Team Canada 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think ORR's problem has less to do with Marner's raw playoff numbers (they honestly aren't terrible) as it is his actual play during these games, and that Team Canada won't be lacking in playmakers nor two-way players, making Marner's strengths more of a luxury than a need. That penalty he took in yesterday's game is a bit of a red flag (like seriously, that may be the most deserved delay of game penalty I've seen in ages), and if Team Canada wants a team that plays with composure in high stakes games. I'm happy he did it as a Habs fan, but I don't think anyone could ever explain that delay of game play.

For the moment, my forward lines would be:

MacKinnon-McDavid-Scheifele
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Point-Marner
O'Reilly-Tavares-Stone

Extras:
Huberdeau
Hall

I count 7 locks, 2 probables and 3 splits in the twelve core players.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think ORR's problem has less to do with Marner's raw playoff numbers (they honestly aren't terrible) as it is his actual play during these games, and that Team Canada won't be lacking in playmakers nor two-way players, making Marner's strengths more of a luxury than a need. That penalty he took in yesterday's game is a bit of a red flag (like seriously, that may be the most deserved delay of game penalty I've seen in ages), and if Team Canada wants a team that plays with composure in high stakes games.
Exactly.

1) Marner seldom steps up in big games.
2) Marner lacks composure in big games.

His play making ability won't be missed but his error prone ways could make a big difference. Err on the side of caution with so much at stake.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Don't pick Marner, that's for sure, unless you want puck over glass penalties.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I would be very surprised if Marner doesn't get picked.

Shifty skating for the big ice. Can kill penalties. Is a media darling.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think ORR's problem has less to do with Marner's raw playoff numbers (they honestly aren't terrible) as it is his actual play during these games, and that Team Canada won't be lacking in playmakers nor two-way players, making Marner's strengths more of a luxury than a need. That penalty he took in yesterday's game is a bit of a red flag (like seriously, that may be the most deserved delay of game penalty I've seen in ages), and if Team Canada wants a team that plays with composure in high stakes games. I'm happy he did it as a Habs fan, but I don't think anyone could ever explain that delay of game play.

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Point-Marner
O'Reilly-Tavares-Stone

Extras:
Huberdeau
Hall

Huberdau over Marner

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I would be very surprised if Marner doesn't get picked.

Shifty skating for the big ice. Can kill penalties. Is a media darling.

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Point-Marner
O'Reilly-Tavares-Stone

Extras:
Huberdeau
Hall

I think Marner will make Team Canada.

90-100 pt forward, Natural RWer, PKer, and has a history with Canada's hockey program. He was one of the top point producers at the World Championships in 2017. Lots of things are working for him.

He should have no trouble at all feasting against the opponent's third-best line alongside two superstars.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Huberdau-Point-Marner
O'Reilly-Couturier-Stone
Stamkos, Tavares

Girard - Makar
Theodore - Pietro
Toews - Nurse
Chabot - Doughty

Price
Fleury
Binnington

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Marner is 50-50 to make the team, in my view. At RW, Bergeron and Stone are locks in my opinion. Point and Scheifele are both RHS centers that can easily move to the wing, and I would have to think they'd be above Marner on the depth chart too depending on how the coaching staff construct their lines. And depending on how the management team and coaching staff look at it, they may prefer to have someone like Barzal (RHS center) as a 13th/14th forward as he provides more flexibility to play center if someone higher on the depth chart gets injured (see Duchene in 2014). As someone mentioned above his level of production, ability to PK, and international experience with Canada are certainly points in his favour though.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marner is 50-50 to make the team, in my view. At RW, Bergeron and Stone are locks in my opinion. Point and Scheifele are both RHS centers that can easily move to the wing, and I would have to think they'd be above Marner on the depth chart too depending on how the coaching staff construct their lines. And depending on how the management team and coaching staff look at it, they may prefer to have someone like Barzal (RHS center) as a 13th/14th forward as he provides more flexibility to play center if someone higher on the depth chart gets injured (see Duchene in 2014). As someone mentioned above his level of production, ability to PK, and international experience with Canada are certainly points in his favour though.
I'm a Leaf fan and I am pissed off so...

Marner tries to dangle thru 2 men on the blue line, Montreal steals the puck and goes the other way for a goal. It will happen at the Olympics as well...

LEAVE MARNER AT HOME !!!!!

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Two things cemented in that game.

Carey is our starter come February 2022.

And Mitch Marner will never make a full strength Team Canada.

Nor should he. Typical new generation player. Just no heart whatsoever. Bring Danault instead at this point.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Two things cemented in that game.

Carey is our starter come February 2022.

And Mitch Marner will never make a full strength Team Canada.

Nor should he. Typical new generation player. Just no heart whatsoever. Bring Danault instead at this point.
I agree.

He fooled me during the regular season but never again.

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
Everyone who doubted price in this thread should give their heads a shake, especially considering how he played for canada.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Morgan Reilly should be nowhere near this team. I would still take Marner, but he’s gone from a lock to a bubble player for me

Rielly's okay. I would be fine with him on though it's not so easy.

Currently:

Theodore-Pietrangelo
Toews-Makar
Nurse-Doughty
Chabot-Hamilton
Girard

Pietrangelo, Nurse, Toews and Girard provide balance to the lineup without hurting the transition game.

What hurts Rielly is this team's riches in offensive powerhouses: Makar, Theodore, Hamilton, Chabot and a motivated Doughty is more than enough. I'd have to think Chabot is the odd man out for Rielly to catch, not much separating them but I like Chabot's profile with Hockey Canada to edge him forward. Hamilton is another on the brink, mostly because I'm not sure Team Canada loves him as much as the numbers (both raw and analytically based) suggest they should.

Alternatively, a good start for Aaron Ekblad could give the team an alternative path.

Reactions: snipes

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Rielly's okay. I would be fine with him on though it's not so easy.

Currently:

Theodore-Pietrangelo
Toews-Makar
Nurse-Doughty
Chabot-Hamilton
Girard

Pietrangelo, Nurse, Toews and Girard provide balance to the lineup without hurting the transition game.

What hurts Rielly is this team's riches in offensive powerhouses: Makar, Theodore, Hamilton, Chabot and a motivated Doughty is more than enough. I'd have to think Chabot is the odd man out for Rielly to catch, not much separating them but I like Chabot's profile with Hockey Canada to edge him forward. Hamilton is another on the brink, mostly because I'm not sure Team Canada loves him as much as the numbers (both raw and analytically based) suggest they should.

Alternatively, a good start for Aaron Ekblad could give the team an alternative path.
Maybe I watch too many Leaf games, but no Rielly for me.

I am NOT a fan of Hamilton but your D looks scary good.

Others have said Toews doesn't have the Hockey Canada background necessary to make the team but I hope he does.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Everyone who doubted price in this thread should give their heads a shake, especially considering how he played for canada.

I always had him on the list. No doubt. Still have Fleury there too. I have some concerns about Canada's future goaltending, but right now you've got at least two goalies who would be great in between the pipes on an already stacked team. It's all good.

Marner is a concern after this series. I keep waiting for him to step up his game in the postseason. Never has. He has so many things going for him to make this team. Is a natural right winger. Is a penalty killer. Is a puck possession type of player. But he just crumbles when the heat is on. I hate it. We'll see, but the 2021 playoffs are going to be that 2nd last straw to prove it to the bosses. The last straw is how you perform in the first couple of months in the season if you can redeem yourself. We already know Marner is a great regular season guy though.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I always had him on the list. No doubt. Still have Fleury there too. I have some concerns about Canada's future goaltending, but right now you've got at least two goalies who would be great in between the pipes on an already stacked team. It's all good.

Marner is a concern after this series. I keep waiting for him to step up his game in the postseason. Never has. He has so many things going for him to make this team. Is a natural right winger. Is a penalty killer. Is a puck possession type of player. But he just crumbles when the heat is on. I hate it. We'll see, but the 2021 playoffs are going to be that 2nd last straw to prove it to the bosses. The last straw is how you perform in the first couple of months in the season if you can redeem yourself. We already know Marner is a great regular season guy though.
If we're down a goal in the Gold Medal Game, Marner will be a liability, guaranteed. He'll make thing worse, not better.

It's not like we are lacking play makers. Just leave him home.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Marner is going to be an interesting one.

I still think he makes it even though I'm not a fan right now. He'll likely put up a lot of points early next season and that will likely win him a spot.

I don't think having him there or not is going to break Team Canada. They will easily push him down the lineup and just use his playmaking + PKing to create breathing room for the superstars.

On a brighter note, the Price is right. He should be on Team Canada cause the guy has ice in his veins with ample experience. Fleury + Price is a good tandem.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I'm still 50-50 on whether Marner makes the team. He certainly hasn't done himself any favours and probably played himself down the lineup to a more limited/lower pressure 4th line or 13th/14th forward role, but there could still be a roster spot for a player with his skillset, production, international experience, and PK ability. Or, Armstrong may opt for a much lower risk option. Comparatively, Huberdeau (a player who I consider to be roughly on the same tier as Marner, with similar strengths as a playmaking-oriented winger) had a much stronger playoff run. Huberdeau's lack of international experience still gives me pause, but personally I'd have no issue with him paired up with someone like MacKinnon in a Rantanen-type role in the top 6.

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
From what I see Barzal and Ekblad are most omitted players from the list of players that usually appears on projected rosters. I hope Seguin will start season hot and force his way into Olympic team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad