TD Garden installing new scoreboard.....finally

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Part of me likes it, and part of me thinks it's way over the top.

Seeing as how I'll likely never see it in person, guess it doesn't matter lol

I miss the old boards

1-1%20Placeholder.webp

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I wonder how long it will be before nobody knows how to tell time on a watch dial anymore

Kids cant do it now, what are you talking about.

I know of teenagers who only use calculators for math.
You tell them they cant use a calc and they tell you they cant do anything.

Have been told that by several kids over the past 10 years.

Its concerning to me.

Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Kids cant do it now, what are you talking about.

I know of teenagers who only use calculators for math.
You tell them they cant use a calc and they tell you they cant do anything.

Have been told that by several kids over the past 10 years.

Its concerning to me.
I still count on my fingers for basic math and then check it with a calculator haha. I was never good in math so I have a legit excuse haha.

I used to use my TI83 to play games or stash formulas for tests

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Zamboni is the “preferred partner’’ of the NHL.but.....The Bruins were the fifth team to adopt the Olympia machines. The Carolina Hurricanes, St. Louis Blues, Vancouver Canucks, and Washington Capitals also use Olympias.

In the past, Toronto, Los Angeles, Calgary, and Montreal have used Olympia machines, but they have since gone back to Zambonis.

2 months ago when it was 117 F in Vegas the ice was perfect - granted there was no humidity.

gettyimages-1180777362.jpg

During the playoffs, Dale kept calling the resurfacer at TD a Zamboni and was told in no uncertain terms to call it an Olympia. To me, the key is 3 Canadian teams switched back.

I am taking an educated guess that the reason the scoreboard is being done now is their contract with the NCAA for the Frozen Four demanded an upgrade.

So forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there a known difference between how an Olympia and Zamboni resurfaces the ice or is this just a pattern that people are noticing about the ice conditions?

That's like really interesting to me and it seems everyone here knows something I don't about the two machines. o_O

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I still count on my fingers for basic math and then check it with a calculator haha. I was never good in math so I have a legit excuse haha.

I used to use my TI83 to play games or stash formulas for tests
I used to enter numbers that spelled words if you turned the calculator upside down :laugh:

I hate math.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there a known difference between how an Olympia and Zamboni resurfaces the ice or is this just a pattern that people are noticing about the ice conditions?

That's like really interesting to me and it seems everyone here knows something I don't about the two machines. o_O

I've heard from guys who have driven both that the Olympia is plug and play, any idiot can drive them. The blade is bolted on and the adjustment is automatic, whereas the Zamboni's blade is spring mounted and adjusted by hand. Bottom line, they said an experienced driver can get far better ice out of the Zamboni's manual adjustments, but the Olympia is easier for beginners.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
I've heard from guys who have driven both that the Olympia is plug and play, any idiot can drive them. The blade is bolted on and the adjustment is automatic, whereas the Zamboni's blade is spring mounted and adjusted by hand. Bottom line, they said an experienced driver can get far better ice out of the Zamboni's manual adjustments, but the Olympia is easier for beginners.

Thanks for the info!

That's pretty interesting. If it's the NHL you would think they would hire people who have the most experience and get the best ice possible, but maybe it's a monetary thing. Thanks again!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for the info!

That's pretty interesting. If it's the NHL you would think they would hire people who have the most experience and get the best ice possible, but maybe it's a monetary thing. Thanks again!

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a contract with Olympia. Being the official resurfacer for an Original 6 team is good publicity, and an exclusivity contract gets you that official title.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I wonder how long it will be before nobody knows how to tell time on a watch dial anymore
Way back in 2002, I dated a young lady whose 15 year old honor-student brother couldn’t tell time on an analog clock. And if I remember correctly, he couldn’t tie his shoes, either. Velcro sneakers his whole life.

He was a certified genius, but never felt the need to learn those skills.

Back on topic: Fix the motherf*cking ice, Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->