Nurse-Makar
Theodore-Ekblad
Chabot-Pietrangelo
Doughty

Girard-Hamilton
Toews-Letang
Pelech-Pulock
Weegar

I’m not convinced the second defense is that much worse. However, it seems like those players have nearly no chance to make it with few exceptions. I’d even argue players such as Rielly, Giordano, Burns, Weber are more likely than most of the second team defensemen.

I think the 1st group is a full level above. Makar alone brings so much talent. But, it’s nice to know if 7 D-men go down we can still ice a completely capable group.

I also feel like Chabot is being under valued. I think he’s a top pairing D-man on every other country.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I like most of your lineup.

I watch a ton of Leaf games. Maybe too many. For that reason, I don't want to see Tavares (who is there) or Reilly (who is not). Perhaps I watch them too much and I've picked the corpses dry - finding every little fault.

Tavares looks old for his age - he plays like he's 35.

Marner can't score so he needs a scorer on his other wing. I'd prefer Stamkos over Tavares and I don't like Stamkos.

Don't like Hamilton. If you are going to drop a RD, drop Hamilton.

No way Tavares and Marchand edges out Barzal and Point.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Disagree on Marchand - he has been amazing this year.

Plus no one will break up Marchand / Bergeron / Crosby.

You are presuming Bergeron is in no matter what, I'm not so sure. He's the oldest guy in consideration and while he has not declined by a lot, Point is in his prime. The line could easily be Barzal - Point - Crosby. For right now, I think this is a superior line against many of the top teams, certainly against the US.

We have to find solutions to new problems. It's not because past lines were solving old problems well that they will solve new problems well.

Overall think it's better to field a 3rd line with the same kinda speed as the first 2 lines, creating a very consistent speed deficit for every other team.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Highly unlikely that Point doesn't make it, imo. He had one of the better playoffs in recent memory last year, is a very strong 200 foot player, and has a good history with Hockey Canada. Unless he completely blows it this playoffs and early next season, he's in. If Armstrong passes him over it would be a huge mistake imo. We want players like him who are playoff tested and have come up big in the most important settings. Barzal is a little more debatable, but has a reasonable chance. Marchand is a lock of course.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Marchand easily makes the team regardless of his pairing with Bergeron. He's likely going to finish third in NHL scoring, is a natural LW, and an elite penalty killer. Bergeron belongs as well barring some huge drop in play. Point is a legitimate option as a fourth centre for Canada or thirteenth forward. He doesn't really have any weakness and is proven. I'd like Barzal to have a role too but I don't see him working on the wing and I'm not sure that he gets the probably single centre spot behind McDavid/MacKinnon/Crosby. I would definitely bring him if there is an option for a 14th forward.

Reactions: ORRFForever

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
In regards to Bergeron age, this team will be extremely young. Adding a guy who is still a very very top player, who is a payer that is known to have chemistry with Crosby, which is actually pretty rare, is a no brainer.

I’d rather have a guy who is slightly slower, but has also been there lots and lots of times. You want guys with composure, composure is built in the biggest games. Bergeron has done all the biggest games, a bunch of time. WJC, WHC, Olympics, Stanley Cups. The very very last issue this team has is scoring. Our 4th line would be any other teams 1st line.

Point and Barzal don’t bring what Bergeron brings.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Friedman wrote earlier in the week that there are "conversations" regarding Cooper coaching the Olympic team. I don't love it or hate it based on his track record internationally and in the NHL. As long as the coach isn't Crawford level bad I don't have an issue.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
In regards to Bergeron age, this team will be extremely young. Adding a guy who is still a very very top player, who is a payer that is known to have chemistry with Crosby, which is actually pretty rare, is a no brainer.

I’d rather have a guy who is slightly slower, but has also been there lots and lots of times. You want guys with composure, composure is built in the biggest games. Bergeron has done all the biggest games, a bunch of time. WJC, WHC, Olympics, Stanley Cups. The very very last issue this team has is scoring. Our 4th line would be any other teams 1st line.

Point and Barzal don’t bring what Bergeron brings.

There's room on the team for both Bergeron and Point (and maybe Barzal too).

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Marchand easily makes the team regardless of his pairing with Bergeron. He's likely going to finish third in NHL scoring, is a natural LW, and an elite penalty killer. Bergeron belongs as well barring some huge drop in play. Point is a legitimate option as a fourth centre for Canada or thirteenth forward. He doesn't really have any weakness and is proven. I'd like Barzal to have a role too but I don't see him working on the wing and I'm not sure that he gets the probably single centre spot behind McDavid/MacKinnon/Crosby. I would definitely bring him if there is an option for a 14th forward.
Point goes well with Marner and MacKinnon to recreate a line that played well together at the 2017 worlds, I see that as the third line

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Point goes well with Marner and MacKinnon to recreate a line that played well together at the 2017 worlds, I see that as the third line

Konecny was on that line, not MacKinnon. They did perform well together until the final game. I'd give Point better odds of making the team than Marner due to role though Marner is having an impressive season.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
There's room on the team for both Bergeron and Point (and maybe Barzal too).

Stone - McDavid - Marner
Bergeron - Crosby - Marchand
O’Reilly - MacKinnon - schieffle (my spelling sucks)

All locks, most likely, barring injury.

Hubby - natural winger, not loved by HC, so maybe unlikely. Playoffs will make or break
Stamkos - HC loves him, I don’t think he has a place
Tavares - many time HC hero. Playing in Toronto , has a good chance
Couterier - SPELLING - seems pretty popular around here. I frankly see him as a step down from Stone, Bergeron, and O’Rielly.
Point - super skilled and fast, pretty young, HC likes him.
Barzal - pretty flashy, but I made a post a page or so ago stating a case for him

I guess the roster size is bigger for the Olympics too, hey? 14 forwards? 8 D, 3 G?

Bring em all!!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You are presuming Bergeron is in no matter what, I'm not so sure. He's the oldest guy in consideration and while he has not declined by a lot, Point is in his prime. The line could easily be Barzal - Point - Crosby. For right now, I think this is a superior line against many of the top teams, certainly against the US.

We have to find solutions to new problems. It's not because past lines were solving old problems well that they will solve new problems well.

Overall think it's better to field a 3rd line with the same kinda speed as the first 2 lines, creating a very consistent speed deficit for every other team.
You make some good points, however, if I was in charge, I would include Bergeron. He is such an amazing 2 way player and his leadership/experience is invaluable.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Stone - McDavid - Marner
Bergeron - Crosby - Marchand
O’Reilly - MacKinnon - schieffle (my spelling sucks)

All locks, most likely, barring injury.

Hubby - natural winger, not loved by HC, so maybe unlikely. Playoffs will make or break
Stamkos - HC loves him, I don’t think he has a place
Tavares - many time HC hero. Playing in Toronto , has a good chance
Couterier - SPELLING - seems pretty popular around here. I frankly see him as a step down from Stone, Bergeron, and O’Rielly.
Point - super skilled and fast, pretty young, HC likes him.
Barzal - pretty flashy, but I made a post a page or so ago stating a case for him

I guess the roster size is bigger for the Olympics too, hey? 14 forwards? 8 D, 3 G?

Bring em all!!

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone like Logan Couture is at least considered. Low key one of the better playoff performers of this generation, but maybe time to move on from him. We're not super deep at LW or LHS centers.

Reactions: therealdeal

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You make some good points, however, if I was in charge, I would include Bergeron. He is such an amazing 2 way player and his leadership/experience is invaluable.

It's safe to include Bergeron, I think he's more a 4th liner at this point.

My preferred lines

Tavares - McDavid - Crosby
MacKinnon - Point - Marner
Huberdeau - Barzal - Scheifele
Couturier - Bergeron - ROR
Extra: Stone, Stamkos

It's the only time we'll see Huberdeau as Lafreniere will take his spot faster than he can say Hello and I don't see how Huberdeau can stay there. Mantha, Dubois, etc. there's plenty of good scorers in about the same category as Huberdeau, and they are not even in consideration. Sad Drouin isn't putting it together, we would need an LW Marner at some point.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Canada's only real weakness at forward is with shooters. A prime Seguin or Stamkos would be ideal in the sort of role that Seguin played as Giroux's triggerman at the 2015 IIHF WC. I'm not convinced of either of them at this point however as time and injuries erode their speed. I'd happily take early 2010s Stamkos or mid 2010s Seguin and staple that player to McDavid's right wing.

I agree but I don't think its a huge issue, we have a lot of 35 goal guys who can also pass. We don't seem to be developing pure shooters nowadays or they are centers.

If he is healthy, Stamkos will be on the 2022 team.

He can play all 3 offensive positions. He has a good shot to score on chances. He can play in almost any situation. Plus, he usually ranges between 53%-57% in the faceoff circle.

It is for these reasons I think Tavares will also probably make the team, or have a very good chance.

I see a lot of people picking Barzal (as one example). Has Barzal ever played the wing before? He certainly can't take faceoffs, as demonstrated by 41%-43% range the past few seasons. He doesn't kill penalties either.

Canada will take more than 4 centres.

But any additional centres they take will be ones who they can trust to play the wing, trust to play in defensive situations, and trust to take faceoffs if necessary.

Barzal doesn't really fit any of these three roles, so I could see Stamkos or Tavares being taken ahead of him.

We pick Barzal because he's the only player in a conversation with McDavid for speed, so having both (on top of Point, Marner, MacKinnon) on the team could create a new strategic state for team Canada (it's very hard to defend speed on every line because there are not enough fast Ds available to counter it). He can play center, with a guy like Crosby or Scheifele or X on his line taking the faceoffs. As usual, there will be 2 centers per line, on every line. We have enough centers for 3 teams.

We already know the US will connect Seth Jones to McDavid, but they would not have an answer on the 3rd pairing for Barzal (please no comment about Quinn Hughes being able to handle Barzal...lol). The only team that could defend a speed strategy is Sweden.

Last edited:

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I agree but I don't think its a huge issue, we have a lot of 35 goal guys who can also pass. We don't seem to be developing pure shooters nowadays or they are centers.

We pick Barzal because he's the only player in a conversation with McDavid for speed, so having both (on top of Point, Marner, MacKinnon) on the team could create a new strategic state for team Canada (it's very hard to defend speed on every line because there are not enough fast Ds available to counter it). He can play center, with a guy like Crosby or Scheifele or X on his line taking the faceoffs. As usual, there will be 2 centers per line, on every line. We have enough centers for 3 teams.

We already know the US will connect Seth Jones to McDavid, but they would not have an answer on the 3rd pairing for Barzal (please no comment about Quinn Hughes being able to handle Barzal...lol). The only team that could defend a speed strategy is Sweden.
If they plan to defend McDavid with Seth Jones, they’re going to have a very, very bad time…

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's safe to include Bergeron, I think he's more a 4th liner at this point.

My preferred lines

Tavares - McDavid - Crosby
MacKinnon - Point - Marner
Huberdeau - Barzal - Scheifele
Couturier - Bergeron - ROR
Extra: Stone, Stamkos

It's the only time we'll see Huberdeau as Lafreniere will take his spot faster than he can say Hello and I don't see how Huberdeau can stay there. Mantha, Dubois, etc. there's plenty of good scorers in about the same category as Huberdeau, and they are not even in consideration. Sad Drouin isn't putting it together, we would need an LW Marner at some point.
Not fussy on your lines, my friend.

We have 3 amazing centers (MacDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby) so why move them around?

I'd also keep Crosby / Bergeron / Marchand together.

No Tavares for me. Too old and slow.

Reactions: 780il

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Prior to this year, I didn't want Marner on Team Canada.

This year he's been amazing so I changed my mind.

Then I saw him screw up 5 seconds into O.T. against Ottawa and I remembered why I didn't want him on the team. :(

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Which defense is better?

Nurse-Makar
Theodore-Ekblad
Chabot-Pietrangelo
Doughty

Girard-Hamilton
Toews-Letang
Pelech-Pulock
Weegar

I’m not convinced the second defense is that much worse. However, it seems like those players have nearly no chance to make it with few exceptions. I’d even argue players such as Rielly, Giordano, Burns, Weber are more likely than most of the second team defensemen.
Team A is better.

If I was choosing...

With our forwards, I'm not sure we need too much offensive production from the back end.

With our goaltending, or lack thereof, I'd lean towards defensive players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->