TD Garden installing new scoreboard.....finally

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Did the Bruins cut up the old one into 4?
upload_2021-8-6_22-8-34.png

The old board served us well from 2007

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I know I am with the many here who are overjoyed that this is the summer arena upgrade they chose to make. I mean, a new ice plant is cool, but next to a fancy state-of-the-art scoreboard? Pffft.

I have been told that along with the new scoreboard and sound system TD Garden is installing a new dehumidification system this summer similar to the one being used in Tampa.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Zamboni is the “preferred partner’’ of the NHL.but.....The Bruins were the fifth team to adopt the Olympia machines. The Carolina Hurricanes, St. Louis Blues, Vancouver Canucks, and Washington Capitals also use Olympias.

In the past, Toronto, Los Angeles, Calgary, and Montreal have used Olympia machines, but they have since gone back to Zambonis.

2 months ago when it was 117 F in Vegas the ice was perfect - granted there was no humidity.

gettyimages-1180777362.jpg

During the playoffs, Dale kept calling the resurfacer at TD a Zamboni and was told in no uncertain terms to call it an Olympia. To me, the key is 3 Canadian teams switched back.

I am taking an educated guess that the reason the scoreboard is being done now is their contract with the NCAA for the Frozen Four demanded an upgrade.

Lol maybe I’m dumb, but I always thought that’s what the machine itself is called? A zamboni. Y’know, the ice thingy.

Mind you I still call the Skydome in Toronto, well, the Skydome. I don’t really care if it’s been renamed 9 times. That’s what it’s called in my head.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Lol maybe I’m dumb, but I always thought that’s what the machine itself is called? A zamboni. Y’know, the ice thingy.

Mind you I still call the Skydome in Toronto, well, the Skydome. I don’t really care if it’s been renamed 9 times. That’s what it’s called in my head.
Kind of like how people call all tissues Kleenex, even if it's Puffs or store brand.

Zamboni is a brand name.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I have been told that along with the new scoreboard and sound system TD Garden is installing a new dehumidification system this summer similar to the one being used in Tampa.
Is this in addition to or instead of a new ice plant?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Wait, they are not supposed to care about the Bruins or the facility they play in.

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't know what the big deal is between Olympia vs Zamboni, seems like the real issue in ice conditions is related to the ice plant/refrigeration and the air handling of temperature/humidity.

Reactions: BTO and Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Let's see if the new dehumidification system makes things better.

Hopefully it will. Boston may not be the hottest of places but being on the coast I would imagine the average humidity is still reasonably high. Lowering the temperature, even on a warm day, is comparatively easy as long as you have sufficiently effective cooling units to simply keep pumping in cold air. But humidity is more challenging because to reduce it you're actually needing to take water vapour particles out of the air, and that moisture is great at turning ice to slush. I've had a bit of a look at Tampa's system at Amalie and it seems pretty advanced. They also claim it's quite energy efficient, and most importantly they do appear to maintain surprisingly good ice down there even in the summer months. So by all accounts it works.

I wouldn't consider it a panacea, or a full substitute for actually replacing the ice plant, but if they do put in the effort and money to get it right at TD, then a better dehumidification system could actually make a big difference in improving ice conditions, as well as just making the arena a nicer place to be for the fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad