WC: Team Denmark 2019 roster talk

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Really? Like it was yesterday when I read about him in ProHockey that he belongs between the best young NHL prospects. Together with Mikkel Boedker.

Btw, what do you think about upcoming WC? Will Denmark surprise a hockey world with some upsets?

I dont see any upsets this year, but you never know with Denmark. When the top players are missing, the best of the euro players needs to step up and some of our best results have actually occured when only a couple of our top players have been available. If we played USA in the first game that might have been an opportunity as USA always starts slow.

Reactions: stastny12

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
A lot depends on having Ehlers, Eller, True and Russell hold some of the lesser experienced younger guys and the Morten Madsen-types of players off the roster.

In the offense, veterans like Bødker, Regin, N.Jensen and Storm need to step up their game. It will be interesting to watch the talented young trio Blichfeld, From and Røndbjerg.

Compared to the top teams, the defense is below average, but that's nothing new. Also, Team Germany, Team France & Team Great Britain don't impress either with their defenders. At least everyone's there, including veteran Markus Lauridsen. Also, both Bruggisser and Nicholas B. Jensen had good seasons offensively in the DEL - they are capable to drill one in from the blue line.

In goal, the team has a quite decent duo with Dahm&Galbraith, who are better than the goalies of Team France and Team Great Britain. I thought it was a good idea to not nominate backup George Sørensen, as he's just too small for a goaltender.

I doubt this team will be able to surprise any of the bigger nations USA, Finland, Canada, including the Slovaks on home ice, but they'll stay in the A-group.

Our blueline might look weak on paper, but I actually thinks it is quite good, with a lot of upcoming talent. A guy like Oliver Larsen has taken huge steps this season and both Bruggisser and Nicholas Jensen has had very good seasons in Germany. Malte Setkov I am a bit more uncertain off, but he has signed with Malmö Redhawks for the coming season, so he cant have been bad.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Our blueline might look weak on paper, but I actually thinks it is quite good, with a lot of upcoming talent. A guy like Oliver Larsen has taken huge steps this season and both Bruggisser and Nicholas Jensen has had very good seasons in Germany. Malte Setkov I am a bit more uncertain off, but he has signed with Malmö Redhawks for the coming season, so he cant have been bad.

He is a good player, Setkov. I think he will be SHL-regular the upcoming season.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Malte Setkov I am a bit more uncertain off, but he has signed with Malmö Redhawks for the coming season, so he cant have been bad.

If I'm not mistaken, that is not a new contract. It was signed last year, or perhaps even longer ago. So unless I remember this wrong, it really doesn't say too much about how they feel about his performance this past season.

It has to worry a little, that they already have 8 or 9 other defensemen signed as well. Hopefully Setkov will make that cut, but it also might be another loan to Pantern or elsewhere. Maybe even a contract broken on common ground if he finds it would be better to start up somewhere else. In AHL/ECHL for instance? I think he can make the cut in Malmö, but I just wouldn't be entirely certain he stays there.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The team that will play 2 games vs Austria, this is pretty much the WC squad.

Pos.NameDOBHWShootsClub Team
GKSebastian Dahm28-02-8718280LIserlohn Roosters (GER)
GKPatrick Galbraith11-03-8618381LSønderjyskE
GKSimon Nielsen27-10-8618881LHerning Blue Fox
DPhillip Bruggisser07-08-9118385RKrefeld Penguine (GER)
DMatias Lassen15-03-9618282LMalmo Red Hawks (SWE)
DOliver Larsen25-02-9819094RIK Pantern (SWE)
DStefan Lassen01-11-9519090LAlmtuna IS (SWE)
DNicholas B. Jensen08-04-89189102LFischtown Penguins (GER)
DOliver Lauridsen24-03-89197108LJokerit Helsinki (FIN)
DMarkus Lauridsen28-02-9118793LHV71 (SWE)
DJesper Jensen Aabo30-07-9118382LJokerit Helsinki (FIN)
FMorten Madsen16-01-8718995LTimrå (SWE)
FNicolai Meyer21-07-9318382LSödertalje (SWE)
FNick Olesen14-11-9518584LIK Pantern (SWE)
FNicklas Jensen06-03-9319198LJokerit Helsinki (FIN)
FMikkel Bødker16-12-8918595LOttawa Senators (CAN)
FPeter Regin16-04-8618790LJokerit Helsinki (FIN)
FJoachim Blichfeld17-07-9818785RPortland Winterhawks (USA)
FMathias Bau03-07-93200108LHershey Bears (USA)
FFrederik Storm20-02-8918086LMalmö Redhawks (SWE)
FMathias From16-12-9718685RAIK (SWE)
FMorten Poulsen09-09-8818695LHerning Blue Fox
FJonas Røndbjerg31-03-9918888LVäxjö Lakers (SWE)
FJesper Jensen05-02-8718380LSkellefteå (SWE)
FJulian Jakobsen11-04-8718487LAalborg Pirates
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

How on earth can Simon Nielsen have a spot, he is terrible. Dahm and Galbraith will battle.

Stefan Lassen? Why? Setkov is better.

Jesper Jensen Aabo - Oliver Lauridsen
Markus Lauridsen - Matias Lassen
Nicholas B .Jensen - Phillip Bruggisser
Stefan Lassen - Oliver Larsen

Mikkel Bodker - Peter Regin - Nicklas Jensen
Frederik Storm - Jesper Jensen - Nicolai Meyer
Nick Olesen - Jonas Røndbjerg - Mathias Bau
Morten Madsen - Julian Jakobsen - Morten Poulsen
Mathias From, Joachim Blichfeld

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
How on earth can Simon Nielsen have a spot, he is terrible. Dahm and Galbraith will battle.

Dont think Setkov is better than Lassen to be honest. Lassen has been on top pairing the last few championships and brings that experience with him.

Blichfeld should get a spot in your four lines. He was quite good against Norway.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Dont think Setkov is better than Lassen to be honest. Lassen has been on top pairing the last few championships and brings that experience with him.

Blichfeld should get a spot in your four lines. He was quite good against Norway.

I've seen Stefan Lassen during several exhibition matches before last year's WHC. He's god-awful tbh, making easy mistakes on the defensive zone breakout. :help:
That he's still making the team tells you everything about Denmark's depth on defense ...
... not saying you haven't okay defenders with the Lauridsen bros, Jensen, Jensen-Aabo and Bruggisser.

Ropetow

Apr 25, 2019
Any updates on roster decisions?
Any hope left for Ehlers? Eller?

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Any updates on roster decisions?
Any hope left for Ehlers? Eller?

Apparently both of them played with injuries during the playoffs, so I would assume the team doctors would have to clear them before going anywhere. I dont have any hopes in seing them this year though.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
hopefully ehlers and eller clears the medical and cbj kicked out. Whats the word on Russell and True?

Ehlers - Eller - O.Bjorkstrand
Bodker - Regin - N.Jensen
Russell - True - Bau
Storm - J.Jensen - Meyer
Olesen, From

king89

Dec 4, 2018
The team that will play 2 games vs Austria, this is pretty much the WC squad.

Pos.NameDOBHWShootsClub Team
GKSebastian Dahm28-02-8718280LIserlohn Roosters (GER)
GKPatrick Galbraith11-03-8618381LSønderjyskE
GKSimon Nielsen27-10-8618881LHerning Blue Fox
DPhillip Bruggisser07-08-9118385RKrefeld Penguine (GER)
DMatias Lassen15-03-9618282LMalmo Red Hawks (SWE)
DOliver Larsen25-02-9819094RIK Pantern (SWE)
DStefan Lassen01-11-9519090LAlmtuna IS (SWE)
DNicholas B. Jensen08-04-89189102LFischtown Penguins (GER)
DOliver Lauridsen24-03-89197108LJokerit Helsinki (FIN)
DMarkus Lauridsen28-02-9118793LHV71 (SWE)
DJesper Jensen Aabo30-07-9118382LJokerit Helsinki (FIN)
FMorten Madsen16-01-8718995LTimrå (SWE)
FNicolai Meyer21-07-9318382LSödertalje (SWE)
FNick Olesen14-11-9518584LIK Pantern (SWE)
FNicklas Jensen06-03-9319198LJokerit Helsinki (FIN)
FMikkel Bødker16-12-8918595LOttawa Senators (CAN)
FPeter Regin16-04-8618790LJokerit Helsinki (FIN)
FJoachim Blichfeld17-07-9818785RPortland Winterhawks (USA)
FMathias Bau03-07-93200108LHershey Bears (USA)
FFrederik Storm20-02-8918086LMalmö Redhawks (SWE)
FMathias From16-12-9718685RAIK (SWE)
FMorten Poulsen09-09-8818695LHerning Blue Fox
FJonas Røndbjerg31-03-9918888LVäxjö Lakers (SWE)
FJesper Jensen05-02-8718380LSkellefteå (SWE)
FJulian Jakobsen11-04-8718487LAalborg Pirates
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ditch Madsen and play Blichfeld instead, Madsen is beyond awful.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
hopefully ehlers and eller clears the medical and cbj kicked out. Whats the word on Russell and True?

True will definitely depend on San Jose Sharks. One centerman injured and True might get his debute. He is pretty close to nailing a spot in the NHL and has been for the entire season. Sharks just managed to dodge the bullet on a bunch of simultaneous injuries on the forward position. He should have a good chance of getting some games next season. Perhaps he'll even crack the NHL permanently, but we'll see about that when and if that time comes. It's a difficult jump after all.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Apparently both of them played with injuries during the playoffs, so I would assume the team doctors would have to clear them before going anywhere. I dont have any hopes in seing them this year though.

If Nikolaj Ehlers was allowed by WPG to play with that fracture in the leg during the playoffs, than it must have been really minor and absolutely stable. Realistic chance to clear the medical checkup 3-4 weeks after the incident, if you ask me.

oksun

Jan 2, 2013

Ropetow

Apr 25, 2019
We got Eller! Now fingers crossed for Nicolaj...

Would love to get Bjorkstrand too but CBJ is leading Bruins 2-1 in Round 2. Hard to root against them just to get Oliver.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Forwards are shaping up nicely.

How are the goaltenders for Denmark looking heading into this tournament? They will need to be solid, despite that decent KHL/SHL mix the Danes have on D.

Ropetow

Apr 25, 2019
How did we do against Austria?
Any update on Ehlers?
As I type Bruins are leading CBJ in game 6 of their playoff series. If they stay ahead and win the series Bjorkstrand will become available.
Has a final roster been posted?

Ropetow

Apr 25, 2019
Update: Bruins beat Columbus. Columbus eliminated.
Bjorkstrand is now available. I have no idea whether he has expressed an interest in playing...

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Heinz Ehlers' Team Denmark is set in defense & goal, but they still wait for serious offensive assets, which could help the team unload players like Madsen, Poulsen and Jacobsen, who no longer seem good enough to play WHC.

Nikolaj Ehlers (LW) -- status: available, very likely to join after medical clearance due to minor leg injury
Oliver Bjørkstrand (RW) -- status: available, has a contract with CBJ, unclear whether he's interested
Alexander 'black ace' True (C) -- status: on San Jose Sharks' depth chart in ongoing playoff series (3-3 vs. COL), part of the Ehlers family, will definitely join if not injured
Patrick Russell (RW) -- status: playing AHL playoffs, Bakersfield Condors trailing 0-2 in a best-of-5-series, will definitely join if not injured

With those guys on board I'd say the team has the potential to upset any team in group A apart from Team USA.

5 DAGE TIL VM: Status på Danmarks trup

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018

Ehlers - Eller - O.Bjorkstrand
Bodker - Regin - N.Jensen
Russell - True - Bau
Storm - J.Jensen - Meyer
Olesen, From

Nice lineup, @Eye of Ra - apart from the missing Blichfeld who will make the final roster unlike From, I'd say.
I'd try that, in case all of the missing quartet become available. In terms of chemistry, I'm sure Alexander True would also work fine with Ehlers & O. Bjørkstrand.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00