WC: Team Canada Roster Thread 2021

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Good question. I've never heard of this guy Danforth but he put up decent #s in the KHL and is used to the big ice. He might be an asset.

Not any what you'd call household names among the NHLers, but I still really appreciate all of those guys answering the call and representing us in a tough year.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Dubé left the Flames’ last game of the season early after an awkward collision with Hamonic (I think) and was said to be in concussion protocol after the game. I haven’t read any news about him since yesterday, but there’s a chance his participation at Worlds is in jeopardy.

Mangiapane is flying to Latvia to join Team Canada today, and Dubé may or may not be with him.

Also, the Latvian Parliament is currently debating the possibility of allowing a small number of vaccinated/immune fans to attend the games.

Edit: Dubé confirmed out of the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBadBoar

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
Dubé left the Flames’ last game of the season early after an awkward collision with Hamonic (I think) and was said to be in concussion protocol after the game. I haven’t read any news about him since yesterday, but there’s a chance his participation at Worlds is in jeopardy.

Mangiapane is flying to Latvia to join Team Canada today, and Dubé may or may not be with him.

Also, the Latvian Parliament is currently debating the possibility of allowing a small number of vaccinated/immune fans to attend the games.

Crazy to get a injuries like that in a game that means nothing

Reactions: L13

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

So Canada is left with 12 forwards to dress for the tomorrow's game. Unless someone else gets injured.

Reactions: L13

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
According to the dreaded F@ceb00k Adam Henrique will wear the C, Colin Miller and Connor Brown will wear As.

I don't remember a Canadian team going into a worlds without a single pre-tournament game. Even in early 80s tournament, they were getting some game action before the tournament started. I would hate to start a tournament A) against the hosts B) short-staffed and C) having never played with each other. Tomorrow will be ... interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: MardyBum and L13

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
According to the dreaded F@ceb00k Adam Henrique will wear the C, Colin Miller and Connor Brown will wear As.

I don't remember a Canadian team going into a worlds without a single pre-tournament game. Even in early 80s tournament, they were getting some game action before the tournament started. I would hate to start a tournament A) against the hosts B) short-staffed and C) having never played with each other. Tomorrow will be ... interesting.

This Tournament is hurt by Corona, i don't understand why they don't quit it, i listen in Danish tv that the players cant leave the hotel between the games and they have arranged FIFA xbox tournament for just have something to do on the Hotel

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This Tournament is hurt by Corona, i don't understand why they don't quit it, i listen in Danish tv that the players cant leave the hotel between the games and they have arranged FIFA xbox tournament for just have something to do on the Hotel

It is definitely hurt by the COVID but I am glad they managed to organize at least something. Many stars/experienced players declined because they don't want to spend another 2 weeks in a bubble locked in their hotel rooms but this at the same time gives some less famous guys their opportunity to show up. Hopefully the next year will be "normal" again.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
E17JO8pVoAEGPRN

Reactions: Back in Black

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
This team should win against Latvia 10 out of 10 times. Its no excuse they are not the best players. Every single Canadian player has ties to the NHL. Actually pathetic they are down 2-0 right now.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Weak roster, no warm-up games,..1st game playing against host nation whose players probably know each other very well and have played together a lot. Canada won bronze at the 2018 Olympics with a roster no better than this, so Canada should be able to get that as well this year.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
This team should win against Latvia 10 out of 10 times. Its no excuse they are not the best players. Every single Canadian player has ties to the NHL. Actually pathetic they are down 2-0 right now.
So how much did you lose? Please, don't gamble ever again if this is your level of expertise in the game.

Reactions: THE JAM

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Weak roster, no warm-up games,..1st game playing against host nation whose players probably know each other very well and have played together a lot. Canada won bronze at the 2018 Olympics with a roster no better than this, so Canada should be able to get that as well this year.

As a Finn I can say that Canada is always weaker in the Euro sized rink and it's very noticeable, but this time the biggest factor is indeed the no warm-up games factor. Finland had 3 practice games and it was said to be a small amount. During those practice games it was said that some of Sweden, Czech and Russia might have had as many as 6+ games. So that matters, but most important thing is to reach the playoffs and play properly then. Canada can still do that if they don't go losing vs Germany for example.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I saw most of the Latvia game, the team's play was very disjointed and obviously the players aren't especially good compared to usual. That said, I liked Power's game a lot. I'm not sure if he even played in the first period but he seemed to get lots of minutes later. Perfetti looked pretty much as he did in the WJC. Pirri stood out as awful.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010

Problem is other teams' rosters are possibly quite a bit stronger than the '18 Olympics ones.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If they don't... who cares.

Just hope no one gets hurt - looks like someone already has. :(

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
As a Finn I can say that Canada is always weaker in the Euro sized rink and it's very noticeable, but this time the biggest factor is indeed the no warm-up games factor. Finland had 3 practice games and it was said to be a small amount. During those practice games it was said that some of Sweden, Czech and Russia might have had as many as 6+ games. So that matters, but most important thing is to reach the playoffs and play properly then. Canada can still do that if they don't go losing vs Germany for example.
Let's not go way overboard, they are not ALWAYS weaker on the Euro sized rink,in fact that statement isn't even really close to being truthful, you don't win golds on that surface if you're always weak on it. let's try to call things straight and be respectful around here, especially when you are in another teams section.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Let's not go way overboard, they are not ALWAYS weaker on the Euro sized rink,in fact that statement isn't even really close to being truthful, you don't win golds on that surface if you're always weak on it. let's try to call things straight and be respectful around here, especially when you are in another teams section.
With Superstars CAN win Gold. Without ist is very very difficult.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
With Superstars CAN win Gold. Without ist is very very difficult.
It's difficult for anyone without star players isn't it? Of course you need some star players usually, geez, who woulda thunk?

Still, There was precious little in the way of superstars last tournament and they almost won it.

How often do the other nations win it without some star players? You don't think Finlands win without nhl players is a regular thing do you? heck , you don't think them winning it with star players is regular either do you? And that goes for anybody not just Canada or Finland, they all must be weak on the big ice then right?

Cmon, it's an old tired stereotype, North American teams can take longer to adjust on big ice and there is no surprise in that, but Always weak on big ice? you must know better then that.

This really should not need to be explained. I had a conversation a short while ago on here in the under 18 tournament section with a poster who said it seems some Canadian fans have no respect and I said he didn't have to look far for plenty going the other way. If this viewpoint you and that poster hold isn't arrogance I don't know what is. This is right up there with the Euro players are soft or if Canada sends it's best players it can't lose myths.

It's days long gone by thinking that has little to no basis in reality anymore. Hockey Dinosaur thinking at it's finest.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

When I said "Canada is always weaker on Euro sized rink". Ok it's an exaggeration, because exceptions have happened. What I meant by the reference "Canada" there was Canada's team in a tournament vs the expectations of the roster. If there is a superior Canadian roster and they under perform, then I would think in my mind "Canada plays weaker".

I think that Canada can play weaker on Euro rink and overpower through with the superior players, despite of that disadvantage of not being used to Euro rink. I don't understand why you take that offensively. Most of the time it's not natural for Euro players who have played their childhood in Europe to get accustomed to NA rink and it's same vice versa. That's not a jab to Canadian players. It takes time to get used to, which Canada usually doesn't have as they don't play as many warm up games for Worlds as the top European countries have. Usually Canada improves the longer the tournament goes though, but sometimes it's too late when the improvement of the game would've happened and they are already out of the tournament at that point.

In the recent 3 golds that Canada won. If I can recall that includes that one time when Crosby was there. Maybe MacKinnon as well. That was good playing on Euro rink. Nobody had a chance against that and it was scary. That was an exception, but the roster was insanely good, so I can't say it's purely Canada being good on Euro rink in that tournament either, but it was good play on Euro rink nonetheless. Also the one where Canada beat Finland in the final 1-0 with McDavid's goal was good play on Euro rink. Rather solid tournament overall by Canada. So if these two tournaments, other with Crosby, other with McDavid were played on NA rink instead, those would've been even more clear wins for Canada.

Last edited:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Problem is other teams' rosters are possibly quite a bit stronger than the '18 Olympics ones.

I'm not so sure. Apart from the US and Canada, not many NHLers are participating. And unlike the 2018 olympics, many of the best players in Europe aren't participating either, especially for Finland, Russia and Sweden.

Because of Covid this edition of the WC is like a C/D level tourney for the top countries.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad