Team Canada Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
espion said:
Yes I will explain. But before I do, seriously you need to brush up on how past WJC team Canada teams are built before dismissing my post and saying I know nothing about hockey because of how I put 4 strong junior lines in a particular order.

As far as Bergeron on the checking line goes... Canada's checking lines at the WJC are an integral part of the team and are given huge responsibilities. They are not a "4th line" as you think but one of the 3 main lines on the team. It is always one of the 3 scoring lines that are anointed as the "4th line" and recieve a little less ice time. The checking line is often matched up in big games against the opponent's most dangerous trio. Considering that Bergeron is the most complete and defensively responsible forward on the team, it makes sense to give him checking responsibilities. The team will be stacked with Junior players who always think offense first (unlike Bergeron who is awfully conscious of both ends of the ice for a kjid his age). Also the checking line is counted on for a prime time role on the PK, a place where Bergeron will shine.

Now notice on my initial post that I never said

LINE 1: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
LINE 2: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
LINE 3: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
LINE 4: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

I just put up the 4 lines I think should be put together. Naturally one is on top of the other, but that doesn't mean I feel that the 1st one I list is the 1st line.

As you may or may not know, last year's team was very dominant (aside from the 3rd period of the fianls). Many players from last year are back and will becounted on to deliver. Since the top 2 offensive lines from last year are nearly all back, I think it makes sense to leave them together. Last year's 1st line was

Getzlaff-Carter-______

So I put them 1st on my list... because they were the 1st line last year. I added Horton there because he would fit on such a big power line. Makes sense no?

Last year's 2nd line dominated on the scoring sheet. I don't see why they should be broken up. That was the

Dawes-Richards-Stewart

line. I put them 2nd because they hapenned to be the 2nd line last year. Not because I think they should be given the 2nd most ice time. That is up to the coach's discretion, as you may know. I thought we were just naming the team herte and putting lines together.

That left me with the Crosby line. Given, that I put the OHL scoring leader (Perry) with him... And the WHL goal scoring leader with him (Fehr)... I don't think that it consists of a 3rd line. It is a damn dominant scoring line, just like the other 2. The coach can decide which to puit on 1st, I don't give a ****. They will all dominate. By the way, I listed Crosby's line 3rd because his was the 3rd scoring line last year. That's the only reason.

Are you satisfied oh great connaisseur of hockey? Does that make more sense now? Or are you going to label me again as not knowing anytrhing about hockey after reading one post that was simply 23 junior players paired up in lines? You know you should really getb to know someone before calling them idiots or whatever you called me.

As for Beauchemin... he is one of only 3 good players on Prince Albert. The other 2 are Collition and Chipchura whom you apparently approve of being on this team. If you watched Raiders games this year, you would know that the Raiders would be the 2nd worst team in the Dub this season if it wasn't for their star goalie.

Have a nice day :)
I very much apologize for the way that I wrote that message yesterday... Reading it now I realize it came across a LOT harsher than I meant it to be and for that I apologize... Bad day at work, too much stress, not enough sleep, and no NHL... it makes me cranky... :cry: I really didn't mean to call you out as an idiot and make it that harsh...

As for your explanation, I didn't realize that you weren't sorting the lines as 1 through 4... You mentioned that you didn't denote them as that but then again, nobody usually does but I've always felt that when they are put in that order, that the intent is there for them to be that way... Obviously that was just a misunderstanding... For Beauchemin, he's been off and on this year... I'm not discounting his chances of making the team... If it were me I would take Nastiuk and Dubnyk... But I have a feeling that Sutter will actually take Nastiuk and Beauchemin... My rant on your selection wasn't really as much that you took Beaucheim, as much as it was that you left Nastiuk off your list... I would LIKE to see Nastiuk and Dubnyk... I kind of EXPECT to see Nastiuk and Beauchemin... With the one playing the best at the end of camp being the starter (I fully expect that to be Nastiuk)...

Again, I'm sorry for coming off so harsh... The intent wasn't there to be such an ass about it... We can disagree... I was just shocked by what I thought were some of your decisions (Crosby on the 3rd, Bergeron on the 4th) when in actuality you weren't necessarily suggesting that's the icetime they'd get...

Can you please explain to me your inclusion of Shantz over Nastiuk though? At this point I'm still curious as to your reasoning on that....

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Patrice Bergeron - Sidney Crosby - Nathan Horton
Nigel Dawes - Jeff Carter - Anthony Stewart
Alexandre Picard - Mike Richards - Eric Fehr
Kyle Chipchura - Stephen Dixon - Corey Perry
extra: Ryan Getzlaf

Dion Phaneuf - Shea Weber
Brent Burns - Braydon Coburn
Danny Syvret - Brent Seabrook
Cameron Barker

Kevin Nastiuk
Devan Dubnyk

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:
Patrice Bergeron - Sidney Crosby - Nathan Horton
Nigel Dawes - Jeff Carter - Anthony Stewart
Alexandre Picard - Mike Richards - Eric Fehr
Kyle Chipchura - Stephen Dixon - Corey Perry
extra: Ryan Getzlaf

Dion Phaneuf - Shea Weber
Brent Burns - Braydon Coburn
Danny Syvret - Brent Seabrook
Cameron Barker

Kevin Nastiuk
Devan Dubnyk

Have you seen much WHL ??? .

I fairly certain I know the answer ..

Carter and Getzlaf where the #1 line at the WJC, while Mike Richards line the most productive ..

Yet NO WAY is Getzlaf the extra forward .. If Dixon was not a repeat customer I would question him making the team at all .. In fact Perry and his OHL points lead has yet to even think his spot is secure ..

back to the Drawing board for you ....

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
tgallant said:
I very much apologize for the way that I wrote that message yesterday... Reading it now I realize it came across a LOT harsher than I meant it to be and for that I apologize... Bad day at work, too much stress, not enough sleep, and no NHL... it makes me cranky... :cry: I really didn't mean to call you out as an idiot and make it that harsh...

As for your explanation, I didn't realize that you weren't sorting the lines as 1 through 4... You mentioned that you didn't denote them as that but then again, nobody usually does but I've always felt that when they are put in that order, that the intent is there for them to be that way... Obviously that was just a misunderstanding... For Beauchemin, he's been off and on this year... I'm not discounting his chances of making the team... If it were me I would take Nastiuk and Dubnyk... But I have a feeling that Sutter will actually take Nastiuk and Beauchemin... My rant on your selection wasn't really as much that you took Beaucheim, as much as it was that you left Nastiuk off your list... I would LIKE to see Nastiuk and Dubnyk... I kind of EXPECT to see Nastiuk and Beauchemin... With the one playing the best at the end of camp being the starter (I fully expect that to be Nastiuk)...

Again, I'm sorry for coming off so harsh... The intent wasn't there to be such an ass about it... We can disagree... I was just shocked by what I thought were some of your decisions (Crosby on the 3rd, Bergeron on the 4th) when in actuality you weren't necessarily suggesting that's the icetime they'd get...

Can you please explain to me your inclusion of Shantz over Nastiuk though? At this point I'm still curious as to your reasoning on that....

Shantz had a good camp and is considered a decent NHL prospect. Nastiuk doesn't have that clout. I feel that his stats are inflated by the guys playing in front of him. To tell you the truth, it wouldn't surprise me if Nastiuk doesn't even get an invite to camp. But who knows. The position is wide open and I don't feel THAT strongly about my goalie picks. Dubnyk and Nastiuk could very well make the team. Or Munce and Dubnyk is possible too.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Have you seen much WHL ??? .

I fairly certain I know the answer ..

Carter and Getzlaf where the #1 line at the WJC, while Mike Richards line the most productive ..

Yet NO WAY is Getzlaf the extra forward .. If Dixon was not a repeat customer I would question him making the team at all .. In fact Perry and his OHL points lead has yet to even think his spot is secure ..

back to the Drawing board for you ....

Getzlaf has done nothing this year to put him ahead of any player on my team.

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Here is my lineup

Bergeron Crosby Horton
Perry Carter Getzlaf
Stewart Richards Dawes
Bernier Dixon Fehr

Brule or Bourret

Defence in no particular order

Phaneuf, Coburn, Belle, Seabrook, Burns, Barker