WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

LemurFromTheId

Feb 21, 2014
Yikes bad decision

From an American perspective yes, because for them team = roster. But Jalonen thinks differently, and has quite a bit of success with that even in this tournament already. And Finland will never win - and never has won - anything with roster alone. This is a team of players who know each other, who know how to play together, and who trust and respect their coach because he doesn't give them a big FU by sending them home because someone better is coming to replace them.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
From an American perspective yes, because for them team = roster. But Jalonen thinks differently, and has quite a bit of success with that even in this tournament already. And Finland will never win - and never has won - anything with roster alone. This is a team of players who know each other, who know how to play together, and who trust and respect their coach because he doesn't give them a big FU by sending them home because someone better is coming to replace them.
But it is enough for K.O. Stage? Vs Swiss,Czech or Swedes(I think Russia is going 1st) could players like Aho and TT very usefull.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Sweden has added NHLers last two tournaments and it hasnt hurt them.

LemurFromTheId

Feb 21, 2014
But it is enough for K.O. Stage? Vs Swiss,Czech or Swedes(I think Russia is going 1st) could players like Aho and TT very usefull.

A good question, and I don't think anyone really has an answer. In the past the late arrivals have sometimes been helpful, and sometimes not.

At least we don't have to keep quessing and speculating anymore on whether they're coming or not, and that helps the team to solidify and focus on the tournament itself. And it's not at all given that Aho and TT would come - and perform well - even if they became available.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
So, what countries do you wanna play against in the quarters? If we qualify that is. I want to see Sweden or Switzerland. I think it would be good to be a clear underdog and there for play against Sweden. Russia has been the best team offensively and the Czechs and Slovaks are much tougher on home soil than people expect. Yep, i prefer Sweden with a great D before the Czechs.

Hey, it's WHC in Bratislava (and Kosice, yes). So the final is Fin-Swe and we also know the result beforehand :DD

Rauski85

May 15, 2019
A good question, and I don't think anyone really has an answer. In the past the late arrivals have sometimes been helpful, and sometimes not.

My favorite was back in 2001 when Aki Berg arrived in the semi-final stage to "help" the team, in the final he was 2 meters late twice and rest is history.

Reactions: LemurFromTheId

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
i am so impressed not only by this finnish team here, but their general model and development / product at all levels the last few years. part of it is certainly cyclical, all of the major countries have age group clusters that are differential to the mean. but the group of kids lately have been so impressive, not just skill wise but the winning mentality / attention to detail and work ethic is so impressive. just want to give a hat tip, it's awesome to see

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
My favorite was back in 2001 when Aki Berg arrived in the semi-final stage to "help" the team, in the final he was 2 meters late twice and rest is history.
Sihvonen's pass to the czechs was what clinched in that game... Growing up here in Sweden even swedes rooted for us that year...

Joni Salminen

May 16, 2019
Im just happy that this finnish team has Been Playing this awesome .
Im really inpressed! And as a finn living in sweden , even my swedish colleagues are saying that this finnish team really plays good for being a team without nhl players.
Many of my friends are rooting for Finland when sweden is not playing against them

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad