WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Why? From what I remember, Marjamäki was supposed to be the reason why all our NHLers decline, while Jalonen is the guy who draws NHLers like the scent of Miss Finland's pu... perfume. Has that changed? Did I miss a memo or something?
Very valid point but to be honest, even though Jalonen has Finland's D team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get better results than Marjamäki (4th and 5th place). He doesn't make me nervous like LM.

Reactions: mattihp

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Very valid point but to be honest, even though Jalonen has Finland's D team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get better results than Marjamäki (4th and 5th place). He doesn't make me nervous like LM.
No argument. This squad may end up looking really underwhelming, but at least we have a coach who knows how to get everything out of an underwhelming team.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
No argument. This squad may end up looking really underwhelming, but at least we have a coach who knows how to get everything out of an underwhelming team.
Nothing to lose mentality! Want to see a young and fast team. Go all out like Jarmo K!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
great to see "Joker" Jokiharju on the team. he played very strong in the early part of the season when he was paired with Duncan Keith - seems he got his confidence back up and logged some heavy minutes for Rockford in their stretch drive. hoping he has a strong and healthy tournament, looking forward to him back in our top 4 next year with the Hawks.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I must say though, even if it looks grim now, this does not mean having a complete dud of a team is a certainty. There are still a bunch of players overseas who could reasonably join.

Pittsburgh ended its season last night, so I really doubt Määttä and Riikola are among those players who have already declined. Lehtinen hasn't probably even called 'em yet.

Then we have Dallas vs. Nashville, and either way it goes, it could give us either Heiskanen & Hintz or Saros & Salomäki (MiG just had a kid and Rinne is old and has played a ton).

Winnipeg vs. St. Louis could go either way, but if the Jets bow out, Niku is a possible addition.

Finally, there's Washington vs. Carolina. Teräväinen is the main prize here if the Caps prevail. I also wouldn't write Mäenalanen off despite being contractless.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So because of contracts we will not get Donskoi, Aho, Laine, Rantanen, Mäenalanen and Lindell.

Hintz, Heiskanen and Teräväinen are our only hopes (also Määttä & Riikola). It will be a weak team even if we get those guys.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So because of contracts we will not get Donskoi, Aho, Laine, Rantanen, Mäenalanen and Lindell.

Hintz, Heiskanen and Teräväinen are our only hopes (also Määttä & Riikola). It will be a weak team even if we get those guys.
Mäenalanen's situation is a little like Riikola's. A bubble player looking to raise his stock. Okay, maybe a no is a little more likely since he's actually in the lineup now.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If you ask me, that's a hack Iltis writer making hasty conclusions from the vaguely worded Liitto statement. Yes, it means no players who didn't make it to the playoffs will join, but the Pens bowed out just last night. No way Lehtinen has heard anything from them yet, since even their exit interviews are still pending.

Of course, this doesn't mean the ultimate answer still won't be no.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
If you ask me, that's a hack Iltis writer making hasty conclusions from the vaguely worded Liitto statement. Yes, it means no players who didn't make it to the playoffs will join, but the Pens bowed out just last night. No way Lehtinen has heard anything from them yet, since even their exit interviews are still pending.

Of course, this doesn't mean the ultimate answer still won't be no.
True. Seems off to me as well. Would be nice to get Määttä and Riikola.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
like some others have said.. Just take the u20 team and make history, Tbh I wouldnt mind at all. Send a halfcrap team or the best possible u20, would be intressting for sure

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
like some others have said.. Just take the u20 team and make history, Tbh I wouldnt mind at all. Send a halfcrap team or the best possible u20, would be intressting for sure

I think positive this case.
Finland will get weak or very weak team to IIHF men's worlds this year

Meanwhile Sweden will have NHL roster and very good chances to win 3rd straight IIHF' men's worlds gold medal.
Sweden is number 1 favorite to gold this year and USA is other favorite.

Sorry off topic.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
I think positive this case.
Finland will get weak or very weak team to IIHF men's worlds this year

Meanwhile Sweden will have NHL roster and very good chances to win 3rd straight IIHF' men's worlds gold medal.
Sweden is number 1 favorite to gold this year and USA is other favorite.

Sorry off topic.
Are you swede? ;)

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
I allways was fan of finland in matches against Sweden in history of WC, but last few years i m opposit. Becouse Sweden players are much more patriotic then finnish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad