WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Don't really understand why Luostarinen gets so little icetime, clearly the best center we have besides Manninen.

Hopefully Lammikko can play in the playoff games, Ilomäki is useless. No idea how he even made the team over Ruotsalainen.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Kakko is our lord and saviour. Please our lord take us as far as you (mighty) can.

Too far? o_O

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Luostarinen could end up as a center for Teräväinen in the future? Otherwise for Saarela and Mäenalanen or Kuokkanen. Canes will be such a joy for Finns to follow.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Russia, Czechs or Switzerland. No Sweden.

Agreed, avoid Sweden in the QF at all costs. They will just beat our team by 1 goal margin in a boring fashion. However I would be completely fine facing Sweden in a semifinal game or in the final, I think Finland would have a better shot at beating them in those games for some reason.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Sweden has added NHLers last two tournaments and it hasnt hurt them.

Sweden has been full of NHL players the past couple years and this year.
Adding a couple NHL stars to the roster of Finnish jorneymen and a child could backfire. I think Jalonen made the right choice in this years perspective. The team has genuine spirit and they've trained together for several weeks. It really is a TEAM.

Reactions: Stubu

Merya

Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Sihvonen's pass to the czechs was what clinched in that game... Growing up here in Sweden even swedes rooted for us that year...

I thought Swedes usually cheer for Finland in neutral games. Same way as I cheer for Sweden usually, except last year when I really wanted Switzerland to do the upset win.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I thought Swedes usually cheer for Finland in neutral games. Same way as I cheer for Sweden usually, except last year when I really wanted Switzerland to do the upset win.
That sounds like bullshit to me.

Edit: As in you may cheer for SWE, Finns generally do not.

Last edited:

Merya

Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
The comment about cheering for SWE is only you, so guess I'm wrong there. I read your comment wrong - Finns generally definitely do not cheer for SWE ever. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

Yes I was speaking only for myself. But it's not that rare either. I guess you're not originally from Helsinki? ;)
I cheer for Sweden when they play against Russia, USA or Canada.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Yes I was speaking only for myself. But it's not that rare either. I guess you're not originally from Helsinki? ;)
Yeah, really far from Vantaa - can't believe it took me 15 min to get there to heart of Helsinki.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
:laugh::rolleyes::laugh:

Growing up in Sweden I can refute this directly. Most often they just try to find things to put finns down with... There are exceptions of course but even the guys who somewhat like to see finnish success will still never miss a chance to embellish some finnish mistake...

thestudent

May 10, 2011
Sweden has been full of NHL players the past couple years and this year.
Adding a couple NHL stars to the roster of Finnish jorneymen and a child could backfire. I think Jalonen made the right choice in this years perspective. The team has genuine spirit and they've trained together for several weeks. It really is a TEAM.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid. Reality tends to come back fast and hard, especially during the QF. Finland does not have the talent to beat the USA, Canada, Russia, or Sweden

Reactions: Star Ocean

Zanstrat

May 15, 2019
Haven’t been able to watch any games unfortunately, but how is Kaski looking? I’m a Wings fan so interested to see if people think he can make the NHL immediately
Kaski has been a disappointment for me so far. He's in trouble with the puck, which was unheard of in Liiga. His strengths are not in the defensive end, but he has managed that part of the game decently. Doubt he's NHL-ready come next season.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Kaski has been a disappointment for me so far. He's in trouble with the puck, which was unheard of in Liiga. His strengths are not in the defensive end, but he has managed that part of the game decently. Doubt he's NHL-ready come next season.
In this world champs he looks abit like Tom Koivisto.

Looks fine in his positioning defensively. Until the puck comes close to him..

He's been alright though.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
We have had some good teams who have struggled to clinch a place in the quarterfinal but I believe we have clinched it already with this team. I don't want to count it, but Slovakia can't go ahead of us and Denmark will play against Canada, Slovakia and USA and they won't get 9 points from those three games.

I am terrified of the quarterfinal game already though.. every opponent will be very difficult.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Keep drinking the Kool Aid. Reality tends to come back fast and hard, especially during the QF. Finland does not have the talent to beat the USA, Canada, Russia, or Sweden
Good exremly hard working(+Kakko) beats talent.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
We have had some good teams who have struggled to clinch a place in the quarterfinal but I believe we have clinched it already with this team. I don't want to count it, but Slovakia can't go ahead of us and Denmark will play against Canada, Slovakia and USA and they won't get 9 points from those three games.

I am terrified of the quarterfinal game already though.. every opponent will be very difficult.
I'm hoping for Schweiz, i think they suits us the most.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's a mathematical clinch already. We're in. Did you forget that Canada and USA still play against each other? So if Denmark somehow gets nine points out of the remaining games, both Canada and USA can't get past 13. And if both get three point wins from their other remaining game and then USA beats Canada in OT, all Finland, Canada and USA would have 13 (if we lose the rest), creating a three-way tie which would be broken up by the points accrued against each other. Finland would have 4 points, USA would have 4, Canada would have 1.

In any other scenario, one of them would fall short of 13 in the miraculous event that Denmark performs a sky-rocket rally.

A three-way tie between FIN/DEN/USA or FIN/DEN/CAN is also possible, but in the former event Finland would have 4 points (out of maximum of 6 available), and in the latter 6, meaning Finland can't land at the bottom of the tie in those scenarios either.

Edit: A four-way tie between FIN/DEN/USA/CAN is also possible, but FIN would have 7 points in such a scenario (out of maximum of 9), and again could not finish at the bottom.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It's a mathematical clinch already. We're in. Did you forget that Canada and USA still play against each other? So if Denmark somehow gets nine points out of the remaining games, both Canada and USA can't get past 13. And if both get three point wins from their other remaining game and then USA beats Canada in OT, all Finland, Canada and USA would have 13 (if we lose the rest), creating a three-way tie which would be broken up by the points accrued against each other. Finland would have 4 points, USA would have 4, Canada would have 1.

In any other scenario, one of them would fall short of 13 in the miraculous event that Denmark performs a sky-rocket rally.

A three-way tie between FIN/DEN/USA or FIN/DEN/CAN is also possible, but in the former event Finland would have 4 points (out of maximum of 9 available), and in the latter 6, meaning Finland can't land in the bottom of the tie in those scenarios either.
Yeah I forget they play against each other. And just like I said, I didn't do the math. Thanks for you doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad