Confirmed with Link: [TBL/VGK] Gusev, 2017 2nd, 2018 4th to select Garrison in 2017 Vegas Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
On the other hand teams made decisions regarding NMCs with no idea that they would later be forced to lose the future of their respective franchises in an expansion draft because of them. It's one thing for teams to lose players because the cap drops or stays stagnant - that was a reasonably foreseen potential outcome. But an expansion draft with such a limited number of players protected combined with forced protection for NMCs is not something that GMs should reasonably have seen coming and should therefore be punished by.

Personally I think the fairest solution to all concerned is to allow players with NMCs to be unprotected and to compensate them if they're drafted. Either a fixed monetary value or a percentage of the player's remaining contract, immediately payable to the player but not counting against the cap. A potential owner who can afford a half-billion dollar expansion fee can afford to give a player with an NMC a few million extra to make up for him having to move.

Either that or allow for more players to be protected.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Absolutely. Same goes to Filppula, who has a limited NMC. I would get rid of him 5 times before Callahan. He lacks chemistry with too many players (something we can't say about Callahan) and it just makes too much sense for Namestnikov to be our full time 3rd line center instead of shuffling him around in purgatory like this every night.

Oh god. Flip brings so much more then Callahan. Your hurting my brain.

If we have to lose a piece of the core for Callahan's sake I'm gonna be a sad panda.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh god. Flip brings so much more then Callahan. Your hurting my brain.

If we have to lose a piece of the core for Callahan's sake I'm gonna be a sad panda.

He brings more but doesn't do it. I've seen enough games where he played 17+ minutes and manged only a shot on goal and a -1 on a pointless night to know this isn't going to suddenly change.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He brings more but doesn't do it. I've seen enough games where he played 17+ minutes and manged only a shot on goal and a -1 on a pointless night to know this isn't going to suddenly change.

...Callahan basically does the exact same thing. Except Coop uses Flip in more high pressure defensive situations.

And Flip has been by far the better playoff performer. As bad as I think he was during the regular season, he's been valuable in the playoffs. He also makes 800k less on a shorter deal. If we were able to give up one, it'd be Callahan.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Protected list

Stamkos
Drouin
Killorn
Kucherov
Palat
Johnson
Namestnikov

Hedman
Stralman
Garrison

Hopefully Koekkoek is technically protected.

Bishop

If a contract can be negotiated, protect Bishop and trade Vasilevskiy for the best return you can get. If unable you trade him for a motherload and protect Vasilevskiy as the franchise goalie. You DO NOT accidentally stumble onto a gold mine and give it up. Take your chances and draft another young prospect.

I hate to say it but I'm starting to think we're gonna be forced to buyout Callahan by the time the expansion draft hits. For as much as I would hate to lose him, I can't justify protecting a player who is 31 years old and has only scored twice in 36 playoff games in a Lightning uniform JUST because he has an NMC. That predicament is as dangerous as tossing a match in a dynamite factory and I'll be damned if we're going to lose a guy like Killorn who always comes up big in big moments. Or Namestnikov who has not had his day yet and will be the best defensive center on the team. If Callahan didn't have an NMC we could've probably left him open (without him getting picked up) and protected one of our players in the process. I pray to God he proves me wrong.

think its 8 forward 3 defenseman 1 goalie im counting 7 forwards?

Koekkoek will need to be protected so swap him with Garrison who we'll need to expose to reach the 25% threshold.
The problem with a Callahan buyout is his salary drops in the last two years of his contract which makes his buyout tough as he has a nearly a 3mil hit in I believe 18-19 19-20. It's not buyout proof but with the way our contracts are shaping up even saving 3mil by buying him out will be tough, might need to get him to waive and trade with some retention.

agreed bold
https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/ryan_callahan

buy out 2016-2017 i think he gets one more year for now but is only 1.8 million

In regards to buying out Callahan instead of protecting him, can probably trade him to one of the expansion teams(I can see him doing it as he would be the Captain without a doubt and would help the team set an atmosphere in the locker room instantly). Would probably have to add a little something something but wouldn't need to be substantial.

i see him as a buy out after next season if he doesnt pick up his game get back to last years form

problem is filppula can be taken over by namestnikov whereas callahan is not someone to take his role etc..

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Someone posted this on the main forum...

:bolts:
Protected:
Forwards: Callahan(NMC), Filppula(NMC), Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, Drouin
Defense: Hedman, Stralman, Koekkoek
Goalie: Vasilevsky
Exempt: DeAngelo, Point, Masin
Exposed: Bishop(*NMC,UFA),Boyle, Killorn, Garrison, Coburn, Namestnikov, Carle

The only question is Filppula, if he truly has a full NMC. It seems a little uncertain.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Someone posted this on the main forum...

:bolts:
Protected:
Forwards: Callahan(NMC), Filppula(NMC), Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, Drouin
Defense: Hedman, Stralman, Koekkoek
Goalie: Vasilevsky
Exempt: DeAngelo, Point, Masin
Exposed: Bishop(*NMC,UFA),Boyle, Killorn, Garrison, Coburn, Namestnikov, Carle

The only question is Filppula, if he truly has a full NMC. It seems a little uncertain.

We would trade or at worst buy out Filppula before we wasted a protection spot on him and exposed Namestnikov. Other than that it's pretty accurate assuming Stamkos comes back.

If we give Killorn a one-year deal this summer then he'll be a UFA the summer of the draft. If Stamkos is resigned we're probably losing Killer anyway; if Stammer walks then we have a protection spot for him, so either way we don't have to worry about him being drafted.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
think its 8 forward 3 defenseman 1 goalie im counting 7 forwards?

agreed bold
https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/ryan_callahan

buy out 2016-2017 i think he gets one more year for now but is only 1.8 million

i see him as a buy out after next season if he doesnt pick up his game get back to last years form

problem is filppula can be taken over by namestnikov whereas callahan is not someone to take his role etc..

Callahan if bought out this offseason would have a cap penalty of 1.16, 1.16, 2.96, 2.96, 1.86, 1.86, 1.86, 1.86. The next two years and the last few aren't so bad it's those nearly 3mil ones when we have a lot of resigning to do. If we do it after next season it's 1.06, 2.86, 2.86, 1.76, 1.76, 1.76 much better but still those really high years hurt. Not sure why we front loaded his salary it hurts the buyout possibility.

Brown has slightly taken Callahan spot for much less, wish he was healthy now to see if last postseason success could continue. Marchessault can bring more offense than Callahan for less. Nobody can match Callahan at shot blocking and PK but we can go after a Matt Martin for 1.5 mil to take that role.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Callahan if bought out this offseason would have a cap penalty of 1.16, 1.16, 2.96, 2.96, 1.86, 1.86, 1.86, 1.86. The next two years and the last few aren't so bad it's those nearly 3mil ones when we have a lot of resigning to do. If we do it after next season it's 1.06, 2.86, 2.86, 1.76, 1.76, 1.76 much better but still those really high years hurt. Not sure why we front loaded his salary it hurts the buyout possibility.

Don't forget that we're also almost certainly going to have to buy out Carle. So those high years will also have Carle's $1.83M added to Callahan's $2.96 - that's almost $5M of dead money on the books.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Don't forget that we're also almost certainly going to have to buy out Carle. So those high years will also have Carle's $1.83M added to Callahan's $2.96 - that's almost $5M of dead money on the books.

Not ideal but that's better than 11.3mil in dead money.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Let Las Vegas draft Carle in order to reach the cap floor. Problem solved.

NHL better speed up their expansion plans.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To buyout Callahan would actually cost the team much more than they think it's not happening. Even if he is only playing like a 3 million player maybe 4 million this season , that is the price tag for a solid very strong defensive 3rd liner who is one of the best PK'ers in the league. So that would be 3 million for the buy out plus 3 to 4 million to replace all his attributes and that is not a 1.5 to 2.0 million 4th liner even in a down season he is better than that. So would cost Yzerman 3 + 3.5 to 4 = 6.5 to 7 million in those several seasons just to replace him.

Also, can you at least give him another season to bounce back from a season when more than half the team was down, before you throw him under the bus? Thanks!

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
To buyout Callahan would actually cost the team much more than they think it's not happening.

i disagree i see callahan bought out after next year if he doesnt seriously get better in scoring next season

he gets one more season to turn it around but if hes at 0.3 range we buy him out...

carle to me is not a buy out i see all of you saying that

i think we move carle to a low cap team easily after what hes done the last two months

he has scored at 0.5 basically and playing 20 minutes a game that has worth in nhl for teams looking to add a d guy and reach the cap floor

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
i disagree i see callahan bought out after next year if he doesnt seriously get better in scoring next season

he gets one more season to turn it around but if hes at 0.3 range we buy him out...

carle to me is not a buy out i see all of you saying that

i think we move carle to a low cap team easily after what hes done the last two months

he has scored at 0.5 basically and playing 20 minutes a game that has worth in nhl for teams looking to add a d guy and reach the cap floor

He will play here at least till 2018. If he does not have two good seasons then I see him being moved in that summer of 2018.

This time can't follow him but will certainty root for that team as a secondary. Will also be the day I get banned here for good. Lol

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To buyout Callahan would actually cost the team much more than they think it's not happening. Even if he is only playing like a 3 million player maybe 4 million this season , that is the price tag for a solid very strong defensive 3rd liner who is one of the best PK'ers in the league. So that would be 3 million for the buy out plus 3 to 4 million to replace all his attributes and that is not a 1.5 to 2.0 million 4th liner even in a down season he is better than that. So would cost Yzerman 3 + 3.5 to 4 = 6.5 to 7 million in those several seasons just to replace him.

Also, can you at least give him another season to bounce back from a season when more than half the team was down, before you throw him under the bus? Thanks!

Brown made 950k this year, he'll probably get 1.5 his next deal. Callahan buyout it's highest two years is 2.8 then add Brown at 1.5 and you have 4.3 for similar production while saving 1.5. 1.5 million we save can cover Killorns raise. So we keep Killorn and have Brown take Callahan spot all for what Callahan made himself.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brown made 950k this year, he'll probably get 1.5 his next deal. Callahan buyout it's highest two years is 2.8 then add Brown at 1.5 and you have 4.3 for similar production while saving 1.5. 1.5 million we save can cover Killorns raise. So we keep Killorn and have Brown take Callahan spot all for what Callahan made himself.

Tell ya what when Brown scores over 20 goals, and puts up over 40 points will agree with you. Not going to argue Cally had a down season, but if he goes back or even close to his 1st season, than this discussion does not happen.

Cally in one of his worst years was more productive than Brown in his best year, come on man.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Tell ya what when Brown scores over 20 goals, and puts up over 40 points will agree with you. Not going to argue Cally had a down season, but if he goes back or even close to his 1st season, than this discussion does not happen.

Cally in one of his worst years was more productive than Brown in his best year, come on man.

i will always root for callahan to put it back together most do

i dont know how many guys have a terrible season than bounce back for whatever reason chances luck confidence back to normal whatever

and brown doesnt replace cally in any situation would need someone else for sure :)

brown can take some of the pk but offensively is a no and i dont want brown anywhere but shut down 3 or 4 period even though got a lot of love for brown this year

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
i will always root for callahan to put it back together most do

i dont know how many guys have a terrible season than bounce back for whatever reason chances luck confidence back to normal whatever

and brown doesnt replace cally in any situation would need someone else for sure :)

brown can take some of the pk but offensively is a no and i dont want brown anywhere but shut down 3 or 4 period even though got a lot of love for brown this year

Robert, if Callahan has another bad season next year, will drive him to the airport myself. ;)

As per Brown, his ceiling is Callahan's floor. It will take much more than a 1.5 million contract to replace Ryan Callahan. So buying him out is not an option, but in 2018, if he is not at least around a .50 to .60 production or more, he is likely gonna be moved. A day I am not looking forward to.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

Right, if Callahan can get back to the form that earned him his contract then it's not problem but if he can't then he's a liability. If you give Callahan's minutes to Brown then Brown's production would most likely be greater than Callahan's this past season

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Robert, if Callahan has another bad season next year, will drive him to the airport myself. ;)

As per Brown, his ceiling is Callahan's floor. It will take much more than a 1.5 million contract to replace Ryan Callahan. So buying him out is not an option, but in 2018, if he is not at least around a .50 to .60 production or more, he is likely gonna be moved. A day I am not looking forward to.

im ok if he is shut down role and 0.4 he can hit that easily with right usage

again everything this team does COOPER doesnt work best for individual players lol maybe he gets it more right in time

just 0.3 and 6 million is no good

but look at carle he was cannon fodder for the whole season and i really think his bounce back makes him movable instead of str8 buy out which shows it can be done

his good days are really worth less than callahans bad days in overall picture

carle is always a liability callahan is not liability till it comes to deciding do we keep x or callahan and that is a decision we have to make during expansion not right now

at least thats my thought process

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
im ok if he is shut down role and 0.4 he can hit that easily with right usage

again everything this team does COOPER doesnt work best for individual players lol maybe he gets it more right in time

just 0.3 and 6 million is no good

but look at carle he was cannon fodder for the whole season and i really think his bounce back makes him movable instead of str8 buy out which shows it can be done

his good days are really worth less than callahans bad days in overall picture

carle is always a liability callahan is not liability till it comes to deciding do we keep x or callahan and that is a decision we have to make during expansion not right now

at least thats my thought process

Cally should be between a .50 to .60 production wise, which is about 45 to 50 points, while also playing his two way style and leading the PK and getting PP time. That justifies his contract. Anything over 50 points is extra gravy. Give him the right linemates, does not need Stamkos, but guys like Paquette where he has no chemisty with kills his offense. If we had a Brown - Flip - Cally line, he would score and put up offense. As per tonight, I want to see Cally and JAM together for a few shifts tonight. Cally usally throws the puck in front of the net, where as JAM shoots in front of the net. Perfect match up there.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I just don't see a buyout of Callahan happening. Too expensive and doesn't save enough cap. Maybe we can get Buffalo to take him if we retain. I'm sure Callahan wouldn't mind going there if they start to turn the corner as we expect.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyway done with the Callahan talk for now, just think people are being over the top with wanting to move him. Whatever. Don't feel like getting yelled at again so I'm just going to let it go for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad