WC: Team Canada Roster Thread 2021

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Can I assume they will have to quarantine?

If so, even more credit to players who are playing.
I know I would not go.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Kuemper could be looking at Canada's goaltender situation and thinking he has a shot to make the Olympic team.

I thought that too. Really, a strong performance on what will likely be quite a weak team could put him very firmly in contention. My recollection is that he was good in his previous tournament.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Howcome RFAs don’t ever go? Is it so they don’t get hurt/play bad and lose value?
Yes... they are mid contract and an injury could cost them a forturne. Eg. Jakub Vrana is about to sign a big contract out of RFA. He's also considering going to Latvia. If he gets injured before he signs that contract, it's really bad for him and he could lose millions. I used to hate it when players backed out because they were UFA or RFA but I've seen a few guys go now and it ended their career. Eg. Radek Martinek still had one more good NHL year left in him (eg. a million dollars) and got rocked by a Kostitstyn (I think) and that ended his worlds and NHL career (which admittledly, had 1 year left in it).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
FTR... Canada will be a medal contender. I get fans like to complain that it isn't the best possible team but they will have more NHL players than several countries combined. Sending an a mostly NHL roster (to a tournamnet that will be very low on NHL talent) and thinking you are at a disadvantage is an interesting take.lol

Eg. I see Kuemper is going above. If this is true, he's already one of the best goalies in the tourney. Which other NHL goalies are coming? Czechs couldn't even secure Josef Korenar as he's going back to the AHL.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
If I get to see 4 or 5 promising young players in the age bracket 18 -22 i.e. Drysdale, Batherson and Comtois, then that's all I'm after. you can fill out the rest of the roster with beer leaguers for all I care.

Reactions: Francis10

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If I get to see 4 or 5 promising young players in the age bracket 18 -22 i.e. Drysdale, Batherson and Comtois, then that's all I'm after. you can fill out the rest of the roster with beer leaguers for all I care.

My take is good team play is going to be more important this year than the on paper quality of the individual rosters.

Reactions: surixon

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
I guess my first prediction was way too optimistic. Possibly no star players coming, but maybe guys like Mangiapane and Tierney are possible. Would like to see Cozens there too. Add those to the current names and a few Euro players for depth. On the D probably same thing. Young guys and few Euro's. So i gave it one more try. Still would be a good roster for this level:

Comtois - Henrique - Batherson
Mangiapane - Tierney - Brown
Hagel - Cozens - Bunting
Paul - Knight - Danforth
Spooner - Beck

Ferraro - Myers
Fleury - Stecher
Gelinas - Noreau
Power - Grant

Kuemper

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Basically. Getting reps for guys who just might prove useful later on is enough. Credit to anyone who does show up but my interest will be in the individual performances of the young guys... assuming that some promising young players do end up in Europe.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I guess my first prediction was way too optimistic. Possibly no star players coming, but maybe guys like Mangiapane and Tierney are possible. Would like to see Cozens there too. Add those to the current names and a few Euro players for depth. On the D probably same thing. Young guys and few Euro's. So i gave it one more try. Still would be a good roster for this level:

Comtois - Henrique - Batherson
Mangiapane - Tierney - Brown
Hagel - Cozens - Bunting
Paul - Knight - Danforth
Spooner - Beck

Ferraro - Myers
Fleury - Stecher
Gelinas - Noreau
Power - Grant

Kuemper
Yikes eh.

Ad