Confirmed with Link: TEAM 1040: Linden Vey To Accept Qualifying Offer of $735,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
No room for him on the Kings. Not the same as Dalpe at all. If Vey were to fail this year then he'd be in Dalpe's shoes when we got him. 4th rounder that had earned his way to an NHL role is much different than a 1st rounder surviving on draft status.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
He's 1.5 years older and the Canucks acquired him almost a year ago.

Vey is essentially the same age as Dalpe was when the Canucks acquired him (23 with 3 years of pro experience). Their stat lines in the AHL are also pretty similar with Vey scoring 0.82 pts/g vs. Dalpe's 0.77.

There stat lines may be similar but Dalpe's numbers have been getting worse (had his best year in the ahl 4 years ago), while Vey's have been going up every year. It would appear that one player had completely stalled in development while the other has been improving. That's not a small difference imo

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
I see that the Kings took McKeown with the pick. I saw some posters saying that they wanted him at 36. Mckenzie had him ranked at 25. Seems like he fell a long way.

How does this colour the trade for Vey?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
He's 1.5 years older and the Canucks acquired him almost a year ago.

Vey is essentially the same age as Dalpe was when the Canucks acquired him (23 with 3 years of pro experience). Their stat lines in the AHL are also pretty similar with Vey scoring 0.82 pts/g vs. Dalpe's 0.77.

But look at Vey's progression at the AHL level compared to Dalpe. Vey is trending forward in a big way - Dalpe, not so much...

Carolina fans couldn't care less when they lost Dalpe. King fans are high on Vey. I put a ton of stock into the fans that follow these guys closely, something nobody on this board has done to the same degree.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
There stat lines may be similar but Dalpe's numbers have been getting worse (had his best year in the ahl 4 years ago), while Vey's have been going up every year. It would appear that one player had completely stalled in development while the other has been improving. That's not a small difference imo

Kings seem to have a good history on developing prospects. Canes? eh, they're probably worse than the Canucks in that regard.:laugh:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Absolutely. With prospects trajectory is everything. Vey is trending in the right direction, Dalpe in the wrong direction. Makes all the difference.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I like the acquisition of vey and that our coach knows him well. I just feel perhaps we paid a premium for a player with 18 nhl games, especially when it was common knowledge there was no room for him in la.

But it is what it is...... Haha glad to have him hope he does well and mckeown doesn't make us regret it

I thought Vey was very good every time I saw him play in the NHL. Very active on both ends of the ice. I could see him being an Andrew Shaw-like presence on our 3rd line.

If we had drafted McKeown and traded 67 for Vey, I would have much preferred that.

But maybe they had Tryamkin rated highly...

As for Vey vs Dalpe.. No question Vey is the better player, imo. Way more active on the ice every time I've seen him. Dalpe can't play the game at this level yet (speed-wise/in terms of decision making), and it's very clear.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I see what Benning is doing here. Our system has a huge void around Vey's age group from poor drafting. He's basically paying a bit of a premium for a redo in the 08-09 range. This isn't our only void, but it's still there.

I consider successful drafting having promising players in each age group. Too many picks in one draft makes a logjam. No flow to the prospect tunnel.

If I'm not mistaken, LA had a ton of picks around the 07-09 seasons? Were seeing the result of their logjam.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I don't know, I could be wrong, but I'm going to go ahead and trust Wiilie Dejardins on this one.

Call me crazy.

You're crazy!

...accurate in your assessment. This is a guy the coach knows and trusts. Maybe a bit poor value on the trade, but if the coach things he's a good fit, either we have faith in the new coach, or we are so jaded we should just find a new hobby...

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Was a big Dalpe fan before last year. Followed him in Carolina a bit. Felt he was ready to contribute. Watching him last year I see an ineffective NHLer. Soft, poor back check, easily knocked off the puck, and no offensive instincts.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I see that the Kings took McKeown with the pick. I saw some posters saying that they wanted him at 36. Mckenzie had him ranked at 25. Seems like he fell a long way.

How does this colour the trade for Vey?

The Kings saw McKeown on the board and it motivated them to make the trade. If anything, it reflects positively on Vey.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

But look at Vey's progression at the AHL level compared to Dalpe. Vey is trending forward in a big way - Dalpe, not so much...

Carolina fans couldn't care less when they lost Dalpe. King fans are high on Vey. I put a ton of stock into the fans that follow these guys closely, something nobody on this board has done to the same degree.

Yeah, I think Vey is clearly the better asset. It's just worth noting that a guy who looked pretty lost in the NHL in Dalpe has had a similar career trajectory so far.

We'll see how he looks next year but it's really make or break time for him given that he's the same age as Kassian and Schroeder and hasn't even begun to establish himself at the NHL level. Especially since he's waiver eligible.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
If I'm not mistaken, when we acquired Dalpe, he was no longer highly regarded at all, and was moved by the Canes with no hesitation at all. Basically given away, bc they saw nothing in the kid.

Again, if I'm not mistaken, the general sentiment with Vey is that he is still highly regarded by the Kings, and bc of their impressive center ice depth, he was moved (apparently with some trepidation on the Kings part).

That would seem to make it a much different scenario..

Of course, I could be wrong in that, really, the Canes were broken hearted at the thought of losing Dalpe, and the Kings meanwhile are thrilled to be out from under Vey's contract.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If I'm not mistaken, when we acquired Dalpe, he was no longer highly regarded at all, and was moved by the Canes with no hesitation at all. Basically given away, bc they saw nothing in the kid.

Again, if I'm not mistaken, the general sentiment with Vey is that he is still highly regarded by the Kings, and bc of their impressive center ice depth, he was moved (apparently with some trepidation on the Kings part).

That would seem to make it a much different scenario..

Of course, I could be wrong in that, really, the Canes were broken hearted at the thought of losing Dalpe, and the Kings meanwhile are thrilled to be out from under Vey's contract.

Yeah but that's mostly a product of Dalpe getting his shot in the NHL and Vey not getting it. One was a guy who looked like he might not have what it takes and the other only has 18 NHL games. Could still turn out to not have what it takes.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yeah, I think Vey is clearly the better asset. It's just worth noting that a guy who looked pretty lost in the NHL in Dalpe has had a similar career trajectory so far.

We'll see how he looks next year but it's really make or break time for him given that he's the same age as Kassian and Schroeder and hasn't even begun to establish himself at the NHL level. Especially since he's waiver eligible.

Don't agree with this. Vey is tending up in a big way - Dalpe in the opposite direction.

I agree he needs to show a lot next season and based on what I've read/heard, I think he's a good bet to do just that. This team is desperate for a guy with his skill - not to mention the complete void of players in his age range.

Cautiously optimistic. We NEED an infusion of skill.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I see what Benning is doing here. Our system has a huge void around Vey's age group from poor drafting. He's basically paying a bit of a premium for a redo in the 08-09 range. This isn't our only void, but it's still there.

I consider successful drafting having promising players in each age group. Too many picks in one draft makes a logjam. No flow to the prospect tunnel.

If I'm not mistaken, LA had a ton of picks around the 07-09 seasons? Were seeing the result of their logjam.

Yup... I think you nailed it. And a logjam at centre will allow us to move guys like Vey in the future as their value increases.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I guess he's our #3 center then? Not really sure who takes the tough matchups for us as neither Bonino nor a rookie is a guy you want against quality opposition players.

Kings fans say he was better on the wing at the NHL level. He's also pretty mediocre on the draws. I think we're looking at a winger.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
omgggg we could have had roland mckeown!!!!! this guy is first round material!!!! i would have used pick 36 on him.

sooo dissapointed

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
Because he's still not an upgrade on Santorelli who they're letting go. He can only play centre.

Personally, I feel like he's an AHL lifer who won't stick in the NHL. Similar type of future to Andrei Laktionov, except he went for a 5th.

God, you've been butthurt all draft long eh?

I would take Vey over Santo anyways. Santo has only ever played well in contract years, not once, or twice but thrice now.

So give it a break lol. I haven't seen you say a single positive thing and your a mod on this forum.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't see how. They're in the same exact situation, other than the team's reputation. Dalpe dominated the AHL in much the same way.

Except Dalpe when acquired had already been given extensive time in the NHL with Carolina with very little to no success. Linden Vey has been stuck behind a much deeper center core in LA and should get a great chance to prove himself here in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad