Confirmed with Link: TEAM 1040: Linden Vey To Accept Qualifying Offer of $735,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm sure you guys will like Vey a lot. His style reminds me of Justin Williams, where there's nothing exceptional about him, but he puts it all together so well. Good vision and puck protection ability.

Victim of numbers at center here in LA, but he's certainly NHL ready now.

Good luck and enjoy him!

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Santorelli played like a 1st liner last season. Even if he regresses, that's probably more than Vey will ever accomplish.

But he also had like 15 points over his previous 100 games. Benning is obviously trying to assemble a younger core group - and there are only so many areas he can open up roster spots to do that. Wouldn't have a problem with Santo - but he will be 29 early next season. He's nothing more than a place-holder for a team like the Canucks...

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I don't know, I could be wrong, but I'm going to go ahead and trust Wiilie Dejardins on this one.

Call me crazy.

arshonagon

Nov 16, 2009
Victoria, BC
how does vey compare to dalpe?

I would say Dalpe was more of a reclamation project (didn't develop as origally thought he would, still had skill to try and coerce out of him), while Vey is more a victim of depth (developed well and has shown NHL ready skill, just on a team stacked at his position).

I would say it would be like comparing Barker and Stanton. Barker we got as a reclamation project as he didn't live up to potential and develop well. Stanton we got because Chicago had too much depth and had to cut somebody.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Linden-Vey's NHL stat line from last year:

18GP
5A
1pp assist
1sh assist
8 shots
12:08 toi/game
44.4% faceoffs

2 special teams points, nice :yo:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I would say Dalpe was more of a reclamation project (didn't develop as origally thought he would, still had skill to try and coerce out of him)

I don't see how. They're in the same exact situation, other than the team's reputation. Dalpe dominated the AHL in much the same way.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Dalpe's more versatile, better scorer, worse playmaker. Similar production in the AHL given the different teams. Cost us less to acquire.

(And really that's the issue... I don't see Vey as being worth the 2nd.)

Yup, and we got absolutely no value out of that 4th rd pick whatsoever. Complete throw away of assets.

Vey has a better shot at giving this organization some quality minutes. I am expecting a considerable upgrade on what we saw out of Dalpe and Schroeder.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yup, and we got absolutely no value out of that 4th rd pick whatsoever. Complete throw away of assets.

Vey has a better shot at giving this organization some quality minutes. I am expecting a considerable upgrade on what we saw out of Dalpe and Schroeder.

Based on what though?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Vey will get a real long look in camp, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get one of the third or fourth line center spots.

Meaning that our four centers going into next year are likely

Sedin
Bonino
Matthias
Vey

Provided they don't want to start Horvat in the NHL in October.

So, not exactly overwhelming center depth, but an extreme about-face from the start of last season.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Oh wait, we gave up a 2nd. Nevermind. Thought it was a 3rd.

On the fence about this move.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Decent numbers in 18 games last year with limited minutes. Looks a bit like the Stanton pickup where you get a good player from a team stacked at that position.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I like the acquisition of vey and that our coach knows him well. I just feel perhaps we paid a premium for a player with 18 nhl games, especially when it was common knowledge there was no room for him in la.

But it is what it is...... Haha glad to have him hope he does well and mckeown doesn't make us regret it

OTP Legend*

Dalpe's more versatile, better scorer, worse playmaker. Similar production in the AHL given the different teams. Cost us less to acquire.

(And really that's the issue... I don't see Vey as being worth the 2nd.)

Not directly attacking you, but why do you value a 2nd round draft pick higher than someone that was taken ~ 40 picks later 5 years ago? SO many people do it (especially around the draft) and it really doesn't make sense to me.

LA drafted the kid, and developed him over the 5 years. His development curve has been extremely positive since being drafted.. He's pretty much a lock to become a NHL regular. Top 6 offensive potential, responsible in both ends and can win draws.

Doesn't positive development and getting a player NHL ready now hold more value than a kid being developed for 4-5 years before he gets a sniff with the Canucks?

2nd round picks are FAR from being locks to make the NHL. From the 2005 draft 2nd round, just over 25% of the selections have played more than 200 games. HALF of them played 1 NHL game or less.

Take the NHL ready player over developing a kid for 4 years IMO.

mmymryk

Jun 7, 2011
Well,he has much better AHL numbers than Schroeder who's currently our only 2C option so they must have plans for him.Big Willie apparently coached him in Medicine Hat so he must have liked him.

So we trade Garrison,rights to Costello,and next years 7th for him...I hope he pans out.

add a $4.6 Million free agent to this trade.

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. However it just seems like the overall sentiment is extremely negative around here. Things will never change

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Dalpe's 2 years older

Dalpe was drafted a year earlier. We acquired him a year earlier. They're in the same exact situation.

Why do you value a 2nd round draft pick higher than someone that was taken ~ 40 picks later 5 years ago? SO many people do it and it really doesn't make sense to me.

LA drafted the kid, and developed him over the 5 years. His development curve has been extremely positive since being drafted.. He's pretty much a lock to become a NHL regular. Top 6 offensive potential, responsible in both ends and can win draws.

Doesn't positive development and getting a player NHL ready now hold more value than a kid being developed for 4-5 years before he gets a sniff with the Canucks?

From the 2005 draft 2nd round, just over 25% of the selections have played more than 200 games. HALF of them played 1 NHL game or less.

Take the NHL ready player over developing a kid for 4 years anyday IMO.

If I thought Vey could contribute, great. I don't think he will. Just IMO.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
They didn't like Garrisons game. We will keep tabs on him in the X Canuck thread. Then we will see who eats crow
If he gets to play the left side all the time - unlike the situation here last season - and doesn't have a partner who's played like Edler - I think the chances are good he'll have a rebound season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. However it just seems like the overall sentiment is extremely negative around here. Things will never change

Or it seems you just want to see that while ignoring the number of people posting that they actually like the trade.

I'd rather have this guy in the lineup that sign an overpaid, injury prone Bolland (on a lengthy contract). Sign Santo as well and have all three (Bonino) battle it out for 2 center spots (good to have depth anyhow in case of injuries and such).

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Dalpe's 2 years older

He's 1.5 years older and the Canucks acquired him almost a year ago.

Vey is essentially the same age as Dalpe was when the Canucks acquired him (23 with 3 years of pro experience). Their stat lines in the AHL are also pretty similar with Vey scoring 0.82 pts/g vs. Dalpe's 0.77.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Based on what though?

The people that have watched him play think he's easily an NHL player. And that he's ready for a breakout season. I put stock into the opinions of fans that follow these guys closely...

Linden Vey is a better prospect than Zac Dalpe. I think this will become clear very early on next season. Dalpe couldn't crack a putrid Carolina forward corps, or the top 9 of a brutal Canuck group. I fully expect Vey to do so next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad