ice time certainly was anything but warranted. He had been playing better than anyone of the formerly mentioned before this game. Also it is quite hard to find and get the right rhytmn when you don't get consistent ice time. Ask any player. With that said, no one was even insinuating about Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi kind of impact in regards to Kakko and Lundell, that's just a product of your own vivid imagination.

What a hell, Tolvanen had at least 2 a-grade scoring chances in the second period.

From 2:29 ->

And I find it quite hilarious that you speak about vivid imagination when I watch some of your utopian worship of certain Finnish players..

king89

Dec 4, 2018

Ahokas was pushing a line to score a goal that hadn't got a single goal in the entire tournament until that lucky bounce, and even then they had Tolvanen as an extra attacker. There was absolutely no explanation whatsoever for him to keep the only productive line's TOI down in the USA game, just none. Yet none of the three guys even broke 15 minute barrier in that game. I simply fail to see what exactly is it so great that he is doing. 3 goals in 2 games? That's abysmal, considering the depth that he has in hands. His strategy is bad and doesn't fit into the small rinks at all. Instead of fast tempo north-south game we're stuck with guys playing old fashioned European style hockey where the results speak for themselves and by that I'm not referring to our position in the Semi-Finals. We are just extremely lucky to have made it there and also very fortunate for Luukkonen to have a great game when it mattered.

And how many times did Heponiemi or Kupari tried to challenge players and lost pucks?
-Not as much as Kakko, and that is understandable. Kid is 17.

Ahokas was pushing a line to score a goal that hadn't got a single goal in the entire tournament
-Wrong, they scored against Kazakstan, Slovakia and now Kanada. Thats is not good enough but thats more then what you stated.

We are just extremely lucky to have made it there and also very fortunate for Luukkonen to have a great game when it mattered.
-Your'e dumb or an extreme pessimist if you think thats the only two reasons why we are in the semifinals.

Juniors especially needs to be allowed to fail so they can learn from it and become better, remember that everyone.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Much as I like Kakko, this year it's the older players like Tolvanen, Kupari, Talvitie, Heponiemi's etc time to carry the torch. The older players really must step up their game if Finland is to achieve anything in this tournament.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Much as I like Kakko, this year it's the older players like Tolvanen, Kupari, Talvitie, Heponiemi's etc time to carry the torch. The older players really must step up their game if Finland is to achieve anything in this tournament.
Exactly, and thats way Ahokas give them more ice time then Kakko & Lundell.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Team with capital T. I had a feeling that this is the year when NA rink curse ends, and the boys comes home with medals on their necks. Beating Team Canada in Canada was already huge and they still gotta chance to make it even bigger by winning the gold. Don't stop the music now. Kerran vielä pojat!

YEAH, Lets GO!

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Team with capital T. I had a feeling that this is the year when NA rink curse ends, and the boys comes home with medals on their necks. Beating Team Canada in Canada was already huge and they still gotta chance to make it even bigger by winning the gold. Don't stop the music now. Kerran vielä pojat!

Winning team Canada in Canada (twice) is enough for me, not expecting anything more than that. I value that even more than gold medal but that's just me

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Good point. As a coach you kinda have to let the top guys take more responsibility. You either win or lose with them, and it's up to Kakko and co. to provide the secondary scoring.

2016 was a real anomaly in terms of a team being carried by 17-18 year old kids. Doesn't happen that often.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Good point. As a coach you kinda have to let the top guys take more responsibility. You either win or lose with them, and it's up to Kakko and co. to provide the secondary scoring.

2016 was a real anomaly in terms of a team being carried by 17-18 year old kids. Doesn't happen that often.

I miss 2016 so much it hurts, scoring from everywhere

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Hey guys, funny thing! 2014 I got my girlfriend to watch the quarterfinals,semifinal and final WITH me. And she loved it. Finland got gold, after that she just didnt want to watch, untill this game against Canada. I told her about 2014, and that she had to watch this last couple of minutes of the game. And finland got such a lucky goal its actually insane and won the game. SO I have told her she gotta watch the game tonight. But she is not sure... Give a like if you think she should watch xD

anfieldo

Feb 16, 2014
Hey guys, funny thing! 2014 I got my girlfriend to watch the quarterfinals,semifinal and final WITH me. And she loved it. Finland got gold, after that she just didnt want to watch, untill this game against Canada. I told her about 2014, and that she had to watch this last couple of minutes of the game. And finland got such a lucky goal its actually insane and won the game. SO I have told her she gotta watch the game tonight. But she is not sure... Give a like if you think she should watch xD

I give. I'm tired of smoke as lokomotiv every Finland game.:)

Reactions: fr9dd9

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Whats happening... 7-8 minutes and 4 goals. Looking Good! I love it! Keep going!

Edit: Heponiemi is great, but I have seen him stay on the ice With The 2nd line while hes line mates changed so many times this tournament I feel like IF I where kakko. Being hes draft year and all, I would feel super fkn pissed. Sitting there on the bench with hes line out there.. With Heponiemi... Seriously like wtf..

And yes I know, even if it is a team game when you want to be the best and get drafted #1 as kakko said himself, you dont want a guy from the line before you staying out there every single shift. Eventually it gets to your head, and its been like that The whole tourament.

Last edited:

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Finally a good start! Solid defence, quicker transitions, straightforward offence, quicker and higher quality passing and opening up lanes on the PP for shots and cross-ice passes. After they took a solid lead they started overpassing a bit though and Ahokas probably should have pulled a Kovalev on Heponiemi in the 3rd, can't afford those 2 minute shifts in the final.

As criticised as Ahokas was in the beginning of the tournament (and rightly so) he has reacted appropriately with line construction and matching (for the most part), as well as tactically. They crossed the neutral zone with more speed, had better puck support and drove to the net on their rushes. No more cross the blue line and put on the brakes. On the cycle they created shooting lanes and went for rebounds more effectively.

The top line finally seems in sync. Talvitie really makes the line click in a way Tolvanen couldn't. Heponiemi is basically worthless without the puck, can't win a puck battle to save his life, but has skill and vision to find lanes and open players when cycling and did finally start driving to the net for rebounds. Kupari was great, used his speed and puck handling to drive to the net or opening up someone else for a shot. Somehow reminds me a bit of Duchene out there.

The second line has had difficult time getting in a rhythm when Heponiemi stays out for half of their shift. Tolvanen has been great the past two games, but Lundell looks like he's half a step behind the play most of the time

Bottom two lines are fine, with Ylönen standing out.

On D Vaakanainen looks like a 30 year old veteran out there, no panic in his game whatsoever, doesn't quite have the skills or vision of Jokiharju (who I think has been slightly better, but your mileage may vary), but his pinches in the offensive and neutral zones are a sight to behold. Utunen has been fine, about what you'd expect from a 18 year old defender in this tournament. Solid, the occasional hiccup and provides an outlet for his partner. Laaksonen has played with more risk, mostly it has worked out, still feel bit nervous when he starts dangling around forecheckers as the last man back, but hasn't really resulted in anything bad yet. Honka and Latvala could be shot into the sun for all I care. Honka makes errant passes when under the slightest pressure, great skills with the puck, but slows the transition when the forwards have to stop at the blue line when he gets going. Latvala just keeps losing the puck in his feet and failing to clear the front of the net.

Overall I feel good about the team 5v5, I'd still say we're an underdog in the final due to special teams.

Reactions: CLW and Hokinaittii

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
As a Swede i just hate that Finland is in the final and i should cheer for USA. I cant because Finland deserves gold this time. But if this was the real worlds i would not care about what Finland deserved or not. With that said, go get that gold Finland!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad