Team Canada 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Huberdeau hasn't played for Canada since 2014, despite being eligible every year since excluding last year when he IIHF WC was cancelled. He was 12th in scoring in 2019 and told the media that he wasn't contacted by Hockey Canada to play in the tournament. Doesn't seem normal.

This is typical..............there is always some sort of politics involved. You take the best guys and leave it at that. Huberdeau definitely is good enough to be on the Olympic team, especially as a natural left winger, which we need and may not have outside of Marchand. Even as a pass-first winger, which is rare, he could fit in on a line with MacKinnon or someone at centre who likes to shoot a lot. No one doubts Marner makes this team, yet he is a passing winger on the right side as well. Regardless, you find a way for him to fit.

Did Huberdeau turn down a chance to play once? Because Hockey Canada always seems to hold a grudge against the guys who do this.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
This is typical..............there is always some sort of politics involved. You take the best guys and leave it at that. Huberdeau definitely is good enough to be on the Olympic team, especially as a natural left winger, which we need and may not have outside of Marchand. Even as a pass-first winger, which is rare, he could fit in on a line with MacKinnon or someone at centre who likes to shoot a lot. No one doubts Marner makes this team, yet he is a passing winger on the right side as well. Regardless, you find a way for him to fit.

Did Huberdeau turn down a chance to play once? Because Hockey Canada always seems to hold a grudge against the guys who do this.

There is something there. Hockey Canada and Huberdeau. not sure what it is, but if it is just due to at one time turning down an invite to play, and I'm assuming you mean the IIHF WHC, and HC is holding a grudge...then HC would have a long long grudge list. because everybody turns down on multiple occasions invites to that tournament. I doubt it's that...but there is something there.

on the + side of the ledger. How about that Nate MacKinnon fella? Damn, he ups his game when the games matter most.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

To add, I believe that Huberdeau also wasn't included on the North America Yung Gunz team despite being one of the top forwards available. I don't know if he refused Hockey Canada before but it seems like it goes beyond that. Every player has refused Hokey Canada at some point basically. If he played for a franchise with more media attention I'd guess that something would have come out about this.

Regarding Marner, I do have doubts that Marner makes the team. We'll see regarding him.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Regarding Marner, I do have doubts that Marner makes the team. We'll see regarding him.
Wow. Who would you put in his place?

He worries me (I've said this for years - he's talented, no doubt, but he's mistake prone and his shot is garbage) but I don't doubt he will make the team.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
With Huberdeau, if there is anything between him and Hockey Canada, I doubt it would be turning down an invitation once upon a time. As has been mentioned, a lot of players turn down invitations.

It would have to be something that happened behind-the-scenes, and not simply turning down an invitation.

It is also possible that Hockey Canada doesn't like his game or doesn't see him as a fit. In the past, they have tended to like wingers who are great goal-scorers, physical, good penalty killers, or some combination of these three things. He is none of these things. He is a finesse playmaker who doesn't kill penalties.

The wingers who have shined for Canada in the past have been: Nash, Heatley, Iginla, Perry, etc. All guys who were candidates to score 40-50 goals in a season. Then they took physical wingers or supreme penalty killers for the rest of the spots to complement these goal-scorers.

Reactions: L13

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Maybe he will have a great series and I will (hopefully) eat my words, but tonight is a perfect example of why I worry about Marner on team Canada.

No shot. Even less confidence in his own shot. Never good in big games.

ALL the teams I wanted to win tonight... lost. :(

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Wow. Who would you put in his place?

He worries me (I've said this for years - he's talented, no doubt, but he's mistake prone and his shot is garbage) but I don't doubt he will make the team.

I don't think that he necessarily has a place. Playmaking wingers often don't make team Canada. I'm confident that Stone and Bergeron are ahead of Marner among right wing options, and then there are guys like Point and Stamkos who are likely better stylistic fits for how Canada plays. Scheifele could also line up in a right wing spot I suppose. I'd likely find a spot for Marner if they are allowed 14 forwards but it wouldn't be a guarantee. When it comes to Hockey Canada and how team Canada usually looks at the top level I don't think that he's a lock.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
A good time to remind everyone that a certain playmaking winger, who was the reigning Art Ross winner, competent defensively, a Cup champion, had boatloads of international experience, AND played for the GM picking the team, was initially passed over for the 2014 team. And when they were forced into taking him due to Stamkos's injury, he was stapled to the bench for the entirety of the tournament.

So, guys like Marner and Huberdeau are by no means locks for the 2022 team.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think that he necessarily has a place. Playmaking wingers often don't make team Canada. I'm confident that Stone and Bergeron are ahead of Marner among right wing options, and then there are guys like Point and Stamkos who are likely better stylistic fits for how Canada plays. Scheifele could also line up in a right wing spot I suppose. I'd likely find a spot for Marner if they are allowed 14 forwards but it wouldn't be a guarantee. When it comes to Hockey Canada and how team Canada usually looks at the top level I don't think that he's a lock.
I don't disagree with you.

If I was Hockey Canada, I would look for players who come thru in big games. I'd rather have someone who scores big goals than someone who has a million points in the regular season.

We also have enough play makers to choke a horse. We need players who can put the puck in the net - that is not Marner.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A good time to remind everyone that a certain playmaking winger, who was the reigning Art Ross winner, competent defensively, a Cup champion, had boatloads of international experience, AND played for the GM picking the team, was initially passed over for the 2014 team. And when they were forced into taking him due to Stamkos's injury, he was stapled to the bench for the entirety of the tournament.

So, guys like Marner and Huberdeau are by no means locks for the 2022 team.
Yup - I felt bad for St Louis at the time.

Canada likes their centers. Again, we have a boat load of play makers. Give me someone who can shoot the puck.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Yup - I felt bad for St Louis at the time.

Canada likes their centers. Again, we have a boat load of play makers. Give me someone who can shoot the puck.

Yeah, my thinking could be totally off but Armstrong was part of the management team for 2010, 2014 and 2016 so I don't think he'll stray too far from the formula that worked at those tournaments. And of course Huberdeau and Marner could play themselves onto the team (they may have already done so as far as I know), but in my personal view they both have to climb uphill to do so, not because of their performance (they're both among Canada's top 14 forwards, all things considered), but because they don't bring the skills that Hockey Canada might be looking for to the table. What helps them both though is that the prototypical big, fast, scoring wingers that we had in 2010/2014 (Carter, Marleau, Nash, Staal, Benn, Iginla, Perry, Stamkos (though injured)) aren't really available now.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If any of you have been watching the series between Florida and Tampa Bay Huberdeau absolutely merits a place, he plays with scrubs 5v5 and is an incredible play driver with world class vision
Based on stats watching, he was very good last night.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, my thinking could be totally off but Armstrong was part of the management team for 2010, 2014 and 2016 so I don't think he'll stray too far from the formula that worked at those tournaments. And of course Huberdeau and Marner could play themselves onto the team (they may have already done so as far as I know), but in my personal view they both have to climb uphill to do so, not because of their performance (they're both among Canada's top 14 forwards, all things considered), but because they don't bring the skills that Hockey Canada might be looking for to the table. What helps them both though is that the prototypical big, fast, scoring wingers that we had in 2010/2014 (Carter, Marleau, Nash, Staal, Benn, Iginla, Perry, Stamkos (though injured)) aren't really available now.
We definitely need shooters.

As a Leaf fan, Marner was lights out all season. So much talent. But he is :

1) Not a shooter;
2) A risk taker;
3) Prone to error;
4) Not clutch in big games.

He is amazing on the PK and terrific on the PP but... I don't know. Tough call.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
We definitely need shooters.

As a Leaf fan, Marner was lights out all season. So much talent. But he is :

1) Not a shooter;
2) A risk taker;
3) Prone to error;
4) Not clutch in big games.

He is amazing on the PK and terrific on the PP but... I don't know. Tough call.
The Columbus series was different but I thought in the two Boston series he was Toronto’s best player

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
With Taraves going on LTIR and Stamkos returning to game action new roster needed.

Don't count out Jeff Carter yet, folks. He could find himself as the 13th. F and getting some PP time on Sid's RW. He's moving up.

S STAMKOSC MCDAVIDB POINT
J HUBERDEAUN MACKINNONM SCHEIFELE
B MARCHANDS CROSBYP BERGERON
R O’REILLYS COUTURIERM STONE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M BARZAL M MARNER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
S THEODOREC MAKAR
D NURSEA PIETRANGELO
T CHABOTD DOUGHTY
S GIRARDD HAMILTON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M.A. FLEURY
D KUEMPER
J BINNINGTON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The guys like Carter, Marleau, and Nash aren't really around now. Not many players like that are being produced for whatever reason. Big, fast, good goal scorers, solid defensively. They wouldn't carry a line at the international level but they did bring some of everything while taking nothing off the table. Even before the last generation you could find some similar players who were better than you'd think internationally like Gartner at the Canada Cup in the 80s. It would be great if Canada had equivalents of prime versions of Carter and Marleau to pick as utility players though Stone, O'Reilly, and Marchand are decent options as the new utility players.

Reactions: Get North

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sometimes in Canada our teams are picked by people who are too smart for their own good. Just my thought.

Denis Savard probably should have found a place on the 1984 or 1987 team just based on his talent alone it would have been interesting to see him skating against the Russians.

Yzerman was cut from the 1987 team, which wasn't a big deal, but the 1991 team it was utter nonsense. This was a guy who was putting up monster seasons at this point and was among the top centres in the NHL. Two years removed from a 155 point season. They cut him in 1991. This was also a team that was missing some talent for various reasons and Yzerman would have been a nice shot in the arm. We won, but I still never understand why they passed him up.

We all know about St. Louis by now in 2014. I can remember on a weekly basis a co-worker of mine and I would make mock teams leading up to the announcement. St. Louis wasn't even a bubble guy, he was a lock. Never understood it to be honest. Sure he is a playmaking winger, but then why not put him with a centre who scores and shoots often? You just don't leave off the Art Ross Trophy winner.

The odd time they are right. Babcock never liked PK Subban on his team. When he was forced to pick him in 2014 he only played one game. Never picked him in 2016 either. Subban was coming off a Norris year in 2013 (although a weak Norris winning season by historic standards). I can see why with him to an extent, Subban didn't fit in with the responsible game Babcock wanted. Too risky, and we already had enough talent on D.

But in general I think Canada over thinks things. Imagine someone like Marner with MacKinnon. This would be epic. Marner already plays with a centre who loves to shoot the puck and scores a ton of goals. Marner is just too talented to leave off of this team. I'll admit you still want the size and physicality and sandpaper of other wingers, so pick them, but don't leave Marner off the team.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marner already plays with a centre who loves to shoot the puck and scores a ton of goals. Marner is just too talented to leave off of this team. I'll admit you still want the size and physicality and sandpaper of other wingers, so pick them, but don't leave Marner off the team.
Last year, I did not want Marner on the team - my other exclusions were J.T., Stamkos and Hamilton. Then Marner was spectacular in 2021 so I changed my mind. Then I saw him do stupid things at the end of the Leaf season and he was a dud in Game 1 against Montreal - his shot is so weak so I am on the fence.

Because we need less playmakers and more scorers, I am leaning away from Marner but, I agree, it will be hard to keep him off - especially since he also terrific on the P.K.

I know you can't teach someone to score but... there has to be a way to strengthen/improve that shot.

Last edited:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
This team seems a little underwhelming looking at the rosters compared to 2014.

There is plenty of excitement but the excitement doesn't feel the same like we're about to witness ...greatness. An evolution in the history of Hockey will soon take place like the Sochi squad gave us and what a Team Canada should bring at each Olympics.

Even with McDavid. This next generation doesn't come close to the previous generation which seemed to have been a peak of Canadian Hockey until now.

Doesn't help the atmosphere also that the tournament is in China.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad