Proposal: TDL Thread

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I've posted about it already.

Chicago can absorb that cap hit, without sending anything back so they're a potential trade partner.

If Vegas wants LTIR relief, Chicago can send them Shaw and Khaira. Or even Murphy for that matter. Though I wouldn't move Murphy unless the return is good.
Dadonov and a second for Borgstrom boom done

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Powers wrote an article yesterday detailing his thoughts on Strome (and Kubalik's) future here. Basically, he thinks that having either of them on the roster next year will hurt the tank next season and thus our chances at one of the top 3 picks for 2023. And unlike a younger guy like Reichel, neither of them are expected to stick around long term.

Sure, you could potentially recoup an asset or two by trading them at next year's deadline, but there wasn't a market for either guy at this year's TD, so even if their value improves, we might only be talking a 2nd or 3rd round pick for each of them at best. There is a debate to be had whether those POTENTIAL picks would hold more value than going from, say, the 3rd best odds at the lottery to the 7th best odds. Plus the Hawks would have upwards of $10m next year where they can take on some cap dumps for futures if neither guy is re-signed.

So, according to Powers, be prepared for neither guy to be re-signed and for the Hawks to purposely ice as bad of a roster as they can next year (save for playing some kids they feel are ready for 'the show') in an attempt to land one of the big ones for the 2023 draft. Shit is gonna be ugly to watch next season.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I doubt Strome or Kubalik would have noticeably less value in the offseason than they did on Monday. Just because they're not yet signed doesn't mean they're not controllable assets. I'd expect the same ballpark value of some 2nd's and 3rd's for both of them if we trade them in the offseason.

Or we can sign them to shorter term RFA contracts and trade them in the next season or two as well. We're already a VERY bad team with Strome and Kubalik, even when we had Fleury. The window to cash in on their value isn't closed

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Powers wrote an article yesterday detailing his thoughts on Strome (and Kubalik's) future here. Basically, he thinks that having either of them on the roster next year will hurt the tank next season and thus our chances at one of the top 3 picks for 2023. And unlike a younger guy like Reichel, neither of them are expected to stick around long term.

Sure, you could potentially recoup an asset or two by trading them at next year's deadline, but there wasn't a market for either guy at this year's TD, so even if their value improves, we might only be talking a 2nd or 3rd round pick for each of them at best. There is a debate to be had whether those POTENTIAL picks would hold more value than going from, say, the 3rd best odds at the lottery to the 7th best odds. Plus the Hawks would have upwards of $10m next year where they can take on some cap dumps for futures if neither guy is re-signed.

So, according to Powers, be prepared for neither guy to be re-signed and for the Hawks to purposely ice as bad of a roster as they can next year (save for playing some kids they feel are ready for 'the show') in an attempt to land one of the big ones for the 2023 draft. Shit is gonna be ugly to watch next season.
Honestly that's one of the stupidest things Powers has ever wrote.

Kubalik I understand. If there's no market for him, let him walk. He's not worth re-signing.

But Dylan Strome? The GBOAT?

Literally who the f*** is going to play center next year? Dylan Strome is the glue that holds this team together. If you let him walk, DeBrincat and Kane will be demanding KD to be traded.

Strome is the most liked guy in that locker room. He's the heart and soul of the Chicago Blackhawks. The man deserves an 8 year extension.
FOjUorRVIAMIIVB

Reactions: ColbyChaos

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Vegas not being on top of one of their player's clauses/conditions for their contract is bush-league. This was a fun team to root for in 2018 but since then they've gotten worse and worse. Trading away depth for star power that they didn't need, now they're too injured to keep it close and will miss the playoffs most likely.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Kubalik I understand. If there's no market for him, let him walk. He's not worth re-signing.

Literally who the f*** is going to play center next year? Dylan Strome is the glue that holds this team together. If you let him walk, DeBrincat and Kane will be demanding KD to be traded.

Strome is the most liked guy in that locker room. He's the heart and soul of the Chicago Blackhawks. The man deserves an 8 year extension.
FOjUorRVIAMIIVB
Kane asking for a trade would help with the tank. Cat can ask, but that doesn't mean he'd move.

About who would play center, Toews, Dach, maybe Reichel. Even if all three suck next year at center, that only helps the tank.

Prepare yourself for potential heartache, Musto.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Kane asking for a trade would help with the tank. Cat can ask, but that doesn't mean he'd move.

About who would play center, Toews, Dach, maybe Reichel. Even if all three suck next year at center, that only helps the tank.

At this point, I get the sense CHI is more likely to move DeBrincat than not. I also don't think they'll necessarily ask Toews or Kane to waive but neither will be brought back at the end of their deals. That's just my feeling. They would get a ridiculous haul for DeBrincat if they trade him in the off-season and you know GMs are going to call about him with another year at 6.4M.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Strome can play center, he's just meant to be in a bum slayer role with easier matchups...the problem is the Hawks are razor thin and the overall team performance exposes Strome's weaknesses more...Stick Strome on that 2015 or 2013 team with Kane and they are a legit line...Beaver and Zus were not much more effective defensively but the lines were still important piece to those teams...the Versteeg-Richards-Kane line wasn't exactly a defensive juggernaut

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

With Strome, Kane, and Cat gone, the locker room becomes a disaster.

Loser culture and mentality will permeate the locker room for years.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Strome and Cat aren't winners. Neither of them have won anything in their careers. They went to the Mem Cup Final, lost. Strome played in two WJCs; losing in the Final at one and not even medaling at the other. DeBrincat played in one WJC with a US team that didn't reach the gold medal game despite having a ridiculously talented roster and then wasn't even invited back to the team the following year as a would-be returning player. In the NHL, neither have been a part of a team that's had a winning record in their entire careers.

None of that's to say you can't win with Stome/DeBrincat. I think you definitely can with DeBrincat. But you're definitely not losing any winning pedigree if they're gone.

I think the only way you keep the loser culture from overtaking the room is by being really patient with the development of our young players, who aren't projectable stars. You can't just ice a team of kids. That'd be a disaster. We need a roster of hard-working, low-maintenance vets to be here and lose. Then you sprinkle in some kids over time, once they're bordering on over-ripened in the AHL. Hopefully, all the while, your farm team is strong so that the developing players are playing meaningful hockey. And then hopefully, while your NHL team is bad and the vets are enduring the suffering, you get a couple high-end players from lottery balls that can jump into your roster right away and get you going in the right direction.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

The loser’s culture has been here for years, led by Toews not giving a single solitary f***. Getting rid of all of these garbage vets is how we get rid of that culture.

• Haha
Reactions: Muffinalt

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

Honestly, if they can get say 2 firsts for Kane this offseason should he waive, I honestly wouldn’t care if we got nothing for Strome and Kubalik. That would basically set us up for the next two drafts.

Obviously try to get something if possible

Reactions: Putt Pirate

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Honestly, if they can get say 2 firsts for Kane this offseason should he waive, I honestly wouldn’t care if we got nothing for Strome and Kubalik. That would basically set us up for the next two drafts.

Obviously try to get something if possible
For me it's rough because I know that both those guys SHOULD have value and to see them potentially go for nothing would hurt, but truth is that neither seems to hold all that much value to other GMs; Strome is too much of a defensive liability and is insanely inconsistent, and Kubalik has been bad this year.

I agree that Kane being traded would lesson the sting of not getting a return for them, but if we were to trade Kaner in the off-season (early enough in the off-season), I could see that potentially helping Strome and Kubalik stay here a bit longer. Like I said in my post you commented on, the concern is that both those guys would help this team win too many games next season while not having enough value to get anything decent at the TD, but Kane being gone would have a bigger impact on the performance (or lack thereof) for the team next season, which could make it easier to stomach keeping Strome and Kubalik without worrying that they'd screw up the tank.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010

FOjUorRVIAMIIVB

How is Strome not "The DREAMBOAT"?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig