WC: Team Canada Roster Thread 2021

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It breaks my heart that I have to include not just one Strome, but two. but these are tough times we are living in...

I left off all UFAs/RFAs. except for 1. Drake Batherson. Just hoping Hockey Canada can entice at least one solid youngster with insurance up the yazzooo. enough to convince him to play.

but anyway....

T PEARSONB HORVATD BATHERSON
S LAUGHTONS COUTURIERT KONECNY
K DACHA HENRIQUER STROME
A MANGIAPANEC TIERNEYC BROWN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A LEFRENIERE D STROME
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T CHABOTT MYERS
J CHYCHRUNJ DRYSDALE
T SMITHD SEVERSON
M FERRARO / O POWER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
D KUEMPER
M BLACKWOOD
Canadian playing in Europe
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
The Canucks play their last game on the 18th while Canada plays its first game on the 21st, I doubt any Canucks join Team Canada

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The only Flyers players that I can see joining the team are Carter Hart and Philippe Myers. Potentially Travis Sanheim although he is an RFA. Giroux and Couturier will likely opt out as they have small kids at home (and Giroux expecting another) and Konecny has a baby on the way.

I didn't know that about Couturier and Konecny. Those were two of the best plausible forwards in my estimation. I'll still give Couturier a bit of a shot of showing up given that he's been very good to show up in the past and he's in contention for a potential Olympic spot.

Realistically the players I most want to see are Chabot, Chychrun, Lafreniere, Drysdale. I'd also like to see an offer extended to Dach after his WJC misfortune. Among older players I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis again. Realistically though... I wouldn't bet on seeing any of these guys.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
If I was Hockey Canada, I'd invite as many youngsters as possible. This year is going to be weak may as well develop some of the talent and get these kids more games since most didn't get full seasons in.

Reactions: lilidk

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
We should bring Wright as an extra and play him against the lower teams and see how he does and give him a chance to play more if he does well

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I could see Michael Rasmussen on the team. He's quietly had a solid 2nd half to the year here. No, the offensive numbers aren't there, but nobody on Detroit has anything offensively. Maybe just wishful thinking for me as a Wings fan, but I think Ras will be considered.

I also wonder if they invite Joe Veleno. This one depends on how many players from other teams around the NHL are declining invites. Troy Stecher is another Wings player that could be in the mix.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Sounds like Chabot is done for the season. Not sure how that will impact his playing for Canada and the WCs.

If he's done for the season, then he's most likely out of any Team Canada action as well. but who knows? He loves playing international hockey, and may want to play, but I would imagine the Sens will advise him to sit it out. Too Bad. I wanted to throw a shoe at Stanley when I saw the hit. that goof.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
We’ve got most all of the rest of the usuals so far, Rabid Ranger popping in for a cameo!

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
If he's done for the season, then he's most likely out of any Team Canada action as well. but who knows? He loves playing international hockey, and may want to play, but I would imagine the Sens will advise him to sit it out. Too Bad. I wanted to throw a shoe at Stanley when I saw the hit. that goof.

The way DJ Smith was talking made it seem like if the last game of the season was a must-win he’d probably play but they don’t want to take any chances with him and want him to heal. It’s a mix of precautionary/he’s actually hurt. The decision will probably come down to if he doesn’t want to risk aggravation more than him still being hurt when the WHC starts.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Drew Doughty pretty much has to go, he’s on the outside looking in for that Olympic team and he needs to make a strong push. He’s felt slighted by a few having not been considered a top 50 NHLer.

Laf will be there if healthy, they usually take all the young studs to groom them.

Wright is a possibility but it’s unheard of to take a player that young.

Reactions: Get North

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't mind Wright getting in some games given that he missed a whole season, but I don't expect it and I can understand the reasons not to. I'm always in favour of using this tournament for development purposes. It will definitely be interesting to see what motley crew shows up this year.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Paul-Knight-Danforth... It doesn't look to good, I don't think Doughty would want to come play with these guys.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oh great! A ECHLer. We reached the bottom of the barrel and then had to keep digging for bodies to lace up a pair of skates.

I fear for the U.S. team...lol. This was always going to b a huge challenge for most of these federations to attract top tier talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad