Team Canada 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
This is what I came up with for the D. I know HC likes to have their veterans. And without having NHLers in 2018 it makes for a weird transition phase. With that said:

Theodore - Pietro
Keith - Doughty
Girard - Makar
Morrissey - Letang

A mix of new and old. Not gifting a spot to an older veteran(maybe Keith but he’ll be more than fine for 8 games) and taking talent while having security.

Theodore-Pietro
Blank-Makar
Blank - Doughty

or

Pietro - Makar
Theodore - Blank
Blank - Doughty

Pietro has played on the left side for Team Canada in the past and can switch if necessary.

I think these four are going to be on the team for sure regardless of where they slot in. Not sure about Keith as he's well past his best at this point. That would be a shocker even with his incredible resume.

Reactions: sabresEH

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Theodore-Pietro
Blank-Makar
Blank - Doughty

or

Pietro - Makar
Theodore - Blank
Blank - Doughty

Pietro has played on the left side for Team Canada in the past and can switch if necessary.

I think these four are going to be on the team for sure regardless of where they slot in. Not sure about Keith as he's well past his best at this point. That would be a shocker even with his incredible resume.
Probably more accurate and fair. As I mentioned, I don’t see HC only going one Olympic veteran. I understand Pietro played in the WCoH but it’s not the same. Keith would provide some insurance/stability. As long as one of him or Weber can still skate one of them will be there. And at this point it’s Keith who can still skate. You probably don’t want him for 60+ games. But 8 games Keith will be good.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Probably more accurate and fair. As I mentioned, I don’t see HC only going one Olympic veteran. I understand Pietro played in the WCoH but it’s not the same. Keith would provide some insurance/stability. As long as one of him or Weber can still skate one of them will be there. And at this point it’s Keith who can still skate. You probably don’t want him for 60+ games. But 8 games Keith will be good.

Pietrangelo and Doughty were both at the 2014 Olympics. It would be pretty shocking if Keith were there without some sudden resurgence next year.

I agree with the post above that it probably looks like Makar, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Theodore, plus others who aren't set in stone yet, particularly on the left. Canada has good depth of solid options but you'd hope that a few can separate from the pack at the start of next season.

Ayiluss

May 29, 2021
May I ask who is Blank? Hopefully it's not a stupid question but I'm not canadian?

Thanks in advance!

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Years ago, I won the lottery. A cool $10,000,000. Of course, I intended to spend half the money on booze and strippers and blow the other half.

That night, I was at a strip club when a Latvian dancer approached me - her name was Agnese. She was beautiful! Dark hair, dark eyes. She was missing a few teeth but it was dark in the club so I didn't notice.

Later that night, as we laid in bed, she convinced me to tell her my bank pin number. We had a connection, the kind men do with exotic dancers, so, needless to say, I trusted her. BIG MISTAKE!!!

Shortly after that, I passed out - I'm not sure why since I'd been drinking diet Pepsi all night.

Two days later, when I awoke, she was gone, and I realized she'd removed $10,000,000 from my bank account and flown back to Latvia. Needless to say, I've hated Latvians ever since.

True story.

Same thing happened to me. Twice, actually.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Seeing Doughty on a lot of rosters, and I believe I had him on a previous one too, but I don’t think he’ll be in the top-6.

Maybe he’s a 7, or 8, but I don’t think his play the past couple years has been good enough to be a top-6.

Theadore - Pietrangelo
Toews - Makar
Nurse/Chychrun - Ekblad
Chabot - Doughty

If Toews/Makar play together next year too, I think they’ll be a pair for team Canada. Similar to what they did with taking Keith/Seabrook. If they continue to be the best, or one of the best pairs in the NHL, I don’t know why they wouldn’t just take them both and play them together.

Pietrangelo will be the veteran guy they are going to play in the top-6. I expect a lot of turnover from the previous Team Canada defence.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Seeing Doughty on a lot of rosters, and I believe I had him on a previous one too, but I don’t think he’ll be in the top-6.

Maybe he’s a 7, or 8, but I don’t think his play the past couple years has been good enough to be a top-6.

Theadore - Pietrangelo
Toews - Makar
Nurse/Chychrun - Ekblad
Chabot - Doughty

If Toews/Makar play together next year too, I think they’ll be a pair for team Canada. Similar to what they did with taking Keith/Seabrook. If they continue to be the best, or one of the best pairs in the NHL, I don’t know why they wouldn’t just take them both and play them together.

Pietrangelo will be the veteran guy they are going to play in the top-6. I expect a lot of turnover from the previous Team Canada defence.

They might do that, but it's worth remembering that Canada quickly split up Keith-Seabrook and dropped Seabrook to seventh defenceman. I'm planning to watch a lot of the upcoming Colorado/Vegas series specifically to see how Toews looks and how Girard looks. I'm a Girard fan already but I want to get a better sense of what Toews brings alongside Makar.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Theadore - Pietrangelo
Toews - Makar
Nurse/Chychrun - Ekblad
Chabot - Doughty

I think Doughty was iffy before this season.

But this year is right on par with some of his peak seasons production-wise. Add in his experience (NHL + international) and this pretty much makes him a lock.

Toews won't make it cause he has no history with Team Canada and they do care about that a lot. You usually have to get your reps in before getting a chance on the biggest stage. I think to overcome something like that, you'd need to win the Norris.

Chabot, Morrissey, Nurse, and Rielly on the other hand have put in a lot of time with Team Canada and will likely get preference on the left side.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Before this season, I did NOT want Marner on Team Canada.

Then Marner had the best season of his life and I changed my mind.

After seeing him against Montreal (SHOOT THE PUCK !!!!!), I'm back to NOT wanting him on the team. Maybe, and it is a BIG maybe, the 14th forward.

Who knows, maybe he wins the game in the 3rd, but I could see Marner being great in the round robin at the Olympics and disappearing when we need him most.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

After seeing him against Montreal (SHOOT THE PUCK !!!!!), I'm back to NOT wanting him on the team. Maybe, and it is a BIG maybe, the 14th forward.

Who knows, maybe he wins the game in the 3rd, but I could see Marner being great in the round robin at the Olympics and disappearing when we need him most.

Can't lie, I'm with you on this one. I can't stand coaches like Babcock because he's a predator, but there's a reason why he was so fixated on Marner. He smelled a shit ton of weakness, and playoff after playoff he keeps choking away the prime chances.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Can't lie, I'm with you on this one. I can't stand coaches like Babcock because he's a predator, but there's a reason why he was so fixated on Marner. He smelled a shit ton of weakness, and playoff after playoff he keeps choking away the prime chances.
Yup.

I like Marner. He can set up a goal like few others. The puck follows him around and he's terrific on the PK. But he can't shoot and he has NO confidence in his shot.

Cut off the passing lanes and let the goalie wait for Marner's shot - either over the net or into the goalie's chest.

Last edited:

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Two things

1. I’m à Montréal supporter, and while Marner didn’t cover himself in glory tonight, he still made same nice defensive plays (slide in overtime) and generally did not turn the puck over

2. Phillip Danault can literally be brought to Beijing just to play against Auston Matthews, he has kept him as quiet as I’ve ever seen

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Two things

1. I’m à Montréal supporter, and while Marner didn’t cover himself in glory tonight, he still made same nice defensive plays (slide in overtime) and generally did not turn the puck over

2. Phillip Danault can literally be brought to Beijing just to play against Auston Matthews, he has kept him as quiet as I’ve ever seen

Danault will not be on Team Canada. He has played well this series though.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

By that logic, I guess the Americans should leave Matthews off their Olympic roster then. 1 goal in 6 games...woof.

you really got to give up the Marner schtick.

Who knows if he makes the team or not. He's on my team, but ultimately I don't get the final roster call. but if he is and Canada goes in 3rd. period of an elimination game trailing by a goal or two and fails to overcome it, then that's on 20 skaters and not one player in particular.

I get it, we all have biases and aversions to particular players. For years I hated the Bobbsey Twins of Anaheim, never wanted either one of them on my Team Canada roster, but when their level of play warranted a spot on the roster, I always included them, despite my loathing for Getzlaf and Perry.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
you really got to give up the Marner schtick.
If you think it's bad with my posts, you need to go to the Leaf forum - they're burning Marner in effigy.

After Marner bleeped the bed in the playoffs last year, I felt how I do now. But I remember the look on his face after the post game press conference. The look said, "I'll never let this happen, again."

Well it has...

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
By that logic, I guess the Americans should leave Matthews off their Olympic roster then. 1 goal in 6 games...woof.
I would LOVE for the Americans to leave Matthews off their roster... but it won't happen.

As for Marner vs Matthews...

When things aren't going well for Matthews, he concentrates on doing the little things well. He may not be producing points, but he's not screwing up.

Marner is the opposite. When things aren't going well, he tries to do too much and screws everything up. I can't understand why the Leafs can't beat this way of thinking out of him - oh yeah, I forgot, they fired Babcock.

Like you said, everyone has their team and none of us have the final say. But, again, if Marner is on Team Canada, wait for him to bleep the bed when it counts most.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With Marner, the thing is that he's good enough to probably be one of Canada's 14 best forwards but he isn't so good that he has to be there automatically. He should make the team if he fills an appropriate role. TSN/Toronto fans often present it as if he is a given but it probably depends on what role they want him for, and I'm not sure that playmaking from the wing is desperately needed. Where does he go? Canada very likely rolls McDavid, MacKinnon, and Crosby down the middle. Can't see him with McDavid or Crosby stylistically, but who knows. It might work with MacKinnon - he does play with a playmaker on his wing in Colorado and Marner does play with an elite scoring centre in Toronto. Then there is the fourth line. Best case scenario for Marner is that they want him to be the scoring threat on a defensively oriented line (Couturier at centre maybe?) or perhaps they put Point there and Hockey Canada remembers that Marner and Point were good together at the 2017 IIHF WC. A conservative approach might see them go a different route entirely.

If he's there it's very likely as a complementary piece, as that's what Hockey Canada almost always does with wingers at the best on best level. I like Marner on the team as a potential offensive spark plug that can be inserted if needed but I also wouldn't be surprised if he isn't there at all.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
With Marner, the thing is that he's good enough to probably be one of Canada's 14 best forwards but he isn't so good that he has to be there automatically. He should make the team if he fills an appropriate role. TSN/Toronto fans often present it as if he is a given but it probably depends on what role they want him for, and I'm not sure that playmaking from the wing is desperately needed. Where does he go? Canada very likely rolls McDavid, MacKinnon, and Crosby down the middle. Can't see him with McDavid or Crosby stylistically, but who knows. It might work with MacKinnon - he does play with a playmaker on his wing in Colorado and Marner does play with an elite scoring centre in Toronto. Then there is the fourth line. Best case scenario for Marner is that they want him to be the scoring threat on a defensively oriented line (Couturier at centre maybe?) or perhaps they put Point there and Hockey Canada remembers that Marner and Point were good together at the 2017 IIHF WC. A conservative approach might see them go a different route entirely.

If he's there it's very likely as a complementary piece, as that's what Hockey Canada almost always does with wingers at the best on best level. I like Marner on the team as a potential offensive spark plug that can be inserted if needed but I also wouldn't be surprised if he isn't there at all.
Great post. :thumbu:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
If you think it's bad with my posts, you need to go to the Leaf forum - they're burning Marner in effigy.

After Marner bleeped the bed in the playoffs last year, I felt how I do now. But I remember the look on his face after the post game press conference. The look said, "I'll never let this happen, again."

Well it has...

the last place I would go for informed NHL hockey opinions are the HF NHL team threads. They are all unbearable and a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad