Team Branding Thread (Logo, Colors, Uniforms, etc.)

What should the Seattle NHL franchise be called?

• Total voters

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Seattle Sea Lions with a green, white and gold color scheme ala Sonics

Klgr3wX_d.jpg

I’m still hoping they go green and blue, but that’s a pretty beautiful jersey.

My only issue with the sea lions name is the double “Sea” in the name sounds weird to me

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
A new identity for the region possibly, separating from the green and blue, is a way to look at it. With 32 teams color scheme crossover is inevitable keeping marketing in mind.

I just can’t wrap my head around how distancing yourself from the regions sports fans makes sense. You think of Seattle sports, you think of bright green and blue. Why would you want to try and establish a new identity when you’re like the 3rd biggest sport in town? Just take the free marketing, and keep the fans happy.

And it’s not like red and black is more unique around the league (New Jersey, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Arizona, Ottawa, etc) than green and blue. The closest to green and blue is Dallas, and they’re just green, or Vancouver with blue and green.

Same if they go with Sonics colours. It’s unique, and a part of the city.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
This discussion has start to pick up steam recently. Really good interview with Louie Gong, who is an artist from the Noosack Tribe:

NHL Seattle possibly looking to incorporate indigenous art into team logo

Seattle will soon have another professional team to root for with hockey arriving for the 2021-22 season. Nobody knows what the team’s name will be, but there is some buzz building that it will have ties with Seattle's indigenous roots.

It’s no secret that native people have not had a good history with some sports teams. When it comes to the Seattle Seahawks, the issue is a little different.

“Native people love the Seahawks, the Seahawks logo is derivative of northwest coast style art,” explained Nooksack tribal member Louie Gong. “It’s probably the image most responsible for this misleading narrative.”

Seattle’s logo is based on an indigenous mask, but that mask is linked to native art with roots in Alaska, not with Seattle-area tribes. That style of art was forced on local indigenous people for hundreds of years. It started when white settlers arrived in Seattle and pushed Northwest Coast art.

“Coast Salish people and art were pushed out of Seattle and in their place settlers put up what they thought looked cool, which were totem poles, and over years and years a market developed for northwest coast art,” said Gong.

“Coast Salish art can look a lot of different ways but what’s most common is the oval and the crescent.”
There are a number of artists in the community that could work on the project and contribute to making sure this important art form is shared.
“The NHL team has an amazing opportunity to not just respect indigenous peoples if they choose to use a native aesthetic or native themes,” said Gong.
Gong still sells Northwest Coast art in his store and says it deserves to be appreciated but wants to make sure everyone is educated on its heritage and that of local artists.
“I'm personally excited because I think Seattle's team has an awareness of Coast Salish art and has an opportunity to validate the presence of the indigenous art of Seattle that's never been done before.”

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Regardless of team name or colors. When the official name and logo are announced , the franchise should immediately retire the #7,
for the 7th man on the ice. Welcoming the fans to the loudest barn in the NHL .

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Regardless of team name or colors. When the official name and logo are announced , the franchise should immediately retire the #7,

I’m not sure I’d retire it immediately, but it definitely makes sense to not let any players take it the first year. See how things go, and then decide if you want to do it

Reactions: periferal

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The Canucks don't seem like a good reason to avoid the colors that represent the city of Seattle like the blues, greens, silvers, etc.. The Canucks are known to change uniforms and even colors in their history. Plus the other major league teams in Vancouver use a wide range of colors. Hell, the Lions are orange. Whitecaps are light blue and white. The Grizzlies were random 90s colors. There's not really a common theme like the one that kind of exists in Seattle.

I've always liked navy blue and light blue as colors and feel like they'd fit in well with the city, but that might be a little too Whitecappy.

Definitely no red. Please, no red. :laugh:

Seattle is a city that's defined by its environment almost as much as any other city I've visited or lived in, I think it's a mistake to not have the colors represent that.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Interesting. I’d assume that means we can probably put the horrid Kraken name to bed. Sockeyes would definitely fit with this idea
Sockeyes is fine, I suppose. It's a Maple Leafs/Leaves situation though, since the plural of sockeye is usually sockeye. I suppose we could call each individual a sockeye and consider them sockeyes when talked about. :laugh:

I'm still a big fan of Evergreens, which I know is a fairly unpopular option. Plus, I'm always a huge Sparky advocate:

Sea Lions is fine too, but if staying away from "confusion" with Vancouver is an issue, you've got to consider the BC Lions, which sounds a lot like B. Sea Lions in conversation.

Reactions: The Nuge

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

My only issue with the sea lions name is the double “Sea” in the name sounds weird to me

Works well for the Seahawks. :)

Hopefully they can make it loud, I'm a little nervous with the high ceiling at the arena and how the acoustics will work. That's a lot of extra space to fill with noise. For $800,000,000 I'm guessing they'll figure out how to mitigate that issue though.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
Navy blue / light blue screams Winnipeg to me. I'm all for something different if the right combination can be found.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Wouldn’t green and blue be too similar to the Canucks?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This doesn't necessary rule out any names. Its just a possibility that the logo could involve Indigenous art.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wouldn’t green and blue be too similar to the Canucks?

There are lots of variations and colour schemes that could be used to avoid that issue. There's already been a lot of jersey templates swirling and they aren't that close to what he Canucks are using. They'll be fine, just hope they use the colours properly.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
No, but certain names fit it a LOT better, so it’s probably a good indication of how they’re leaning
They could also incorporate it into a secondary/shoulder logo and just have it work with a "standard" logo. However, with the red and black motif in their marketing efforts and the fact that red and black are the most prominent colors in most native art in the Pacific Northwest, I think we're definitely getting pointed in a certain direction.

I just hope they pull it off well. It's an art form that is generally very complex and detailed, which doesn't usually work well with logos.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Dave Tippett on Softy for tuesdayswithtip said they went from 700 names and are down to 100 names.

Feb 24, 2017
Green and yellow would be f***ing awesome

I loved the SuperSonics back in the day, due equal parts to colour scheme, Reign Man, Glove, Detlef, and even George there on the sidelines

I hated it that they let them leave

Teams with major championships should never be let to relocate

Reactions: Puckrobber

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Green and yellow would be ****ing awesome

I loved the SuperSonics back in the day, due equal parts to colour scheme, Reign Man, Glove, Detlef, and even George there on the sidelines

I hated it that they let them leave

Teams with major championships should never be let to relocate

Green and yellow are already ruled out by the group themselves. They are saving it for the NBA if a team returns.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I voted Totems, and hope they do embrace the strong Native American culture throughout the region. By that, I hope the reports are true that they will specifically try to utilize the Salish style of art, and not Haida or Tlingit styles from Alaska/BC. If they follow through with that, I can't see how this wouldn't be embraced by regional tribal communities the way they've celebrated the Seahawks style. Their art and style is too beautiful to not be incorporated in some way, IMO.

As far as the team name and logo though, I wouldn't object to putting a Salish spin on what AK-Anchorage has going on with their Seawolves name and logo... even if it is shameless copying to some degree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad