WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Why should metsola Not come?
If Nashville get eliminated i think saros will come sure if they want him. Rinne is also possible, but in case for saros he could also decline

Well he declined last year too. Though he was at olympics. Not that uncommon for our KHL "stars" to decline. I would guess he would need to see clear signss that he would be starting goalie to come. But that just my speculation.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
There is zero reason to celebrate Koskinen's declination. Those who do have really short memories. He's proven himself and would have done just fine as a starter.

In the absence of an NHL goalie, I think Vehviläinen is going to get the starter nod. He's been phenomenal on EHT.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah. Was thinking the same thing.

I agree. Some will come as usual. Bit worried about the goalie situations and the fact that the usual suspects (Aho, Rantanen and Granlund) are in playoffs. We might be thin in difference makers.
Aho,Rantanen(Contracts)?

Reactions: Sanf

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Watching our WJC quaterfinal again, such a great game. Easily the best in that tournament. Still cant believe we won gold :)

Reactions: Mestaruus

monkaS

Apr 12, 2019
judging from these denmark games, Kaski is braindead. holy shit what a bad player

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Does anybody know if Patrik Laine comes if he should be eliminated in the NHL Playoffs? He is 2-0 behind with his team.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
It's pretty silent here. Im not surprised as there is not much to discuss about. No one has said ''yes'' yet :help:. Barkov and Borgström have said they need some time to think. :D

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It's always a lot slower for us than the other countries. Frustrating. Why would they do this to us every single year?!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
any chance for melart? he could bring some grit. with kukkonen and väänanen gone there is lack of grit in the backend.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
It's always a lot slower for us than the other countries. Frustrating. Why would they do this to us every single year?!

Finns heat slowly, but when they have the right gear on they srsly get going and coming :DD.

Barkov wuld be hell of an addition to our team.

Stars-Preds are interesting serie to follow either when it comes to reinforcements (especially Hintz and Heiskanen) and why not Caps-Canes aswell (Teräväinen).

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
He can be the captain as well if he is to join. That will probably be followed up him captaining our World Cup or Olympic teams in the future as well.
Yeah i think he'll inherit the captaincy from Koivus family. Logical choice, Aho and Rantanen as vice-captains :thumbu:

On topic: Previously it felt like Finns, Russians and maybe Czechs/Slovakians were the only one's (from the big countries) to take this tournament seriously. Seriously as in best players were always ready and you could count on them coming to play. Now it feels like NA and especially Swedes are sending better and better teams to WHC.

You can't do nothing about contract negotiations, but as an example: Everyone knew Risto isn't coming before he announced his decision. Nowadays you are surprised if good players available are coming.

I feel that if guys like Barkov, Rantanen or Aho announces immediately after their team is eliminated from the playoffs, that they are coming/are willing to come if they stay healthy would send a signal to others to join in. I'm not mad at them for not joining, they have every right to decline, but at this point we know that most of the reasons for declining are not due to injuries. It's not a good trend.

Or maybe it's just me :huh:

Reactions: fr9dd9

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah i think he'll inherit the captaincy from Koivus family. Logical choice, Aho and Rantanen as vice-captains :thumbu:

On topic: Previously it felt like Finns, Russians and maybe Czechs/Slovakians were the only one's (from the big countries) to take this tournament seriously. Seriously as in best players were always ready and you could count on them coming to play. Now it feels like NA and especially Swedes are sending better and better teams to WHC.

You can't do nothing about contract negotiations, but as an example: Everyone knew Risto isn't coming before he announced his decision. Nowadays you are surprised if good players available are coming.

I feel that if guys like Barkov, Rantanen or Aho announces immediately after their team is eliminated from the playoffs, that they are coming/are willing to come if they stay healthy would send a signal to others to join in. I'm not mad at them for not joining, they have every right to decline, but at this point we know that most of the reasons for declining are not due to injuries. It's not a good trend.

Or maybe it's just me :huh:

Would indeed be nice to have one big star announcing that he is joining early. Though it's understandable there aren't many available currently.

Patrick Kane just announced that he'll join team USA. That's a nice signal for other USA's star players to follow.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll hear quite soon that Barkov is coming.

Next years will be much more fun when Aho, Rantanen, Lindell and maybe Laine (might be a shorter bridge deal) have signed 6+ years contracts unless Laine is going to December ala William Nylander. So I think next year we'll get that magnet effect where we'll get a lot of our big names coming who aren't locked in the playoffs nor injured.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Pittsburgh got eliminated 1st round in NHL playoffs.
Does Finland have any chances to get Määttä or Riikola or both to world championships team.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Määttä is healthy, has a long-running and lucrative contract, and he was scratched from the last two playoff games. So he seems like a true "all the celestial bodies are properly aligned" case.

Riikola doesn't have a contract, but he was on a cheap single-year "tryout", so it might translate to a case looking to raise his stock.

To sum up, I don't see any instantly obvious reason for either of them to say no, but of course that doesn't mean they won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad