WC: Team Canada Roster Thread 2021

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I didn't quite realize how bad Canada's group is. A bit disappointing but the games will probably be more competitive than they would have been if this was the team from 2015 or something.
upload_2021-5-13_12-10-2.png

I would not want to see the 2015 team in this pool.

It's funny because the other pool has a stronger than usual Swiss and Czech team. Crossovers will be interesting! I read Seider is coming!

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Gotta be the first time in a while a Team Canada at the world's isn't even a cap floor team. Or even close. In some years they are even way above the cap.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
That roster is a lot better than I thought we'd have. Not exactly a crew of world-beaters but if they play good systems, why shouldn't they challenge for a medal?

Reactions: L13 and dalewood12

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
That roster is a lot better than I thought we'd have. Not exactly a crew of world-beaters but if they play good systems, why shouldn't they challenge for a medal?

disappointed we couldn't get Batherson or Chychun ... but oh well~ maybe next year.

and yes, should play for a medal.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Only 22 players of 29 allowed. Are they keeping slots open for first round exits? I would be surprised if as many as 7 would accept this year considering the circumstances.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Only 22 players of 29 allowed. Are they keeping slots open for first round exits? I would be surprised if as many as 7 would accept this year considering the circumstances.

22+3 goalkeepers, Application for tournament 25+3 goalkeepers, so there are only 3 places free.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
22+3 goalkeepers, Application for tournament 25+3 goalkeepers, so there are only 3 places free.

not expecting any late 1st. playoff additions. We're all ready 2 forwards 1 -D-man and a 3rd goalie above what's needed for a game day roster. Hockey Canada will go with what they have and play the 8 games 7 + 1 (quarter final - fingers crossed there will be more) hope for best and then get everybody home.

Next year in Helsinki Canada will come loaded ready to play.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
not expecting any late 1st. playoff additions. We're all ready 2 forwards 1 -D-man and a 3rd goalie above what's needed for a game day roster. Hockey Canada will go with what they have and play the 8 games 7 + 1 (quarter final - fingers crossed there will be more) hope for best and then get everybody home.

in Tampere, Uros Arena.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
So if Comtois is made captain how are the Canadian fans gonna feel, outside of maybe Brown he is probably the best player on the roster. He is also a previous Canada captain but last time he was captain it seems like Canadians weren’t too happy with him

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
in Tampere, Uros Arena.

Are you just hoping Canada plays in the Tampere group?

You know I was planning on taking the fam to Switzerland for a vacation last year and take in some Team Canada games... but that didn't quite work out. I'll give serious consideration over the next few months into having one last hockey adventure and making the trip to Finland next year. It will either be that or to Czech Republic in 2024.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

We have no idea where Canada will play next year

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
We have no idea where Canada will play next year

right. and It just dawned on me anyway that next year is an Olympic year, so most likely very few Canadian heavy hitters A-listers will accept the invite. I'll just have pin my hopes and travel plans for Prague 2024.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So if Comtois is made captain how are the Canadian fans gonna feel, outside of maybe Brown he is probably the best player on the roster. He is also a previous Canada captain but last time he was captain it seems like Canadians weren’t too happy with him

Next to no one will care who the captain of the world championship team is. World juniors captain is much more high profile in Canada. I doubt that they will select someone so young to be captain anyway though.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Will players want to go?

Who knows. The 2015 tournament in Prague was stacked, really many star players not only for Canada but for other teams as well. Might be a coincidence, I don't know. In any case games in Prague do usually have tremendous atmosphere thank to the fans, who use to sell out almost every game and be really loud and so on. So maybe players may like this as well. I just hope for future tournamens to be not affected by any pandemic or similar disaster like this year's one.

Reactions: jaro

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Who knows. The 2015 tournament in Prague was stacked, really many star players not only for Canada but for other teams as well. Might be a coincidence, I don't know. In any case games in Prague do usually have tremendous atmosphere thank to the fans, who use to sell out almost every game and be really loud and so on. So maybe players may like this as well. I just hope for future tournamens to be not affected by any pandemic or similar disaster like this year's one.

I loved 2015--Had a blast--I go to the WC every year

Problem will be convincing NHL players to go to China where they might be some mayhem still. I've been to China a few times and I trust no information that comes out of there. And I enjoyed myself every time I was there

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I loved 2015--Had a blast--I go to the WC every year

Problem will be convincing NHL players to go to China where they might be some mayhem still. I've been to China a few times and I trust no information that comes out of there. And I enjoyed myself every time I was there

Oh so. You mean, mayhem regarding the pandemic or the human rights issue and so on? The pandemic is going to be under control (my guess), the problem with China of course is the human rights breaches etc. Overall, I would understand a boycott of the OG in China from the side of some countries or at least individual athletes. Maybe it would be reasonable to cancel the NHL participation in China and make a best-on-best hockey tournament sometimes in 2022/2023, as a celebration of that the pandemic will (hopefully) be over at that time and so on? Of course I know this is unrealistic and only my dream, but it would be a nice solution. Obviously it is not going to happen.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Are you just hoping Canada plays in the Tampere group?

You know I was planning on taking the fam to Switzerland for a vacation last year and take in some Team Canada games... but that didn't quite work out. I'll give serious consideration over the next few months into having one last hockey adventure and making the trip to Finland next year. It will either be that or to Czech Republic in 2024.
I am only assuming. Tampere is a main stage in 2022, because there is a new arena. Medal round games and semifinals are definitely in Tampere.

Im planning to go to the medal round games. Last time when the World Juniors were in Helsinki, i bought the ticket to the gold medal & bronze medal games in the summer 2015. And luckily Finland went to the finals and won the gold, im hoping similar luck now :). You should definitely have a trip to Finland next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->